Looking for work? The U.S. Census Bureau is hiring more than 500,000 people nationwide. Learn more.

Frequent Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: Medigap premiums after age 85?

Message 1 of 13

The only ACCURATE source of Medigap rates for all ages in all states is available by subscription.

I have yet to see a state that illustrates CURRENT Medicare supplement rates for EVERY carrier at EVERY age.

Medicare.gov is even worse. In my state they show rates for about 30 carriers yet there are currently 50 carriers writing business. Two thirds of the carriers show are either no longer writing coverage here or they have never offered plans here to my knowledge.

The internet can be a great (free) resource but unless you know where to look, and understand what you are finding, it has little value.

Bark less. Wag more.
Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 2 of 13

@sktn77a wrote:

Not "fixating".  Simple question - What are supplement rates for seniors OVER 85 years of age. 

I just replied to another poster and gave him a link to his states (NH) Dept of Insurance where the 2019 Medigap insurers, plans which they carry and the premiums for each of the plans -

Their list went up to age 90 - perhaps some states just don't take it all the way up to that age thinking that people that age are already set in the Medigap plan which they want and the annual premium is communicated directly to them.

Here is a look at NH -

NH - Dept of Ins - Guide to Medicare Supplemental Plans - Companies, Rates and Useful Information

Sorry, don't know why this state gives this info and yours does not - seems your states dept of ins. would be the place to ask for whatever your reason.

Like somarco said, these are annual premiums - they change or can change so the age where a person is now is what is important to most.

* * * * It's Always Something . . . Roseanne Roseannadanna
Kudos
Views
Silver Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 3 of 13

Not "fixating".  Simple question - What are supplement rates for seniors OVER 85 years of age.  If you don't have an answer, please don't respond with smart comments.

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Kudos
Views

Message 4 of 13

@sktn77a premium rates for higher ages are available IF you know where to look.

I don't know what your fixation is with rates at older ages. Even if you could find rates today that kind of information is useless unless you are already age 85.

FWIW, of the 50+ carriers who are currently writing Medigap in my state I can probably count on one hand those that were writing coverage here 5 years ago.

Bark less. Wag more.
Kudos
Views
Silver Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 5 of 13

Yes, you can get prices from everyone for up to 85 years old.  But NOBODY posts prices from 86 years old and up.

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 6 of 13

@sktn77a I count 50 carriers in my area offering the G plan at age 85. Rates range from $156 to $470

Bark less. Wag more.
Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 7 of 13

@sktn77a wrote:

I'm 67 and paying for a medicare supplement right now (Old Surety).  I've not been able to find any iformation on premiums for over 85 year olds.  So I'm guessing we are effectively uninsurable from a supplement standpoint (as it would cost so much for one).

As long as you pay your premiums, Medigap plans are guaranteed renewable.

I know plenty of 90+ year olds that continue to pay for their Medigap plan. 

Yes, their premiums are slightly on the high side but they still feel comfortable with them.  They would rather have this piece of mind coverage.

When choosing the way you want to get your Medicare benefits, you can:

• Pay more now to pay less later (as in traditional Medicare + a Medigap )

OR

• Pay less now to pay more later (Medicare Advantage)

If you are only 67 now -'the premiums for an 85 year old are worthless because that is 18 years from now and anything could happen in that period of time with Medicare.

Kudos
Views
Silver Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 8 of 13

I'm 67 and paying for a medicare supplement right now (Old Surety).  I've not been able to find any iformation on premiums for over 85 year olds.  So I'm guessing we are effectively uninsurable from a supplement standpoint (as it would cost so much for one).

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 9 of 13

Are you looking to BUY coverage at 85 or higher or just wondering what your premium would be once you turn age 85? If so, how old are you now, what is your state and zip, which carrier and plan do you have?

Bark less. Wag more.
Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 10 of 13

@sktn77a wrote:

Thanks Gail.  Yes, I understand all that.  What about Medigap poliie over age 85?

Sorry, guess I misunderstood your initial question -

For specifics - age, plan, specific insurer or a comparison of others, underwriting necessity, etc.  -  in your state - you can contact a local Medicare Insurance Broker for a quote - but I might be sitting down.

Kudos
Views
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

Open Enrollment: Oct 15-Dec 7, 2019 Find resources to help you decide on the best healthcare insurance plans for you during Open Enrollment season

Top Authors