Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

NYC Forcing retired city employees to move from Medicare to Medicare Advantage

Contributor

NYC Forcing retired city employees to move from Medicare to Medicare Advantage

Are you aware that the City of NY is forcing its retirees to move from original Medicare, which typically does not require advanced approval for basic or necessary procedures, to a privately managed healh plan, aka Medicare Advantage, where retirees will need to wait for approval for some procedures and where retirees who have doctors that won't accept the Medicare Advantage plan will either have to find other doctors that do, or else pay the doctors up front (if they can afford to), and possibly more than Medicare would otherwise pay, and then have to do paperwork to request reimbursement from the Medicare Advantage plan, and hope someday to actually be reimbursed? Maybe you can look into this and help the retirees. This plan will go live September 1st if not stopped. Thank you.

Kudos
Views
Replies
0 Kudos
Contributor

You might need to "allow ads" in order to view this if you do not have a subscription to the Daily News.

Mayor Adams signs controversial contract that eliminates traditional Medicare for retired NYC workers

Mayor Adams signs controversial contract that eliminates traditional Medicare for retired NYC worker...

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

Here is another article on it which also talks about the big move in this direction in both government and private industry plans.

It is being done to save money -  in government, it is saving the taxpayers. In private industry, the company saves.

Something like this was  bound to happen as healthcare cost soar.

There is not a paywall for this NYT article

NYT 03/10/2023 - More Retiree Health Plans Move Away From Traditional Medicare

It's Always Something . . . . Roseanna Roseannadanna
Kudos
Views
0 Kudos

How are the savings achieved?

0 Kudos
Contributor

If someone reading this knows the answer, please post. Thanks.

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

Here is a very detailed article from the NYDAILY 

NYDAILY 03/31/2023 - NYC mayor signs contract that eliminates traditional Medicare for retired city ...

It's Always Something . . . . Roseanna Roseannadanna
0 Kudos
Contributor

Thank you. Unfortunately the article is actually behind a paywall.

0 Kudos
Regular Social Butterfly

Hi, @rkthesenior !

Would you be able to provide citations for this? I ask because having worked for the National Association of Insurance Commissioners (NAIC) before retirement, I haven't seen anything about this.

It does seem possibly bordering on illegal, but NY has always led on insurance legislation that later becomes national.

Thank you in advance!

#StaySafe

#VegasStrong
Phil Harris, actor and showman, to John Fogerty of CCR: โ€œIf Iโ€™d known Iโ€™d live this long, Iโ€™d have taken better care of myself.โ€
0 Kudos
Super Contributor

Here is a March 10 article on a labor website.

"Defying two years of protests and lawsuits by union retirees, New York Cityโ€™s Municipal Labor Committee voted March 9 to scrap some of the best retiree health care coverage in the country. The change would put 250,000 city retirees into a for-profit Medicare Advantage plan run by Aetna."

https://www.labornotes.org/2023/03/new-york-city-retirees-fight-their-own-unions-stop-catastrophic-h...

Contributor

Thank you. I thought I'd responded with an article but apparently it never posted. The one you posted is actually better.

0 Kudos
Regular Social Butterfly

Thank you, @DirkB349973 ! This is appalling!

AARP needs to get involved because this is not acceptable, ever, imho!

#VegasStrong
Phil Harris, actor and showman, to John Fogerty of CCR: โ€œIf Iโ€™d known Iโ€™d live this long, Iโ€™d have taken better care of myself.โ€
0 Kudos
Contributor

Since AARP offers a Medicare Advantage plan, I'm not confident that AARP will choose to get involved. I am hoping, however, that someone from AARP is actually reading this thread and that AARP will help seniors. This is, after all, its mission - to help make sure seniors are not taken for granted or advantage of. The city should find another way to save money and not put the burden on retirees.

0 Kudos
cancel
Showing results forย 
Showย ย onlyย  | Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Atari Centipedeยฎ and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP