Are you a caregiver? Tell us how you plan your getaway with loved ones for a chance to enter a weekly prize drawing.

Highlighted
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: I am turning 65 in a few months and I am so confused by Medicare options

Message 1 of 16

jodymu421 wrote:

Thank you for your assistance. I did call SHIP at you suggestion...it was very confusing and I can see this will be a "process."

You're welcome.

If you find the printed Medicare material confusing, and SHIP confusing, you should find someone in your county that is already on Medicare and talk to him or her. It is different in each county because the plus and minuses on pages 4-5 of Medicare and You, 2018" vary from county to county all across the U.S.

Or, I repeat:

• 1. Begin with what you have now? If you like it, you can probably get something similar under Medicare but...
  • 2. What does your doctor take? He or she might take, e.g., a Blue Cross plan for people not over 65 but not one for those over 65. If you like your doctor, take whatever he or she accepts. That makes it very simple
Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 2 of 16

Thank you for your assistance. I did call SHIP at you suggestion...it was very confusing and I can see this will be a "process."

Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 3 of 16

Thank you. I did call SHIP at your suggestion. The person who I spoke with told be so much stuff I was further confused, but she directed me to some publications and said to call back with questions.

Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 4 of 16

Thank you - I appreciate your assistance!

Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 5 of 16

Thank you for the info - it was very helpful!

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 6 of 16

ReTiReD51 wrote:

@jodymu421

Gail gave you the best advice in her first post.

Contact your state’s “State Health Insurance Assistance Program” SHIP

You can locate your state’s contact information at this link:

https://www.seniorsresourceguide.com/directories/National/SHIP/

The counsellors do not work for any insurance company so the information you receive from SHIP will be impartial.

I agree that if you do not understand "Medicare and You, 2018," possibly because you have never had any involvement in selecting healthcare insurance in your previous 65 years, that a SHIP volunteer is better than an insurance agent, who has an explicit bias. But whether or not SHIP volunteers are "impartial" depends on where you live. Where I live, Massachusetts, with a totally Democratic-Party-dominated state bureaucracy for 50 years, the SHIP program is totally biased against public Parts C and D of Medicare because the state bureaucrats believe -- incorrectly -- that Parts C and D are Republican-Party Medicare programs.

As a result for example, while on average in the United States more than one out of three people on Medicare are on public Part C of Medicare (and that includes people on Medicaid who do not need a supplmement at all so the meaningful percentage of people on Part C is higher), in Massachusetts Part C's market penetration is less than 20%:

• that's despite the fact that Massachusetts has one of the highest penetrations of HMOs and PPOs among people below Medicare age (almost all public Part C plans are HMOs and most of the rest are PPOs)
  • that's despite the fact that public Part C plans in Massachusetts costs on average $1800 a year less than a combination of private Medigap insurance and a standalone Part D drug policy
  • that's despite the fact that the Part C plans in Massachusetts almost all come from the same Massachusetts-based non-profit-charity sponsors that most of us have been using our entire working lives (we're not talking about the blood-sucking for-profit insurance companies you hear about in Democratic Party propaganda)

The problem is that Massachusetts SHIP volunteers get much of their training material from far left wing Democratic Party front groups such as the Center for Medicare Advocacy, the Medicare Rights Center, the National Something or Other for Social Security and Medicare, the National Coalition on the Aging, and others who apparently did not get the message that the national Democrats are no longer against public Part C of Medicare as they were until they lost the 2010 House election.

Depending on where you live, depend on pages 4-5 of "Medicare and You, 2018" before heading out to a SHIP volunteer unless you are sure they are not trained by the Democratic Party in your state.medandyou2018page4.jpg

medandyou2018page5.jpg

Just to give you an example of how NOT "impartial" SHIP is in Massachusetts, I was a SHIP volunteer between 2011-2013 and was told to give out Obama campaign propaganda to seniors at the senior center. Again, I am not saying SHIP is like this in every state and I still prefer it to an insurance agent only because an agent has a conflict of interest in terms of what insurance brands he or she represents.

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 7 of 16

@jodymu421

Gail gave you the best advice in her first post.

Contact your state’s “State Health Insurance Assistance Program” SHIP

You can locate your state’s contact information at this link:

https://www.seniorsresourceguide.com/directories/National/SHIP/

SHIP is funded by the federal government and is free of charge to you. The counsellors do not work for any insurance company so the information you receive from SHIP will be impartial.

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 8 of 16

GailL1 wrote:

Thank You, byrondennis -

now is there a way to stop the poundage of (private) Medicare Advantage and Prescription Drug coverage solicitations that are over loading my mailbox?  I am set for life with my OHI so I have no use for them.

Not sure if it's state law or Federal law -- and it would probably be easier to just chuck all the stuff in the recycling bin on the way in from the mail box -- but I think you can call each company and ask to be put on a "do not mail" list. There should only be  half dozen or so given that that is about the average number of brandname Medigap and Part C choices in each county (e.g., AARP might offer a zero-premium Part C plan, and Medigap Plan G and N policies, and a Part C plan for $100 a month with all kinds of bells and whistles in your county but I think they only send one brochure)

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 9 of 16

Thank You, byrondennis -

now is there a way to stop the poundage of (private) Medicare Advantage and Prescription Drug coverage solicitations that are over loading my mailbox?  I am set for life with my OHI so I have no use for them.

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 10 of 16

GailL1 wrote:

Better yet they could just send a postcard advising that the newest version is online and then ask by returning the postcard if you want the hard copy.  Wonder how much money that would save?  Course, that sort of thing might push the Post Office over the edge.  :womansurprised

It is possible to change your Medicare record so that you do not receive the hard copy. See https://www.medicare.gov/gopaperless/home.aspx

Kudos
Views