Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

Periodic Contributor

Looking for Dental insurance

Few weeks ago, I realized, I dont have dental insurance. I am wondering is there a way to get dental insurance from a market place? If it is possible what are the steps for a Texas resident.

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

@SrinivasaK839563 

Find yourself a good dentist, periodontist, prosthodontist, surgeon, [whatever kind] and work out a cash discount deal.  Course in return, they will expect periodic check ups and a technique that will assure the best outcome for oral health.  

IMO, I have never seen a dental plan or insurance that worked the way I wanted - I like to pick my own providers, discounts weren't any better than what I could get on my own with an independent provider of my choice.  I think when one has dental insurance, the network provider tend to over-sell on what is needed.

It's Always Something . . . . Roseanna Roseannadanna
Conversationalist

@SrinivasaK839563 you can buy individual dental insurance, or a discount plan, from any number of carriers. In Georgia there are probably 100 carriers offering dental plans.

Every one is, in my opinion, overpriced and a poor value.

In 45 years in the health insurance business I have yet to find a dental plan to recommend, much less purchase for myself.

Bark less. Wag more.
Honored Social Butterfly

The discount plans can save you money since they are a % off normal rates. Now if you do not see a dentist often they will not save you much. Dental Insurance helps when you have major problems that  follow you for life and can vary by State so talk to a local expert when doing anything in this area.

I have a dental insurance plan which is a combination discount and insurance. There is a 20% discount from normal charges then the insurance kicks in on the rest. My plan is through the employer I retired from, and a good part of the premium is paid by them.

If you can get a plan that saves you money do it.

0 Kudos
Conversationalist

@john258 My plan is through the employer I retired from, and a good part of the premium is paid by them.

Would that employer be AARP?

Bark less. Wag more.
0 Kudos
Social Butterfly

From what I’ve seen @john258 gives straightforward, reasonable, and safe information on Medicare and insurance to the numerous posters who visit these web pages.

He’s always polite and respectful and most important he’ll always tell them not to take his advice as gospel but for them to double check with an expert in their locale.  

Can't get more honest than that.

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

For me to know only. You could ask AARP about their employee benefits, or go to work for them in helping Seniors.

0 Kudos
Conversationalist

@john258 I don't really care, but advice offered by some on this forum reflects the kind put forth by folks who spent way too much time in ivory towers and have no clue about real world, boots on the ground experience.

On too many occasions I have witnessed the useless and inept advice offered by home office and government employees and the harm it has done.

Why would I want to go backwards and offer up useless rhetoric?

Have a nice day.

Bark less. Wag more.
0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

You are totally correct on some who give advice in here, and that it what I want to counter. It is easy to read articles on one small part of a subject and comment on it, but many times that leads to bad advice. Most of the useless and  inept advice comes about when people do not know the full subject and home office and govt. employees do not fit into that group. They are the ones who have to follow up what a lot of self serving people people from the so called real world give as a lot of times they worked in the self serving part of that world.

0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

In my state individual dental insurance can be bought from multiple different insurance companies.....aetna, blue cross blue shield, horizon a part of blue cross blue shield, and my car insurance and property insurance company also sells also individual monthly premium dental insurance.  In my state and in the federal marketplace healthcare gov dental insurance is sold separate from health insurance just about in every single plan thruout both the federal marketplace and the plans for health insurance also thru my state's health insurance marketplace.

For some weird reason obamacare the affordable care act was not included to be mandated in that.  Stupid costly mistake.

Kudos
Views
0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

@individualmatter wrote

"For some weird reason obamacare the affordable care act was not included to be mandated in that. "

Except for kids - the time when a good foundation in dental care and oral health is best needed and learned.  

It's Always Something . . . . Roseanna Roseannadanna
Periodic Contributor

If my last one or two sentences are thought to be political I apologize did not mean I support any political party.  I just think its weird odd that a national healthcare plans' setup didnt include dental care that's definitely healthcare. Dental health has been found to affect rest of body health. 

Contributor

I just signed for a Healthcare.Gov plan and some plans include dental and vision. So it depends on the company offering the plan. I deal with Blue Cross and Blue Shield and am now thinking I should call and see if I can change my mind about adding dental coverage. You are so right about dental health affecting the entire body.

Cathy Cat
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Atari Asteroids® and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP