Take a look at aging around the world in 'A New Age,' a special report by AARP and Magnum Photos.

Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: Medicare and Disability under 65

Message 1 of 27

This is a very old thread, dating to 2014, with a wide range of responses. Admittedly, I have not read them all so there may be a few repeats here. But Medicare for folks under 65 is challenging in most states if you want/need something beyond original Medicare.

If you are under 65 and on SSDI for 24 months you are eligible for Medicare.

https://www.ssa.gov/planners/disability/approval.html

Some states, but not all, have Medicare supplement plans for those under 65. To my knowledge every state has Medicare Advantage for the under 65 crowd.

Medigap pricing for under 65 is incredibly high in many states. Typically 3x to 10x or more the monthly premium for the same plan from the same carrier if you were 65.

Medicare Advantage has lower premiums, often $0, but comes with considerably higher OOP (out of pocket) for approved, in-network expenses. All are managed care with about half HMO.

In addition to Medicare you may qualify for Medicaid. Some specific medical conditions may have organizations that provide financial assistance. For example, if you are on dialysis there may be groups that can help you pay for medical bills and/or insurance.

Bark less. Wag more.
Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 2 of 27

I am on advantage of waiver services in my state and I don't know if it's different state to state, but I'm under 65. It does not help me with the 20 percent, but it does pay my co pay for prescriptions up to 13. It also gives me so many hours a week to have somebody come and help me with things like cleaning, laundry and errands.I can also get things inconsistent and supplies and other medical suppliessupplies.  I got a chair for my bathtub. I'd like to be able to get one of those walk in bath tubs and need to check into it because I'm in them an apartment, and I don't know if Medicare pays all of it or advantage. I don't know if it's different than AARP advantage, but advantage waver in my state is really good and I'm glad I have it. You have to qualify medically and financially. I assume any state that has it you have to be nursing home level of care, but well enough to stay home with someone coming to help you so many hours a week. Is there a different advantage program with AARP because I saw someone say ugh, and I can't imagine not liking advantage waiver services that's through my state, so it makes me wonder if they offer a different one. From what I see plan F is not good because of the cost compared to the services that you get? 

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 3 of 27

I would suggest contacting a gent/broker like myself who specializes in Medicare.  We can go over all the options for you and let you know what you can and cannot get.  

Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 4 of 27

It really depends on what state you are in.

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 5 of 27

Is there any recent information about Medicare under 65 getting Advantage or other supplement?

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 6 of 27

@patwuschke611 wrote:

I totally empathize with you.  No one explained that when you receive your Medicare when

disabled, that whichever plan you choose is a permanent one.  I also chose the F plan due to

the need for several joint replacements.  However, when i tried to down grade,  I was tole NO!

Almost $500 a month PLUS persciption coverage is OVERWHELMING.

You can choose an Advantage plan (yuck) or straight Medicare at 80%.  

The premiums are the same everywhere I am told. Not much of a choice

patwuschke611,

In some states, a Medigap (Medicare Supplemental) plan is not even offered to those who are younger than 65 years old. 

Depending upon the state that you live in, different methods are also used to establish premiums for these type of (Medigap) plans.  The premiums are not the same everywhere but the plans are the same - example a Plan F is the same everywhere.

During the initial enrollment period to Medicare for those who are 65 (about 3-months before and 3-months after) a Medigap plan can be purchased with out regards to health status but after that period, people can be turned down for coverage for a Medigap because of their health or age.

* * * * * * It’s Always Something - Roseanne Rosannadanna
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 7 of 27

I totally empathize with you.  No one explained that when you receive your Medicare when

disabled, that whichever plan you choose is a permanent one.  I also chose the F plan due to

the need for several joint replacements.  However, when i tried to down grade,  I was tole NO!

Almost $500 a month PLUS persciption coverage is OVERWHELMING.

You can choose an Advantage plan (yuck) or straight Medicare at 80%.  

The premiums are the same everywhere I am told. Not much of a choice

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 8 of 27
ah5887

What Medicare plans that are offered to those less than 65 years old is governed by state law unless you have ESRD.

Go to Medicare.gov and learn all about how it works.
* * * * * * It’s Always Something - Roseanne Rosannadanna
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 9 of 27

To those who want to 'blame' whatever party:

I have found out the exact same thing myself. I belong to AARP, and have done so for 6 years. That makes me the young age of 56. Now I am on SS disability, and sure enough: AARP does not provide a Medicare plan if you are under 65, but they sure will take your money for becoming a member! Something seems wrong here.

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 10 of 27
What is of utmost importance is once you have your Medicare coverage is choosing your supplement
Plan. Once it is chosen, you can NOT change the plan except to change over to an Advantage plan.
They are not generally " Preferred". I chose an F plan and premiums increase at 10 percent each year.
I am now at close to $500 per month and it is a real burden. No one shared that "Rule" in advance.
I must now choose an Advantage plan that my 25 plus year Primary Dr doesn't accept Any Advantage plan
VERY deceitful to stick disabled folks with a financial burden they can't get out from under but once a year
Kudos
Views