Test Your Knowledge About Long-Term Care with AARP’s Long-Term Care Quiz

Conversationalist

Re: Is AARP Dental Insurance from Delta Dental a Rip-off?

Message 11 of 71 (3,165 Views)
Hello sg21408916 -
Thank you! I neglected to mention, the insurance company's customer service is very poor, surprise!
Conversationalist

Message 12 of 71 (3,277 Views)

I am totally disgusted with the so-called "discounts" offered through AARP, but their "Delta Dental Insurance" discount offer is, so far, the most egregious. After putting it off for too long, due to many other pressing matters, I went with my husband to a local dentist advertised as the best dentist in the area. While there, I asked for a dental coverage recommendation. Without hesitation they said, "Delta Dental." Since I have been an AARP member for several years and knew they offered a discount to their members for this specific insurance, I went online and signed up with AARPs Delta Dental program. At the time, I spoke with a Delta Dental representative. I remember thinking that the premium quoted seemed a bit high, and not only because we would have to wait a year before having anything done and reaping the benefits of dental insurance coverage, as retirees; however, I felt that the dentists' office would not steer us wrong. After all, what could they possibly gain by recommending a company that wasn't good to their future clients. The first time we used the card, on our first visit, I remember that the lady at our new dentists' office made a face (crinkling it like someone would when they smell something bad) when she saw the card. I thought that was odd, but chalked it up to my imagination and surmised she was probably thinking of something else at that moment that had nothing to do with the card.

The first year our (for me and my husband) annual premium was $905.88 for "AARP Delta Insurance Plan c/o Delta Insurance Company", Plan B. Last year, I switched to a quarterly basis and now pay $235.32 each quarter, being $941.28 annually. The Annual deductible on this plan is $100.00 each and there is a $1,000 maximum benefit for each of us, per calendar year. One of the strange things about this coverage is that although a checkup and cleanings are generally considered preventative and not subject to a deductible, cleanings are subject to the deductible under this plan. Also, there is NO coverage for: Adult Orthodontic, Bone Replacement Graft (often needed in conjunction with Implants), Any Cosmetic Procedure and I'm sure other things generally covered. I have become very adept at not smiling in public for several years now because to be able to do so would cost me over $10,000 which I, as well as others who worked all their lives, can use for more affordable needed items. Meanwhile, as an aside, people who are on SSI can now openly and with the government's aid and blessing do drugs and when all their teeth rot people like us will be the ones who are forced  to pay the cost of their pearly whites. I digress, sorry.

Considering I have been to the dentist less than 5 times in the past three years and have paid well over $2,750.00 for this insurance alone, I have decided to do a little research to find out what else might be available.

Part of my disgust with AARP comes from the fact that AARP's version of Delta Dental coverage is being sold as a "savings" when it is clearly a bastardized version of real Delta Dental coverage that ANYONE can get on their own, as a stand-alone (without AARP), at a better price. Simply stated, more coverage for less money. So, what gives AARP?

Delta Dental offers 3 different insurance plans in the State of Washington, where I live: "Enchanted Plan", for $96.40/month; "Classic Plan" for $80.00/month; "Clear Plan" for $92.00/month. Currently, I am paying $78.42/month. Our AARP Delta Dental Plan B is closest to the Delta Dental stand-alone "Classic Plan", costwise; however, we have a $100 deductible while the "Classic Plan" has a $50.00 deductible. We must pay 50% of Periodontal Maintenance Cleaning through AARP's Delta Dental Plan. Meanwhile, under the stand-alone Delta Dental "Classic Plan" we would only pay 20%. For other examples, you will need to do some research and compare the two.

At this point I really must question EVERYTHING else AARP is hocking as a "SAVINGS" to their membership. For now, I'm considering my options for fair dental coverage and Delta Dental through AARP is not one of them. Shame on you AARP! BTW, AARP Delta Dental Insurance is administered by Delta Dental Insurance Company and underwritten by Dentegra Insurance Company. Could this be a case of elder abuse?

Conversationalist

Message 13 of 71 (3,841 Views)

WOW!! After reading about Delta on your web site I have to question the True Value of being an AARP member. You have let me down for the FINAL TIME.

Info Seeker

Message 14 of 71 (4,012 Views)

The main reason I got this insurance was tthe 50% implant coverage.  WELL, after only two years an abutment/screw failed ( it was weird from the start, however, I was assured everything is fine).  I find out that you will get NO help from Delta Dental if you need a replacement in less than 5 years????  That's backwards.  So I get to pay for an implant AGAIN after only 2 years!  I am finished with them.

Info Seeker

Message 15 of 71 (4,231 Views)

I totally agree.  I won't go into the details of what a massive ripoff AARP/Deltadental is, as it only makes me angry.  The only reason I joined AARP was for this "insurance" & unfortunately I joined for something like 10 years.  Think I'll cancel & try to get some of my money back.

Info Seeker

Message 16 of 71 (4,474 Views)

I have AARP complete HMO/POS & I ran into same problem (on phone several times with AARP C/S & the dental plan C/S) because there are no dentist in my area. The closest dentist is an hour away and they couldn't guarantee I would be covered because the plan's dental is through Soltas. Still AARP should not be promoting basic preventitive when the dentist in an area where you live aren't in the plan. However, the Medicare plan I am on is doable otherwise. 

Info Seeker

Message 17 of 71 (5,124 Views)

My dentist recommended Delta Dental.  She said the benefits are good and she is a provider.

Info Seeker

Message 18 of 71 (7,199 Views)

Wish I read this forum before purchasing Delta Dental.  I thought I had researched the benefits payment plan and while not a great savings it would save a  little. I thought I was going to get at least 2 no cost cleanings and X-rays. I had a hard time picking a dentist most had bad reviews. That should have been my first clue. I had my first visit. Told me the dentist said I needed a deep cleaning for $420 and did not want to do regular cleaning. Had to sign a paper saying I was not agreeing to deep cleaning, very intimidating.  They did no cost cleaning for $45? The root canal and crown that I thought would cost me $870 (re benefits schedule) was quoted at $1,645 because of a couple upgrades the plan did not cover. Yes I do need a root canal and crown but would not trust billing procedures unless you already know your dentist.  I would not recommend Delta Dental.  I think Delta Dental is a rip offI AARP could do a better job in choosing a dental plan for seniors. There is no control on what extra charges they can add. The benefits schedule is a joke.  

Info Seeker

Message 19 of 71 (7,284 Views)

Question .  I noticed that most of the negative comments concerning dental insurance were from a couple of years ago. Are things any better now (7/11/2017)?

Info Seeker

Message 20 of 71 (7,732 Views)

not dental, but aarp hartford car insurance cost me more than going directly to hartford for insurance.  and it was not easy finding a website where i could do that.