Celebrate Social Security's birthday by pledging to vote to protect it for current and future generations. Learn more

Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Re: KanCare and Supplemental Insurance

Message 1 of 5

So glad for the feedback. I am new to this and clarification is so helpful. 

Many thanks!

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 2 of 5

Thank you for the information. I will keep this in mind as I continue to work through this. Kind regards!

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 3 of 5

Assuming you mean the Medicaid program in Kansas, the answers to your questions are going to depend entirely on how quickly your mother qualifies under Kansas laws. Those in turn will also depend on whether there is a spouse involved and many other factors. You need to start there.

Given that -- depending on state and personal circumstances -- application for Medicaid for custodial care can be a long process, I would keep (or change based on drug regimen) her Part D plan for now (given the price you quoted, I am assuming you mean Part -- not Plan -- D).

I am with Gail in that I cannot figure out what you mean by "B"

• -- if you mean a Plan B supplement, then it would not have covered the co-pay in the SNF;
  • -- if you meant Medicare Part B and the premium is that high, that is probably going to be an impediment to getting Medicaid quickly.

So again, probably keep both until and if Kansas Medicaid tells you otherwise

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 4 of 5

WilsonTL wrote:

My mother (71 y/o) recently had an acute stroke and will need 24-hour facilty care. I am now trying to determine with KanCare if her Plan B ($165/mo) and Plan D ($20/mo) will still be necessary. She is moving to the end of the 100 days the skilled nursing is covered 100% by her Medicare and supplemental. I am looking long-term and don't want to mess up the enrollment season. Any experience or suggestions with KanCare for a loved one?

Many thanks for any feedback!

Sorry that your mom is having such a rough time right now, Wilson TL

1st that premium which you quoted for her Plan B ($165) is kind of high; most people pay $ 104.90 right now, there is a surcharge premium if a persons income is high (over $ 85,000 per year).  But if she is going on Kancare, I don't think that is her case.

As far as what she needs to keep under Kancare, you need to contact them because there are several different programs and which one will be determined by her needs, her income and assets.

Yes, she will probably need her Part B and her Part D coverage.  However, there is help paying premium cost in the Medicare or Medicare/Medicaid program -

Medicare - Get Help Paying Cost

But NO help in paying her supplemental premiums.

Your Kancare representative should know about these help paying methods and if your mother is eligible.  Kancare also has a P.A.C.E. program but you don't indicate if she is going to be within that program, at least not until she recuperates as far back as she can.

Make sure you understand how Kancare is gonna work with your mother - eligibility, spend down (if any), help paying her Medicare B & D premiums.

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views
Replies

KanCare and Supplemental Insurance

Message 5 of 5

My mother (71 y/o) recently had an acute stroke and will need 24-hour facilty care. I am now trying to determine with KanCare if her Plan B ($165/mo) and Plan D ($20/mo) will still be necessary. She is moving to the end of the 100 days the skilled nursing is covered 100% by her Medicare and supplemental. I am looking long-term and don't want to mess up the enrollment season. Any experience or suggestions with KanCare for a loved one?

Many thanks for any feedback!

Kudos
Views
Replies