Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

Regular Contributor

Mental Health drugs

I am starting on Medicare August 1st , I have chosen my supplement and selected a prescription plan (Aetna Silver Scripts Smart). I am trying to get all my ducks in a row for a smooth transition with no surprises. Boy did I hit a glitch with my mental health drugs. I have suffered from depression and anxiety for over 30 years and from what I am finding out I may have to go off my medication. My anti-anxiety medication is priced at $485 for a 90 day supply and my depression medication buproprion xl will cost about $85 for a 90 day supply. Along with my blood pressure medication which are a nominal price. I am already stressing about this. Why are mental health generic meds so high? I am researching other options, CostPlus etc.

0 Kudos
Contributor

Take a look at Mark Cuban's Cost Plus Drug Company.  I am stunned at the prices.  They are cheaper than my copays.  

0 Kudos
Regular Contributor

Yes they are.

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

How and why did you pick this prescription drug plan if these are the only drugs you take and they are generic?  Did you check the formulary for several different ones in your area?  

In general, Medicare PDP (Prescription Drug Plans) usually have either

• a low(er) premium and have a deductible (2022 - I think is $ 480.00) OR 
  • they have a higher premium and no deductible

Medicare Prescription Drug Coverage is insurance - with insurance comes a shared risk.

You may well find that using any Medicare Part D plan isn't the cheapest drug use route for you with these generic meds.  Perhaps using a discount pharmacy or coupon could be better - like CostPlus or GoodRx.   But you have to have a Part D plan to avoid a late signup premium surcharge - you can change your choice of PDP every year during open enrollment.

The one drug you mentioned may well have a "quantity limit" as a condition.

Make sure that you are only picking a free standing PDP since you said you were not picking a Medicare Advantage plan for your Medicare coverage with an included MAPDP (Medicare Advantage Plan with Prescription Drug Coverage).

Why don't you see a LOCAL Medicare insurance broker in your area - they can help you and there is no fee.  Or you can contact your state's SHIP (State Health Insurance Plan) office

These are volunteers but sometimes they can help too.

There is little other info that I can give since PDP vary by location / plan / meds and whether or not you want the deductible or not cause that varies by the cost and tier of the meds you take - 

It's Always Something . . . . Roseanna Roseannadanna
0 Kudos
Regular Contributor

I will admit I am ignorant when it comes to Medicare. Even though I have a broker and I read the material sent to me. It blows me away that mental health drugs are pin pointed for higher cost when Mental Health is an issue with the entire country. I guess I need to make calls to find out what to do. 

0 Kudos
cancel
Showing results forย 
Showย ย onlyย  | Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Block Champ and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP