Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

Regular Contributor

Need help applying for part B

Can anyone please help? I have no idea where to turn...
I have been on my wife's health plan with Kaiser and on medicare for the past 5 years. I did not sign up for medicare part B because I am on her plan.
She is retiring next month so I need to get onto part B ASAP.
I have filled out the required forms.
On Nov 15, I faxed them to social security. I've gotten no response.
On Dec 4 I mailed them to SS. I've gotten no response.
On Dec 12, I filled out the online enrollment form that SS provides. I've gotten no response other than the immediate email stating my application was submitted.
It is impossible to talk with a human being at SS without going through hours of being on hold on the phone or standing in line at an office. Their website states "contact medicare with status questions."
Medicare is totally useless. They do have an online chat which I have attempted several times and they have always said, they cannot help at all. They just tell me to ask social security.
Kaiser is of no help either. They just tell me to talk to either SS or medicare.

Is anyone familiar with any of these procedures?
How long does it take to actually get onto part B after doing any of the above?
My health plan ends at the end of January and I am beginning to think I may end up with no coverage at all by that point.
Please! I just don't know who to turn to at this point.

Honored Social Butterfly

SSA.gov - PUBLICATION (pdf). How to Apply for Medicare Part B (Medical Insurance) During Your Special Enrollment Period.

If you have followed the instructions on page 2 of this publication under the heading of โ€œHow To Applyโ€ then you should be fine.  

As long as they are able to determine that the coverage you have had under under your wifeโ€™s employer group plan met the eligibility criteria to use in place of having Part B (and Part D) Medicare- thatโ€™s what these forms are for- 

Check your mySocialSecurity account to see if โ€œMedicare Part Bโ€ has been added.  

You can also check your SS benefit to see if Part B premiums have started being deducted.

You should also get a new Medicare Card showing the addition of Part B and the effective date of coverage.

I assume you gave them the beginning date of January 2024 as your begin date.  That means that Part B premiums should be deducted from your January 2024 SS benefit.  Think it is $174.90 per month for 2024.

BTW - donโ€™t forget your Part D and to choose how you want to receive your Medicare benefit either under a Medicare Advantage plan OR under the traditional program with or without a MediGAP supplemental plan.

It's Always Something . . . . Roseanna Roseannadanna
0 Kudos
Regular Contributor

They did not ask for a start date. I read that it usually starts the next month but since this month is half over I am wondering if it will happen by January. If it goes into Feb my care will end by then. There is no indication on the SS page that part B has been added. They say ask Medicare but Medicare has been totally uncooperative with me.

Honored Social Butterfly

Have you decided how you want to get your Medicare benefit - Medicare Advantage with an included Part D 

OR

Traditional Medicare with a linked MediGAP plan

You have to have Part B to sign up for either of these Medicare methods - so you could see an independent Medicare Insurance broker to get one of these methods ready and see if the broker maybe able to get your Part B status some way other than going thru SSA.

Do you have a Medicare account?  Sign up, if not - 

Medicare.gov - account 

There is an option there to print your Medicare card - maybe it has been updated with the new Part and effective date.

Thatโ€™s all I have - I am sure they (SSA) are swamped and have all this current attention on them -  they have new hires that all have to be trained and they arenโ€™t doing too well at retaining the seasoned employees either.

Regular Contributor

Since I am currently on my wife's plan I will stay with that health provider (Kaiser). I have already attended a seminar and know exactly which senior advantage plan to sign up with. 

Yes I know I have to have part B. This is why I a have been going through all this.

I don't know anything about Medicare brokers? Where do I find one?

Yes, I have a medicare account and have had medicare part A for 5 years.

The SS security website has me listed as part A only along with my current Kaiser plan. 

The LEAST SS should do in my opinion is acknowledge the fact that the application has been received. That's why I have applied 3 different ways. No mention whatsoever that they even received any of them. I cannot stand in line for 3 hours waiting to get inside the building. I have health issues.

this is health care in the United States of America. Absolutely shameful.

Honored Social Butterfly

@Jay968 said

I don't know anything about Medicare brokers? Where do I find one?

========================

In your situation - that would be a Kaiser Medicare Advantage broker or agent - call them and tell them which Kaiser MAPD plan you wish to pick up - if they have a place to check on your Part B enrollment - they should be able to go ahead and set it up with an effective date, tell you your premiums and get the EOC to you for this new plan.

Yea, I would like SSA to be more responsive but at present, it just isnโ€™t that way - I think presently, getting your new card or just tracking your premiums is the only sure fire way of knowing you have coverage and when it started.  

You should be fine - sounds like you took the right actions.

Medicare.gov - When Does Medicare Coverage Start?

FindYour Specific Condition.

You should be fine.

Regular Contributor

Kaiser is almost as bad as SS and Medicare.

They want nothing to do with helping out with getting onto nor checking on part B. They only say you have to have it.

I'm sure I have taken the right actions. I had no choice, I followed directions.

Again, it would be nice if someone at least acknowledged anything. That's my biggest problem. Apparently I have to wait what may be several more weeks when my current Kaiser plan is almost due to expire before I will know anything. My fear is that I just might have to start all over again and be without coverage for a month or more. Unfortunately I do have some major health issues and being without coverage for even a month could devastate me.

Anyway thanks for your help.

cancel
Showing results forย 
Showย ย onlyย  | Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Block Champ and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP