Free Caregiving Webinar: Managing Your Loved One’s Finances - Tuesday at 7p.m. ET  Register Now

Conversationalist

Re: Is AARP Dental Insurance from Delta Dental a Rip-off?

Message 1 of 71 (765 Views)
Good for you! To ALL who think they NEED Dental Insurance. Perhaps you might want to look into a "Dental Plan" instead, which give a discount (possibly same as what you get from so-called Insurance, but for a much lower cost) for dental services. Or, perhaps, negotiate a better deal with the dentists' office as some will actually give you a discount, typically 20%, for cash. That's the least they can do since they will most often NOT give you even a ball park figure on what ANYTHING will cost you until they have x-rayed your mouth, which is ok for an exact cost, but not necessary if you know exactly what needs to be done. Also, stay away from anyone who tries to upsell you while you're in their chair...
Info Seeker

Message 2 of 71 (783 Views)

I researched Delta Dental extensively and finally when my daughter went to the dentist the 3 crowns that she needs is not covered.  I do not recommend Delta Dental to anyone and to think I had planned on getting the dental insurance for myself next month!  NOT!

Valued Social Butterfly

Message 3 of 71 (1,184 Views)

em7332389 wrote:

The main reason I got this insurance was tthe 50% implant coverage.  WELL, after only two years an abutment/screw failed ( it was weird from the start, however, I was assured everything is fine).  I find out that you will get NO help from Delta Dental if you need a replacement in less than 5 years????  That's backwards.  So I get to pay for an implant AGAIN after only 2 years!  I am finished with them.

Hate to break the news to you but you will find that rule in most dental policies. Your dentist should replace it free as they are supposed to last for 5 years that is why the Insurance Cos. have the rule.

Info Seeker

[ Edited ]
Message 4 of 71 (1,216 Views)

As if my customer service experience hasn't been bad enough the other day I got a letter from AARP Delta Dental which said because I had a payment reversed thru my bank I OWE THEM and to send a check?!?!!!!! Wow, a customer service nightmare from the get go. I would stay away from this company.

Btw, I cancelled my policy several weeks ago, got my money back and I owe them NOTHING!

Community Manager

Message 5 of 71 (1,249 Views)

@r795081w  We are sorry to hear of your poor experience with the AARP dental program and we will be having someone contact you directly for additional information.

AARPTeri
Community Manager

Message 6 of 71 (1,247 Views)

@ms67795507  We are sorry to hear of your extreme disappointment in this program.  Someone from AARP will be reaching out to you directly to get more information.

AARPTeri
Conversationalist

Re: ENCORE DENTAL: Is AARP Dental Insurance from Delta Dental a Rip-off?

Message 7 of 71 (1,759 Views)
ENCORE DENTAL IS A DENTAL INSURANCE PLAN, NOT A DENTAL PLAN. DON'T BE FOOLED!
Recognized Social Butterfly

ENCORE DENTAL: Is AARP Dental Insurance from Delta Dental a Rip-off?

Message 8 of 71 (1,771 Views)

I am pleased with Encore Dental.

https://www.encoredentalplan.com/

Conversationalist

Message 9 of 71 (1,782 Views)
r795081w - I hear you loud and clear and know what you're saying is true, their customer service is very bad. In the meantime, you should look into available "Dental Plans" in your area, not Dental Insurance Plans.
Info Seeker

Message 10 of 71 (1,804 Views)

I had a very bad experience with AARP dental upon signing up. I had to pay for the first two months and AARP dental instantly took the payment from my account TWICE. I called customer service right away, they said they had no record ot taking payment twice and told me to wait 3 days to call them back! Whenever I called I got the same answer, no record of the double payment. I was given a fax # to send in my bank statement and show the 2 payments. I faxed it in and still got no response! I called back and talked to a "supervisor" who didn't even know what fax # the reps were handing out! She gave me another fax# and told me they would take care of it asap upon receiving the fax. No response after mutiple faxes. I called my bank and was advised to file a fraud report on the double payment. After filing the report my bank refunded my money 1 week later. I went ahead and cancelled my policy with aarp dental. There is no way I want this company to have access to my banking info. I am new to AARP and signed up for the dental because my dentist said it was good insurance. Never again. I will probably drop AARP after my year with them is up.