Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

Medicare Part A and spouse's employer-provided health insurance

Contributor

Medicare Part A and spouse's employer-provided health insurance

I'm 65 and retired, but covered under the group plan provided by my wife's employer (a company with more than 20 employees). I know I can delay enrollment in Part B without penalty while still covered by her plan, but I'm wondering if there would be any advantage (or disadvantage) in signing up for Medicare Part A right now. If I'm hospitalized, would Part A serve as secondary coverage, and pay for costs not covered by my primary insurance (deductible and copay) that exceed the Medicare deductible?

0 Kudos
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Honored Social Butterfly

If you have Medicare Part A and you also have a group health plan coverage based on your current employment (or the current employment of a spouse of any age), and the employer has 20 or more employees, the group health plan generally pays first.  You should check with the Company HR Dept to make sure.

If you have a Hospital claim and the group health plan didn't pay all of your bill, the doctor or health care provider should send the bill to Medicare for secondary payment. Medicare will pay based on what the group health plan paid, what the group health plan allowed, and what the doctor or health care provider charged on the claim. You'll have to pay any costs Medicare or the group health plan doesn't cover.

Employers with 20 or more employees must offer current employees 65 and older the same health benefits, under the same conditions, that they offer employees under 65. If the employer offers coverage to spouses, they must offer the same coverage to spouses 65 and older that they offer to spouses under 65.

Medicare.gov - Which Insurance Pays First

The ONLY reason for NOT signing up for Medicare Part A when you have employer group coverage is if you want to continue an HSA And want to continue contributions to it.  HSA type coverage DOES NOT work at all with Medicare - any part of it.  You can use what might be in the account but no more contributions to it once you go on Medicare - any part of it.

It's Always Something . . . . Roseanna Roseannadanna

View solution in original post

Honored Social Butterfly

If you have Medicare Part A and you also have a group health plan coverage based on your current employment (or the current employment of a spouse of any age), and the employer has 20 or more employees, the group health plan generally pays first.  You should check with the Company HR Dept to make sure.

If you have a Hospital claim and the group health plan didn't pay all of your bill, the doctor or health care provider should send the bill to Medicare for secondary payment. Medicare will pay based on what the group health plan paid, what the group health plan allowed, and what the doctor or health care provider charged on the claim. You'll have to pay any costs Medicare or the group health plan doesn't cover.

Employers with 20 or more employees must offer current employees 65 and older the same health benefits, under the same conditions, that they offer employees under 65. If the employer offers coverage to spouses, they must offer the same coverage to spouses 65 and older that they offer to spouses under 65.

Medicare.gov - Which Insurance Pays First

The ONLY reason for NOT signing up for Medicare Part A when you have employer group coverage is if you want to continue an HSA And want to continue contributions to it.  HSA type coverage DOES NOT work at all with Medicare - any part of it.  You can use what might be in the account but no more contributions to it once you go on Medicare - any part of it.

It's Always Something . . . . Roseanna Roseannadanna
Contributor

Thanks GailL1, for the quick and comprehensive response.
0 Kudos
cancel
Showing results forย 
Showย ย onlyย  | Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Bubble Shooter and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP