Contributor

Medicare Cutting Payments To Physical Therapy Providers

Effective January 1, 2021 Medicare is reducing what they  will pay to physical therapists and totally eliminating telehealth services provided by physical therapists. I have been using services for a bad lower back and separately tweaked my shoulder and am just beginning therapy for that. I am worried about these cuts because

These changes will:

Reduce access to physical therapy for Medicare Beneficiaries.
Physical therapists may be forced to reduce the volume of Medicare patients seen
Some practices may opt to discontinue the treatment of Medicare patients entirely
The elimination of telehealth services for physical therapy will negatively impact some of Medicare's highest risk patients during this pandemic
This will impact the solvency and financial stability of physical therapy offices during a pandemic in which the cost of providing care to patients has increased. Doesn't AARP lobby congress on our behalf? I think this change is a bad thing for members

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

@rw92658117 wrote:

Effective January 1, 2021 Medicare is reducing what they  will pay to physical therapists and totally eliminating telehealth services provided by physical therapists. I have been using services for a bad lower back and separately tweaked my shoulder and am just beginning therapy for that. I am worried about these cuts because

These changes will:

Reduce access to physical therapy for Medicare Beneficiaries.
Physical therapists may be forced to reduce the volume of Medicare patients seen
Some practices may opt to discontinue the treatment of Medicare patients entirely
The elimination of telehealth services for physical therapy will negatively impact some of Medicare's highest risk patients during this pandemic
This will impact the solvency and financial stability of physical therapy offices during a pandemic in which the cost of providing care to patients has increased. Doesn't AARP lobby congress on our behalf? I think this change is a bad thing for members

SORRY but I doubt if many seniors would be concerned - Medicare Part B pays what it pays and then their Medigap policy picks up the rest or what their plan provides.  OR Medicaid pays.

Most seniors pay little attention to what amount is paid.

Maybe we should get completely away from fee for service like other countries do.  Maybe the services should be bundled into some type of total coverage especially if the therapy has to do with recuperation.  

On the other hand by using a budget neutral pay setting method, perhaps our Part B premiums will be held down for ALL of us.

If any physical therapist or other type or designate wants to stop taking Medicare patients - have at it - but remember we have a bumper crop of aging seniors right now and that could be a mistake - but it is up to them.

It's Always Something . . . . Roseanna Roseannadanna
Bronze Conversationalist

@GailL1 many GYN's do not participate in Medicare and they seem to do OK. Similar for psychotherapists and mental health counselors.

Most everyone else, general practice and specialty, participate in Medicare. But many specialty hospitals (Mayo, Sloan-Kettering, Cleveland Clinic  . . .) take original Medicare but not so for most Advantage plans.

Bark less. Wag more.
0 Kudos
Bronze Conversationalist

PT and similar services may become "cash only" . . . or find other ways to legitimately find other ways to generate revenue. Chiropractors did this years ago by including nutritional supplements.

https://osteopractor.wordpress.com/2020/05/01/medicare-reimbursement-for-physical-therapists-2021-ma...

Bark less. Wag more.
0 Kudos
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

Try the new AARP Perks browser tool! Get timely reminders about AARP resources, discounts, and other member benefits as you browse online. Install AARP Perks now.

AARP Perks

Members Can Play More

Membership unlocks free online games and puzzles including classic Atari Games. Join today for just $12 per year with Automatic Renewal.

AARP Membership

AARP Rewards

Activate AARP Rewards to earn points for games, quizzes and videos. Redeem for deals and discounts. Get started with AARP Rewards now!

AARP Rewards Badge

Music and Brain Health

From soft jazz to hard rock - discover music's mental, social and physical benefits. Learn more.

Music and Brain Health