Contributor

Medicare Supplement Plan Question

Hi Folks,

I'm trying to help a relative sign up for Medicare A & B and have been trying to figure out the best supplement for her. She just lost her company healthcare.

From the info I'm finding online it appears that C and F are going away as of 2020.

Unfortunately she has a pre-existing condition and it seems that Supplement-G may be the next best choice. 

Is there anyone out there that is currently enrolled in Plan-G? Any pros and cons for someone with a pre-existing condition.

Thanks for any info.

0 Kudos
Bronze Conversationalist

@KittuR492730 what's up with the "website" link to a survey?

Bark less. Wag more.
0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

Do NOT choose Plan F. Plan G IS the better choice.

The only difference between F and G is F covers your Medicare deductible ($195 this year) as well. When I compared annual premiums for 2020 (I'll be 68) annual premiums for F where far greater then what they saved you ($195)

Also with F going away, it's premiums will increase as people leave it and with no new people coming the F population will age and cost the plan more which get passed along to the people in the plan.

Plus, in all but 4 states, you may have to go through medical underwriting to switch plans. 

Best to start on F not G

0 Kudos

ome carriers in some states may impose a pre-ex waiting period if you did not mcdvoice have prior creditable coverage.

Kudos
Views
0 Kudos
Contributor

For those currently in a AARP UHC supplement plan you will be getting shafted on your enrollment rates going forward ( if you joined within few years )   I joined at 66 in Jan of 2019, my enrollment discount was 33% and this year will drop to 30% , then each year another 3%. Those enrolling in at age 65 in 2020 will get a 39 % discount , which stays that way for four more years. At age 70 the discount will be 33 % , mine at age 70 will be 21%. Thanks AARP for shafting your current members. Maybe time to change.

0 Kudos
Contributor

for those current members , your discount goes off the 2019 discount rates ( 36 , 33 , 30 , 27 , 24 , 21 and so on ) , only a new enrollee will get the better discount rates of 39 , 39 , 39 , 39 , 36 , 33 , 30 , 27 and so on 

0 Kudos
Bronze Conversationalist

Plans C & F go away for NEW APPLICANTS ONLY as of 1/1/2020. Those who have C or F now can keep them as long as they pay their premiums.

Plan G is an excellent choice in most states. Medigap carriers are generally required to offer plan F but not G. As such, some carriers do not write G.

UHC, Humana and a few others introduced G for the first time in 2018.

If an applicant is enrolling in a Medigap plan during their IEP (Initial Enrollment Period) there are no health questions. Some carriers in some states may impose a pre-ex waiting period if you did not have prior creditable coverage. The pre-ex limit will apply for up to 6 months depending on the state or carrier.

Bark less. Wag more.
0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

You should speak with a licensed agent that specializes in Medicare to go over all the options.  I would be more than happy to answer any and all questions that you might have. My number 1 priority is educating you on how Medicare works.

0 Kudos
Contributor

McDVOICE

@StephenK41866 wrote:

Hi Folks,

I'm trying to help a relative sign up for Medicare A & B and have been trying to figure out the best supplement for her. She just lost her company healthcare.

From the info I'm finding online it appears that C and F are going away as of 2020.

Unfortunately she has a pre-existing condition and it seems that Supplement-G may be the next best choice. 

Is there anyone out there that is currently enrolled in Plan-G? Any pros and cons for someone with a pre-existing condition.

Thanks for any info.

Medigap Plan F is a popular choice that offers more coverage than any otherMedicare Supplement plan. There is also a high-deductible Plan F that offers the same benefits as the standard Plan F, but requires you to pay a certain amount out of pocket before coverage starts.

0 Kudos

@KitsonE819731 wrote:

McDVOICE

@StephenK41866 wrote:

Hi Folks,

Thanks for any info.

Medigap Plan F is a popular choice that offers more coverage than any otherMedicare Supplement plan. There is also a high-deductible Plan F that offers the same benefits as the standard Plan F, but requires you to pay a certain amount out of pocket before coverage starts.

• If you do not have the right to buy a Medigap, ask the insurance representative how much extra you will be charged for purchasing one.
  • If you are under 65, make sure the company you are considering sells to individuals under 65.
  • Remember to keep track of who you spoke with, when you spoke with them, and the outcome of the call.
0 Kudos

@KitsonE819731 wrote:

mcvoice

@StephenK41866 wrote:

Hi Folks,

Thanks for any info.

I totally Agree with KitsonE819731 Medical Plan F is popular and famous. May people are taking that so you can try if you want.

0 Kudos

@FinnB393533 wrote:

@KitsonE819731 wrote:

mcvoice

@StephenK41866 wrote:

Hi Folks,

From the info I'm finding online it appears that C and F are going liteblue usps as of 2020.

Thanks for any info.

I totally Agree with KitsonE819731 Medical Plan F is popular and famous. May people are taking that so you can try if you want.

I too totally agree with thi

0 Kudos
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

To our Online Community Members,

We wanted to let you know that our Community Guidelines and Terms of Service have been updated. The changes are intended to foster more civil discussions in AARP’s online communities. The issues discussed in these communities – including healthcare, retirement and politics – are serious and stir up strong emotions. We should have spirited debates about all of them, but those debates should always be respectful, on topic and fact based. We will be applying these standards in our online communities as we work together, with all of you, to address the challenges that face older Americans. Thank you.

AARP Membership Flash Sale

AARP Games

Throw it back and play Atari's Missile Command. Grab your arsenal to neutralize your enemy and protect your cities from a missile attack. You got this!

AARP Games Atari Missile Command

Your Daily Puzzle

Enjoy our interactive brain-teasers and treat yourself to some mental gymnastics. Try one today.

Your Daily Puzzle