You Can Double the Difference You Make for Vulnerable Seniors — Donate Today, and Your Gift Will Be Matched! Find Out More

Info Seeker

Re: I am sick of all these phone calls, UNITED HEALTHCARE

Message 1 of 31
Don’t forget all the vote this way or that way in elections. Anytime I get an email asking me to vote one Way or another; or provide me with a form to send to my elected officials. I believe that is beyond the scope of AARP.

Sure, tell us the issues, and we can decide if we need to contact our local elected official. You could even say who our contacts are, BUT DO NOT put words in individual voters mouths.

Do you really think they take it serious if there are 200 letters that are exactly the same? No.
Report Inappropriate Content
Info Seeker

Message 2 of 31

Add me to this complaint. Ever since I signed up as an AARP member a few weeks ago, I have been INUNDATED with calls from UHC and they also mention CIGNA and others. I KNOW it's from being on AARP's list. I am seriously considering cancelling my AARP membership over this b.s. I read the replies here from moderators... I am only 58 years old, I have been getting mailings from AARP since I was 45. I finally decided ok fine I will sign up. And this is what I get? Harassing phone calls at least four or five times a day. I block the number, and they call from a different one. These numbers are from all over the United States. They are not toll-free numbers. I am 58 and I'm still employed. I'm not on Medicare or Medicaid. I don't need insurance. My number is on the DO Not CALL list! For God's sake STOP calling. This is grounds for reporting to Attorneys General. This is bull. AARP you should be ashamed. Cut off your connection to UHC and tell them to stop calling new members who did NOT request information. At no time did I EVER say I wanted information on insurance. Never. I wouldn't, since I am covered through my employer until I retire. 

Valued Social Butterfly

Message 3 of 31

@EllenF159060 wrote:

It is inconvenient and they are persistent, but I am more concerned with rates being raised based on what the assessment reports back to UHC. The 'free' always seems to come with a cost.

You nor anybody else is singled out in a Medicare Advantage plan as a result of your health status.  

However if the insurer can rate you as a riskier health beneficiary - Medicare will pay the insurer MORE for servicing you.  There is a formula for this which comes from CMS based on the beneficiary's health status.

Some of these assessments are beneficial to the beneficiary.  Some insurers will include in the assessment a safety check - things around the home which could cause injury to a frail beneficiary.  

Personally, I don't see anything wrong with having the assessment - although I am not real keen on having any stranger in my home.  To me, the concerning part is what the assessment is used for after it is done.  Will they use it to communicate to your doctor?  Will they or somebody follow up on whatever they might determine to be a problem - previously known or unknown.  Or is it being used just to get Medicare to pay them more money because you are determined to be a riskier beneficiary.

Info Seeker

Message 4 of 31

It is inconvenient and they are persistent, but I am more concerned with rates being raised based on what the assessment reports back to UHC. The 'free' always seems to come with a cost.

Valued Social Butterfly

Message 5 of 31

@TeaS484499wrote:

Me too!  Amerigroup calls SEVERAL times a day and early in the morning when I am trying to sleep!  I block the number and they call from a different number!  I ride horses, what are they going to come tell me I’m going to trip on a rug and put a handrail in the bathtub?

It seems to be their philosophy 

Amerigroup - Whole Person Care

There is a lot more to it than just home safety issues as their website indicates.

If they are insuring you, they just want to limit their risk and make sure you are healthy, stay healthy based on what science says.

Info Seeker

Message 6 of 31

Me too!  Amerigroup calls SEVERAL times a day and early in the morning when I am trying to sleep!  I block the number and they call from a different number!  I ride horses, what are they going to come tell me I’m going to trip on a rug and put a handrail in the bathtub?

Valued Social Butterfly

Message 7 of 31

j405912w wrote:

Add me to the club.  I have requested that they not call me.  I don't want anyone coming to my home.  My physician is on top of all my issues and the calls are a major aggravation since I get at least one a week and sometimes multiple calls.  AARP & United Healthcare need to have a way for you to opt out.  

HouseCalls From United Healthcare (aarpmedicareplans.com) updated 07/11/2017

IN-HOME RISK ASSESSMENT PROGRAMS: WHAT MEDICARE WANTS - Berkley Research Group

Valued Social Butterfly

Message 8 of 31

j405912w wrote:

Add me to the club.  I have requested that they not call me.  I don't want anyone coming to my home.  My physician is on top of all my issues and the calls are a major aggravation since I get at least one a week and sometimes multiple calls.  AARP & United Healthcare need to have a way for you to opt out.  

As another commenter notes, becasue you signed up with that insurer or that sponsor, the insurer or sponsor has the right to make those calls. If the insurer or sponsor will not honor your request to stop the calls, now is the time to switch to another insurer or sponsor. However, if this particular policy is the only insurance your favorite provider or provider accepts or accept, and you want to keep that/those provider/providers, you may have no choice. But at least look into in the next few weeks.

Info Seeker

Message 9 of 31

Valued Social Butterfly

Message 10 of 31

Several Medicare Advantage insurers do this - it is because they hope they can give you a higher risk score so that Medicare will pay them more because they get paid more if you are sicker.

They don't seem to be doing the house calls too much anymore but will call you and ask health questions, especially if you recently went to a doctor.

Here is an article about it from Public Integrity.

https://www.publicintegrity.org/2014/06/10/14880/home-where-money-medicare-advantage-plans