Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

Medicare for Disabled Individuals Under 65

Contributor

Medicare for Disabled Individuals Under 65

I am disabled and have been since 2015.  However, my employer had a private disabilty policy and did not pay into Social Security.  I worked there for 17 years so did not have enough recent quarters to qualify for SS Disability.  While the amount I receive is much greater than I would through social security disability, this also means that I don't quallify for medicare through SS.  Or so I thought.  Some one recently told me that he thought that I was wrong about this.  Has anyone else had experience with Medicare being given to people under 65 who are disabled but don't have SS disability payments?

Kudos
Views
Replies
0 Kudos
Conversationalist

@lc92967506  Years ago my wife worked for an employer that did not participate in SS. At one time there were groups that were allowed to opt out of SS. Now is it mostly govt entities, such as school systems, but religious groups can also opt out.

https://www.ssa.gov/slge/faqs.htm

https://www.ssa.gov/planners/retire/religious.html

Medicare eligibility is determined by the SSA. Call 800 772 1213 to determine if you can qualify for Medicare.

Bark less. Wag more.
0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

I am pretty sure most, if not all, employers have to pay into the Medicare program even if they were a non-profit or a local government and I assume that one of those is who you are referring to as your employer.  Correct me, if I am wrong.

Ask them or a quick look at one of your old pay stubs if still available should give you a definitive answer.  Or you could give Medicare a call but be sure to give them the details of your situation because it is way different than the norm especially when dealing with the disability rather than age related coverage.

Let us know how it turns out - cause you probably aren't the only one that this has happened to.  Does your employer not offer you some type of coverage?

It's Always Something . . . . Roseanna Roseannadanna
0 Kudos
Contributor

Thanks for your response.  I will call Medicare.  I know the university at which I worked paid into Medicare but they did not pay into Social Security.  I have TIAA for retirement when I am older.  I have enough quarters for Social Security Retirement from many years ago when I worked in a state university that paid into Social Security (again when I turn 66 years and 10 months)  I have health care insurance (at a high cost) through the Marketplace (ACA).  Retirees (or former disabled workers) are not eligible for health care through my former employer.  I will let you know when I learn the answer to my question.

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

So the real problem is getting Medicare as a disabled person (less than 65)nwithout being on SSDI.

A person who has been certified as disabled by SS begins receiving SSDI then after 24 months on SSDI, they can get Medicare.  Since you aren't getting SSDI, Medicare might have a problem getting you on Medicare earlier than 65 years old.  

If you are vested in Social Security by the University job - seems you should be able to get SSDI but that might preclude your current disability plan - right?  

Sounds like you may have to work this out mathematically for the best benefit to you all the way around - disability income and be best and most reasonable in cost health care coverage for yourself.

You may have to visit a local SS office to get the correct answer or at least talk to some sort of a supervision at the phone SS office - many of these folk just handle everyday type issues and yours is NOT an everyday issue.

In fact, add another call to your list - call the office of your Congressman and see if they can get you an answer after explaining all the details.

Good Luck -

It's Always Something . . . . Roseanna Roseannadanna
0 Kudos
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Space Adventure Pinball and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP