Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

Super Contributor

Medigap premiums after age 85?

I've searched and searched on this site and google but can't find any information on Medicare Supplement insurance rates for over 85 year olds.  All of the sources I can find top out at 85 and offer very little in the way of information after that.  

Does anybody know if premiums remain affordable after 85 or do we basically just have to do without?

0 Kudos
Conversationalist

Are you looking to BUY coverage at 85 or higher or just wondering what your premium would be once you turn age 85? If so, how old are you now, what is your state and zip, which carrier and plan do you have?

Bark less. Wag more.
0 Kudos
Super Contributor

I'm 67 and paying for a medicare supplement right now (Old Surety).  I've not been able to find any iformation on premiums for over 85 year olds.  So I'm guessing we are effectively uninsurable from a supplement standpoint (as it would cost so much for one).

0 Kudos
Conversationalist

@sktn77a I count 50 carriers in my area offering the G plan at age 85. Rates range from $156 to $470

Bark less. Wag more.
Kudos
Views
0 Kudos
Super Contributor

Yes, you can get prices from everyone for up to 85 years old.  But NOBODY posts prices from 86 years old and up.

0 Kudos
Conversationalist

@sktn77a premium rates for higher ages are available IF you know where to look.

I don't know what your fixation is with rates at older ages. Even if you could find rates today that kind of information is useless unless you are already age 85.

FWIW, of the 50+ carriers who are currently writing Medigap in my state I can probably count on one hand those that were writing coverage here 5 years ago.

Bark less. Wag more.
Kudos
Views
Super Contributor

Not "fixating".  Simple question - What are supplement rates for seniors OVER 85 years of age.  If you don't have an answer, please don't respond with smart comments.

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

@sktn77a wrote:

Not "fixating".  Simple question - What are supplement rates for seniors OVER 85 years of age. 

I just replied to another poster and gave him a link to his states (NH) Dept of Insurance where the 2019 Medigap insurers, plans which they carry and the premiums for each of the plans -

Their list went up to age 90 - perhaps some states just don't take it all the way up to that age thinking that people that age are already set in the Medigap plan which they want and the annual premium is communicated directly to them.

Here is a look at NH -

NH - Dept of Ins - Guide to Medicare Supplemental Plans - Companies, Rates and Useful Information

Sorry, don't know why this state gives this info and yours does not - seems your states dept of ins. would be the place to ask for whatever your reason.

Like somarco said, these are annual premiums - they change or can change so the age where a person is now is what is important to most.

It's Always Something . . . . Roseanna Roseannadanna
0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

@sktn77a wrote:

I'm 67 and paying for a medicare supplement right now (Old Surety).  I've not been able to find any iformation on premiums for over 85 year olds.  So I'm guessing we are effectively uninsurable from a supplement standpoint (as it would cost so much for one).

As long as you pay your premiums, Medigap plans are guaranteed renewable.

I know plenty of 90+ year olds that continue to pay for their Medigap plan. 

Yes, their premiums are slightly on the high side but they still feel comfortable with them.  They would rather have this piece of mind coverage.

When choosing the way you want to get your Medicare benefits, you can:

• Pay more now to pay less later (as in traditional Medicare + a Medigap )

OR

• Pay less now to pay more later (Medicare Advantage)

If you are only 67 now -'the premiums for an 85 year old are worthless because that is 18 years from now and anything could happen in that period of time with Medicare.

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

You Medigap premiums are based on the way your pokicy is rated AND the state (actually area of the state) where you live.

Medigap policy rating methods:

Medicare.gov - Cost of Medigap Policies

Medicare.gov - Medigap Rating Methods Described

Your premiums can also rise because of medical inflation.

This booklet from Medicare may also help you - at the end of the booklet is a list of phone numbers for each state's Dept of Ins. 

Medicare.gov - 2019 Choosing a Medigap Policy

Many times but not all, states (Dept of Insurance) publish the most current Medigap rate if it is based on a Community rating method or they say how the policy is rated. 

Some states have more lenient rules on changing policies WITHOUT underwriting.

This may also be helpful if you are considering a change -

Medicare.gov - Switching Medigap Policies

Yes, Medigap policies do get expensive - the Medicare choices are pretty simple for everybody -

• Pay more in premiums in order to pay less of the medical bill

(traditional Medicare with a Medigap)    

OR

• Pay less in premiums in order to pay more of the medical bill

( Medicare Advantage plan)

Kudos
Views
0 Kudos
Super Contributor

Thanks Gail.  Yes, I understand all that.  What about Medigap poliie over age 85?

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

@sktn77a wrote:

Thanks Gail.  Yes, I understand all that.  What about Medigap poliie over age 85?

Sorry, guess I misunderstood your initial question -

For specifics - age, plan, specific insurer or a comparison of others, underwriting necessity, etc.  -  in your state - you can contact a local Medicare Insurance Broker for a quote - but I might be sitting down.

0 Kudos
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Atari Centipede® and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP