Tell Congress to Protect Older Americans on Medicare and Not the Profits of the Big Drug Companies. Take Action Now!

Treasured Social Butterfly

Re: Omeprazole - Another Health Insurance Rip-off

Message 1 of 4

Thanks for your replies - as I said I am on my wifes Employer Based - Cadillac Healthcare Plan - from BC/BS - No Cost - No Premiums and until recently No Insurmountable Problems except for this Omeprazole issue

Humana - No thanks

Supplemental - No Thanks - I'm on Medicare Part A not by Choice but because I have to be - I declined Part B until my wife retires.............................

I can tell you this - I'm not paying $50 for 60 pills that retail for 50 cents each - I'm a Veteran and I can get my Rx's through the VA - a 90 day supply will cost me about $20 but then they will just backcharge my wife's employer through BC/BS

A real Conundrum

( " Eat Tic Tacs - Grope Woman - Become President " ) " - Anonymous

Report Inappropriate Content
Bronze Conversationalist

Message 2 of 4

Consider a Medicare Part D plan.  You prescription will be $3.00 for 90 days as Omeprazole is a Tier 1 generic on most plans.  You will have to pay a monthly premium of about $40 a month (total - medicare part D premium plus plan premium).

Info Seeker

Message 3 of 4

i don't know what kind of insurance you have but i have been on omepazole 40 mg. for several years and pay zero copay with humana for a ninty day supply. if i get it at cvs i pay six dollars.

Treasured Social Butterfly

Omeprazole - Another Health Insurance Rip-off

Message 4 of 4

I'm 68 years old and have been taking Prescription Strength Omeprazole twice daily as a Non-Brand Name Generic for 25 years.

I'm also a spousal member on one of those so-called Cadillac Employer Provided Health-insurance plans administered through BC/BS of Massachusetts offered at no-cost from my wife's employer

I've also tried several Omeprazole Over the Counter substitutes like Zantac 150 - Non-Prescription Strength Omeprazole Etc - I might as well take a Placebo - they are not effective......................

My Co-pay for this Drug has gone up & down over the 25 years reaching it's highest level a few years ago at $15 for a months supply - 60 capsules

Last Month I received a letter from BC/BS of Massachusetts advising me that my Co-pay for Omeprazole is once again increasing from the $15 Co-pay Tier to the $50 Co-pay tier

So now I'm up to almost $1 per capsule

So I did some research & - according to Wikipedia

Omeprazole was discovered in 1979.[5] It is on the World Health Organization's List of Essential Medicines, the most effective and safe medicines needed in a health system.[6] It is available as a generic medication.[1] The wholesale cost in the developing world as of 2014 is US$0.01 to US$0.07 per dose.[7] In the United States it costs on average US$0.50 per pill.[8]

Now I'm assuming one of the so-called self-described Healthcare Experts on this AARP Site is going to Pontificate that this is just another example of the horrific destruction Obamacare has caused in our Healthcare System and I am going to respond once again - that NO this is simply another example of Greed and the lack of effort by all the Bums in the US Congress both Republican & Democrat to do something meaningful to address the high cost of US Healthcare & Rx Drug Costs & for no other reason than to continue to protect Pure Corporate Greed

1. Average World Cost 1 Cent per pill Average US Retail Cost - $0.50 - that's 50 cents per pill - just my Co-pay is almost $1.00 pill and I asked the CVS Pharmacist is I were to purchase this prescription without Insurance and paid cash - how much would it be?

She said - $126.50

So where is all the other money going?

What is it being used for?

This pill has been around for 38 years surely the cost of the research & development has been covered by now

( " Eat Tic Tacs - Grope Woman - Become President " ) " - Anonymous

Prepare to Care: A Resource Guide for Families download this free guide developed by AARP to help make caregiving more manageable. It includes information on how to have vital conversations with older family members, organize important documents, assess your loved one's needs and locate important resources.