Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

Periodic Contributor

Medicare and at home Covid tests

Am I misunderstanding something? It looks like the Federal government is requiring private insurers to pay for at home Covid tests, but not Medicare?

Please correct me if I am wrong!

Layne

Community Manager
Community Manager

Hello everyone, I work with AARP and hear your frustrations. Is anyone willing to speak with a reporter about being unable to get at-home tests because you are enrolled in Medicare? If so, please reach out to media@aarp.org to connect with AARP's External Relations staff. They will be able to tell you more about the interview opportunity and answer any questions you may have.

0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

HI --- I'd be glad to speak to a reporter about this. I'll send an email to the email address you posted. Thanks for the information. JEFF SMITH / Michigan

0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

You're understanding it correctly Elayne. It's crazy. Medicare doesn't cover at-home Covid tests like private insurance companies do!!! We're in one of the most vulnerable groups and it's not covered!! I've been calling and writing my Congresswoman, US Senators, and the White House about this. AARP: what are you doing to help us get these tests covered through Medicare? Thanks.

0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

That was my opinion too. I was surprised to find there was not more seniors questioning it. At this point, they are telling people that Covid is just something we have to accept as an illness we have to live with.  It seems like they are throwing those of us in our "golden years" under the bus.๐Ÿ˜

Regular Contributor

No need for insurance starting on Wednesday.  Americans will be able to begin ordering rapid COVID-19 tests to their homes free of charge starting Jan. 19 from the federal government. Starting Wednesday, you can order a test from covidtests.gov which the federal government will send out at no cost โ€” including no shipping fees.

Periodic Contributor

But will these free tests be sent out regularly, or is this a one time deal after which everyone who has private insurance will utilize that for their tests?

0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

Hi --- right now - these tests won't be sent out regularly and it's only four at home tests per household that you can order. Yet people with private insurance can get more, that are covered by their insurance at drug stores, etc ---- but Medicare doesn't cover any additional tests than the 4 that the govt is sending out if you request them. Folks need to contact their Congressperson and US Senators and the White House, like I did, demanding that Medicare cover at home tests. THANKS

Kudos
Views
Social Butterfly

cancel
Showing results forย 
Showย ย onlyย  | Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Atari Centipedeยฎ and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP