AARP Members Enjoy Exclusive Discounts on Travel, Dining and More. Join Today

Conversationalist

Re: Is AARP United Healthcare Medicare supplimental insurance as bad as the customer reviews say??

Message 61 of 91

I have had AARP/UHC Supplemental Plan F for 11 years since I retired.   I continue to be very happy with my plan.  The premiums do increase each year, but the increases are comparable to other companies and the customer service I receive is a blessing.   I recommended the same policy to my sister who retired a couple of years after I did, and she is also very happy with the plan.    I will continue to recommend this plan, and I intend to keep it for the rest of my days.  Thank you United Health Care!

Report Inappropriate Content
Info Seeker

Re: Is AARP United Healthcare Medicare supplimental insurance as bad as the customer reviews say??

Message 62 of 91

You've commented 5 times in one day and 4 more times in March... calm down! You're flooding other commenters inbox. 

Conversationalist

Message 63 of 91
Did you figure in that after age 75 the price increases drop in HALF?
Conversationalist

Message 64 of 91
The federal government says they all must cover the same things BUT it does NOT say that they can't increase their premiums through the roof once you are enrolled. Almost all other carriers increase your premium every year you get older FOREVER. AARP only increases premiums on every person of every age in over 100+ zip codes. So you can get to be 90 and pay the same as the 70 year old down the street in your area.
Conversationalist

Message 65 of 91
AARP plans are NOT the most expensive. I ran a cost comparison for Plan F with all the carriers in my area. Only 3 were less expensive and they offered far fewer benefits and much HIGHER rate increases in the coming years when the AARP plans were lowering their rate increases in the coming years.
Conversationalist

Message 66 of 91
Plan F is going away ONLY for those that are new enrollees after 2020. If you have Plan F now, or are eligible for it now, you can have it and keep it FOREVER. IT WILL NOT BE TAKEN AWAY FROM YOU!!!
Conversationalist

Message 67 of 91

Sorry, but a Medicare Supplement does NOT work that way.  Medicare pays first and if Medicare pays then, by law, the Supplement does have to pay...depending on what Plan level you have.  We have Full coverage Plan F.  In the last 8 years, we have had easily $600,000 in claims and NEVER have had a single instance of a claim paying problem.  Not sure what Plan you have or if you have an ADVANTAGE plan instead of a SUPPLEMENT, but I guarantee, Plan F is a Godsend. 

Info Seeker

Message 68 of 91

Yes, it is. They gladly collect a premium and delay paying even a one-night stay claim.They'll ask for multiple examples of itemized bills and never pay. Avoid it-it's a waste of money and only will aggrivate you.

Conversationalist

Message 69 of 91

The rate increases drop in half at age 75.  You get a 30% discount off the standard rate at age 65 and lose 3% of the discount per year till age 75 when you ONLY get inflation rate increases.  They do NOT raise the premiums because of age.  They are the ONLY carrier that does community rating.  Everyone of every age gets the same rate.  PLUS, they are the ONLY carrier that will let you change plan levels any time of year instead of only once a year in Open Enrollment (that is the only time other carriers let you change).  In July, they will have a plan G which will be cheaper and they have always had a Plan N.  SO...if $306 is too expensive for 2 people, one or both of you can pick up the phone and say "I want to go to Plan N."  At the first of the next month, they will have you on a plan N*.  Then 2 months later you are planning a hip replacement, you call them "I want to go back to plan F (full coverage)".  The first of the next month, you are on Plan F.  You CAN control costs better than with ANY other company.  *be aware that any plan other than Plan F means you have to pay deductibles and maybe coinsurance too and that could cost more out of pocket than just staying on Plan F...especially if you have a heart attack ($147,000 for a friend of mine 5 days in the hospital).

Conversationalist

Message 70 of 91

No, it is NOT one of the most expensive plans out there.  You have not shopped well.  I have.  It is not the cheapest but it is on the lower end of the plans in cost and every plan cheaper was from companies that had very high rate increases after the first 3 years or were financially unstable or had questionable ethics.  AARP is stable, predictable and by age 75 IS one of the cheapest.