From retirement calculators to free tax assistance, AARP has the member benefits you need. Explore today.

Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: Just signing up for Medicare B & D

Message 1 of 3

@JaniceS778172wrote:

My husband just lost his job and we are in the process of signing up for AARP's Supplemental or Advantage plan. We are being bombarded with calls and mail. It is all so confusing. How did you get through it and find what is best for your family?

Actually, it is NOT and should NOT be a family decision - it is an individualized decision because your health and wellness maybe very different, with different needs and cost considerations.  So, one could choose a MA plan and the other a supplemental addition to traditional Medicare.

Both have plus and minuses and it is hard to tell what the future will bring so all each person can do is make the best decision they can - I would also look at any strong hereditary factors.

Specific questions can be made on the AARP Medicare and Insurance board, you might find many already there, or looked up on the Medicare.gov website.

Yes, it is a big decision and it is also good to know what rights you have in the future about switching from MA to a supplemental Medicare plan  ( not easy and not cheap, many times).

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Trusted Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: Just signing up for Medicare B & D

Message 2 of 3

My suggestion to you is to review the material you have been sent, attend meetings if they offer them and get all the information you can. 

When I reached the age where I could choose to go on a Medicare Advantage plan I switched over and saved about $200.00 a month. With the plan I selected I make no co-pays for office visits. I do make co-pays for prescriptions. 

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views
Replies

Just signing up for Medicare B & D

Message 3 of 3

My husband just lost his job and we are in the process of signing up for AARP's Supplemental or Advantage plan. We are being bombarded with calls and mail. It is all so confusing. How did you get through it and find what is best for your family?

Kudos
Views
Replies