Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

Contributor

Medicare overreach

I was told Medicare’s making providers complete an additional form for all Medicare patients at every visit to clinic, ER, Hospital etc., that asks the patient exactly when/if they retired?  I don’t feel that’s any of their business nor the facility you’re visiting. I understand the other questions on form referring to black lung disease benefits or VA benefits, but rest is none of their business-It’s difficult enough trying to protect our personal info these days.  Not to mention that Medicare themselves “already have that info” in their own records from when that person became enrolled in Medicare in the first place, so there’s no excuse for them asking it on this form at every doctor visit?? So What’s REALLY going on? Seems like an overreach to me?

0 Kudos
Contributor

The facilities say they are being "forced by Medicare" to ask personal & invasive questions "in public" at the check-in desk...it is none of their business to ask if I'm Disabled or retired-little lone the "day" that I retired-especially because Medicare already knows my circumstances anyway. I had a woman ask me very personal medical questions in front of others while I was checking in for surgery-and she said Medicare is forcing them to ask about my medical condition...this is NOT right-my Dr and Medicare already have this info and they know it!!  This needs to stop!!

Kudos
Views
0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

@c550675b @RayW277343 

If I am understanding both of your post correctly - it sounds like they may be having to verify whether there are other types of health coverage that may be applicable to whatever the health problem.

Example:  Workmans Comp, Employer health insurance (active or retireee), Auto insurance - the same way that they ask about VA health benefits, black lung health benefits and a host of others that could share in the medical cost of a person depending upon the health situation.

For certain types of health conditions and applicable coverage, Medicare will recover some of their cost from the other specific insurer.

CMS.gov Medicare’s Recovery Process

They ask to find out about these other types of insurance coverage that may also be a payer for a beneficiary under certain circumstances.

CMS.gov Reporting Other Health Insurance

It's Always Something . . . . Roseanna Roseannadanna
Kudos
Views
0 Kudos
Contributor

We get calls to our office  asking us this question often when we settle out work injury claims with a medicare set aside. It is over reaching and annoying for us and our clients. What can you do? It is the federal Gov. and you have no choice but to comply 

0 Kudos
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Space Adventure Pinball and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP