The AARP Fraud Resource Center can help you spot and avoid common scams. Visit today!

Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: Medicare Bill (December bill for January, 2018 benefits) is a NO SHOW!!! Options???

Message 11 of 12

Medicare.gov : Pay Part A and Part B Premiums

I assume you have seen this Medicare.gov site.

As to why it is a little late - who knows

could be there was lots of changes and they aren't going out in a timely manner

could be the USPS is swamped

who knows???

There are lots of stuff that has to be mailed from government this time of the year.

You could wait a couple more days but if it does not show up by say, 15th - 19th,

personally I would use my banks online bill pay option (bill pay option #1 on the linked site above) for just this month.  You can initiated this yourself as long as your bank offers this service and most do.

You have a record of the transaction and that is what will really count.

Read the part in the link about delinquent accounts - they do send a second notice.

Personally, I would NOT set up any automatic withdrawals for your premiums -This process is fine when it works well but terrible if there is (some) problem to reconcile. 

MY SIGNATURE: "It’s Always something" - Roseanne Rosannadanna
Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views
Replies

Medicare Bill (December bill for January, 2018 benefits) is a NO SHOW!!! Options???

Message 12 of 12

I turned 65 and started with Medicare in May, 2017, eight months ago.  I am NOT yet taking Social Security and our family income is such that we are required to pay a monthly Income Related Monthly Adjustment Amount (IRMAA) on both my Medicare Part B and also on my Part D Prescription Drug Plan.  

For those NOT yet taking SS benefits and also paying IRMAA's, Medicare sends out a monthly bill.  The bill is supposed to be delivered through US Mail by the 10th of each month and is due by the 25th of that same month.  It all worked OK until NOW.  The December bill (for January, 2018 benefits) has NOT yet come for me and at least one other friend who lives about 50 miles from me.  That friend pays monthly with IRMAA's just like I do.  We are both in or near the SF Bay Area.  And today is December 13th.  It's never before been later than the 10th.  Also, our mail person told me today she is NOT seeing the normal influx of Medicare bills that she usually delivers around this time of each month, as if maybe no one out here are receving their normal bills???  

1.  Does anyone have any reason to believe monthly mailed Medicare bills have been held up or are late for whatever reason this month???

2.  Perhaps due to something like Medicare Open Enrollment that just ended???

3.  Or maybe because payment amounts change (only a tiny change to the Part D IRMAA for 2018) and that shows up in the December delivered bill (for January benefits) ???

4.  I've talked on the phone with both Medicare and Social Security in the past couple of days and they have no clue why my friend and I have not yet received our monthly bills yet.

5.  I'm thinking about trying the Bank Pay option Medicare promotes.  But if that doesn't work for whatever reason, I would also like feedback from folks about if I can just write a check, put my pertinent info on a sheet of paper and send it in to,

Medicare Premium Collection Center

P.O. Box 790355
St. Louis, MO 63179-0355

I know what my January amount should be.  So all I'm really missing is the formal bill stub they send when they send the bill.  

Can I just mail in a payment without the formal bill stub???  Will they accept that???  Does anyone know??

Any feedback would be much appreciated. 

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Replies