You can help to pick the winner of the 2018 Movies for Grownups Readers' Choice award! Vote now for your favorite film.

Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Re: Medicare and Disability under 65

Message 1 of 25

I would suggest contacting a gent/broker like myself who specializes in Medicare.  We can go over all the options for you and let you know what you can and cannot get.  

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 2 of 25

It really depends on what state you are in.

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 3 of 25

Is there any recent information about Medicare under 65 getting Advantage or other supplement?

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 4 of 25

@patwuschke611 wrote:

I totally empathize with you.  No one explained that when you receive your Medicare when

disabled, that whichever plan you choose is a permanent one.  I also chose the F plan due to

the need for several joint replacements.  However, when i tried to down grade,  I was tole NO!

Almost $500 a month PLUS persciption coverage is OVERWHELMING.

You can choose an Advantage plan (yuck) or straight Medicare at 80%.  

The premiums are the same everywhere I am told. Not much of a choice

patwuschke611,

In some states, a Medigap (Medicare Supplemental) plan is not even offered to those who are younger than 65 years old. 

Depending upon the state that you live in, different methods are also used to establish premiums for these type of (Medigap) plans.  The premiums are not the same everywhere but the plans are the same - example a Plan F is the same everywhere.

During the initial enrollment period to Medicare for those who are 65 (about 3-months before and 3-months after) a Medigap plan can be purchased with out regards to health status but after that period, people can be turned down for coverage for a Medigap because of their health or age.

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 5 of 25

I totally empathize with you.  No one explained that when you receive your Medicare when

disabled, that whichever plan you choose is a permanent one.  I also chose the F plan due to

the need for several joint replacements.  However, when i tried to down grade,  I was tole NO!

Almost $500 a month PLUS persciption coverage is OVERWHELMING.

You can choose an Advantage plan (yuck) or straight Medicare at 80%.  

The premiums are the same everywhere I am told. Not much of a choice

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 6 of 25
ah5887

What Medicare plans that are offered to those less than 65 years old is governed by state law unless you have ESRD.

Go to Medicare.gov and learn all about how it works.
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 7 of 25

To those who want to 'blame' whatever party:

I have found out the exact same thing myself. I belong to AARP, and have done so for 6 years. That makes me the young age of 56. Now I am on SS disability, and sure enough: AARP does not provide a Medicare plan if you are under 65, but they sure will take your money for becoming a member! Something seems wrong here.

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 8 of 25
What is of utmost importance is once you have your Medicare coverage is choosing your supplement
Plan. Once it is chosen, you can NOT change the plan except to change over to an Advantage plan.
They are not generally " Preferred". I chose an F plan and premiums increase at 10 percent each year.
I am now at close to $500 per month and it is a real burden. No one shared that "Rule" in advance.
I must now choose an Advantage plan that my 25 plus year Primary Dr doesn't accept Any Advantage plan
VERY deceitful to stick disabled folks with a financial burden they can't get out from under but once a year
Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 9 of 25

Please sign our petition to have Medicare cover hearing aids under HR 3150. http://petitions.moveon.org/sign/to-pass-hr-3150.fb73?source=c.fb&r_by=6379786 Please repost to all social media. Janice Schacter Lintz, Chair, Hearing Access Program

Kudos
Views
Gold Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 10 of 25

you said:

leave an impression that Calif seniors must somehow also be AARP members over 50  in order to buy Medicare supplement plans.     

In California you DO need to be over 50 (so UNDER 65) and an AARP Member to get the AARP Medicare Supplement Plan.  The OP repeated AARP and Medigap, and my reply addressed both in one breath.

Twitter: @LHIS_Lance

Kudos
Views