AARP Members Enjoy Exclusive Discounts on Travel, Dining and More. Join Today

Info Seeker

Re: Is AARP Dental Insurance from Delta Dental a Rip-off?

Message 41 of 71

Report Inappropriate Content
Info Seeker

Message 42 of 71
Go to the booklet issued to you when you joined the plan. The rules and benefits are outlined there. I just got two dental implants and the plan paid what they outlined. I have no complaints, especially so once most dental insurance plans don't recognize implants at all. Sorry you had a bad experience.
Info Seeker

Message 43 of 71

Yes, AARP Delta Dental dentist insurance is wrong.  Too expensive and I called why my auto pymt. was not coming out.  They forgot to do it and deducted the full 3 months on the spot.  Uh   I had not the full money at the time,  They did not care.  Today I cancelled my policy.  Went to another carrier.

IMC Manchester, NH

Info Seeker

Message 44 of 71

Hi!! I am at odd too!! .. I just started my covering on March the 1st this year .. and is June 2015 and still I have not been able to pull no even one single tooth from my mouth... "So .. my employer .. called and did all the connections. After that I visited the so called Dentist.  He did not charge me a penny on my first visit ... how ever the charge for the whole procefure is a whooper $7,000.00 USA dollars... in cash ..not mentioning that according to them.. my dental plan insurance start kick in when a full year has passed... is overwhelming .. since I am 52 ...  my employer is helping me with a kick on 2.700/00 the next time I visit the doctor office.. is been to week later and they called my employer and now the lowered to less than $4,000.00 for the whole procedure.... God only knows what they thought of my employer and I {me/myself}  ... probably they thought I was a gigolo.. We discussed those questions/innuendos outside the office.  I am hoping to do it as soon as possible ...I called and talk to the customer service .. but is a wasting of time since .. they are not the ones who made the rules or regulations when it comes ... clauses and what to offer ... once the insurance is paid... good bye ... dollars... so what else is knew... is all about capitalism/profit at any cost.  

Info Seeker

Message 45 of 71

I'm not sure what you are looking at with AARP but the AARP DeltaCare HMO has a flat copay amount for each procedure and is 1/2 the cost of traditional dental insurance and is unlimited and no waiting period. The premium for myself and husband is $15 per mnth cheaper than traditional Humana dental insurance

Info Seeker

Message 46 of 71

My husband just turned 50 this past year and I am this year. We have spent THOUSANDS UPON THOUSANDS on traditional dental insurance that the maximum is only $1,000-$1,500 a YEAR which is NOTHING! You can only get 1 tooth repaired for $1,000-$1,500 and most insurances make you wait until you have paid in a YEAR before you can get the care you NEED. Healthcare Reform needs to be evaluated IN DENTISTRY! It is highway ROBBERY! You would think they are performing brain surgery for what is charged! and you can't get adequate coverage. We receved an evaluation and treatment plan from a local dentist participating with AARP Deltacare and in comparison to Humana we are saving 1/2 of what is being charged and UNLIMITED COVERAGE WITH NO WAITING PERIOD! THANK GOD WE CAN GET THE DENTAL CARE WE NEED WITHOUT GOING BANKRUPT!

Info Seeker

Message 47 of 71

Where would I find the dental insurance you purchased? I am attending a University Denal school for my dental work and they said they accept Delta. Please advise.

Appreciate your input..

Info Seeker

Message 48 of 71
Cigna offers dental insurance plans much more affordable & waiting period may not be imposed if you already have insurance. Suggest giving them a look. AARP would better serve members in trying to ascertain a better dental insurance. And be more vigilant in associating their name with companies.
Info Seeker

Message 49 of 71

YES! Delta Dental gives AARP a BLACK EYE! Their benefits chart in mislaeding. It give a range of payment as in 50% -80% but they usually pay cloer to 50% and even less than that if your dentist is not in their network. It is a smoke and mirrors deal. They do not clearly state that they pay much less if your dentist is out of their network.  I have called and have been told that my dentist used the wrong procedure code. When I ask what the correct code is, the representative refuses to give me the correct code or feigns ignorance. It is better to offer nothing than to offer a half baked unfair misleading pseudo insurance throwing away money non benefit.

Info Seeker

Message 50 of 71

I need major work and was thinking of Delta, but after reading the policy and these posts, I'll stick with Carington. It was recommended by my dentist, is less that $20 a month and covers a large portion of what I need. This is not insurance, but rather a discount program. That being said, I pay only a small portion of quarterly cleanings and will pay $1,000 for a crown that has to be replaced. So I guess that is as good as it gets, for the price. 
Thanks to everyone who shared their thoughts, it certainly helped me with my decision.