Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

I am sick of all these phone calls, UNITED HEALTHCARE

I am sick of all these phone calls, UNITED HEALTHCARE

United Health Care: calls from 443-853-6898
I am TIRED OF THESE 2-3X wkly calls!!!!!!!!!!! wants to have a "home service" available from my medical insurance ...hang up! I NEVER gave my cell # for _this_
Caller: Home service United HealthCare?? AARP do something about it! I joined via, YOU
Contributor

I second your opinion. I’m extremely disgruntled. The guy I spoke to today was more persistent than Prof. Harold Hill in “The Music Man.”  Why on earth, during a pandemic, would I allow some schmo I don’t know into my home to perform redundant tests and physical exams?  I’m not home-bound. To me, this smacks of them trying to detect if we are still “insurance-worthy.”  Maybe time to check out other Medicare options. AARP, how is this cool??

Periodic Contributor

I don't have a problem with UHC phone calls, but I got a flyer in the mail about Medicare Advantage. Came to find out that their MA is not available in my area. Called them and the rep confirmed unavailability but could not or would not say why I got the flyer anyway. Reported to FTC, Medicare and state DOI for false/misleading advertising.

Periodic Contributor

I agree. I have found them so intrusive and annoying that I am thinking of switching to another provider. Fortunately, I have caller ID so I never take calls from United Healthcare. I also immediately delete their emails. I personally don't need or want their nurses, housecalls and so on.

Same here - don't give information over the phone! Told them to bug OFF

Periodic Contributor

I solved the problem of all spam calls by putting a spam blocker on both my mobile phone (Robokiller) which allows you to screen calls, answer the call, block the caller or automatically block known spammers. For the landline phone you can buy a spam blocker much better than Nomorobo (this limits your entries to 25, is not good).

Contributor

I had a friend who did that, and when he entered a raffle and won $2500 they could not get in touch with him because the calls were blocked.  Make sure you don't ever use that phone number for anything that may be in some way important....   like a $2500 raffle.

I’m getting these same calls about 2-4x a week sometimes more and they are being very pushy and insisting I verify all my information with the caller. I haven’t provided any information however I have told them numerous times No Thank you, Place me on your Do Not Call List and I was told “We can’t do that Ma’am” 

This isn’t right! The phone number starts with 443 and the Caller ID shows United Health.

Periodic Contributor

I have been facing the same problem and the worst problem is they call you during work hours. Is there any permanent solution to this problem

Kudos
Views
Periodic Contributor

Not sure why anyone would sign up with United Healthcare for a MediGap policy.  I researched both Plan G and Plan N and found that AARP/United Healthcare have some of the highest monthly premiums.  Remember that all insurers MUST offer the same benefits for each Plan letter designation.  Why would you choose one with a higher monthly premium?

My wife and I have had Mutual of Omaha Plan N for 2 years and have never had any issues.  She has had two major surgeries and we have only paid the Part B deductible for our out-of-pocket costs.

In my state the AARP/UHC MediGap policy was the only insurer that offered a "Community based" pricing (vs. "Issue Age" or "Attained Age"), meaning the price should not skyrocket in my later years.  Possibly that is why it was priced somewhat higher than many of the others (although still much less than some).  Granted the "Community" priced premiums will likely increase with time and inflation (as will all the others); but in the long run I should save money.

Contributor

Mine was the most reasonable of all premiums.  As they say, your mileage may vary.....

Honored Social Butterfly

@RMHarley00 wrote:

Not sure why anyone would sign up with United Healthcare for a MediGap policy. . . . .

These calls probably aren't from insurers who represent a (any) Medigap plan which a beneficiary may have in addition to their original Medicare - that's just Gap insurance.  These calls are probably from insurers who represent the beneficiary with a Medicare Advantage plan which they have chosen instead of original Medicare.  They have a high stake in keeping the beneficiary healthy; they also have a higher stake in knowing just how sick (or not) a beneficiary may be - That may include things which a doctor check up doesn't always cover like evaluating the beneficiary safety, nutrition, emotional, physical and social well-being in everyday life.

It's Always Something . . . . Roseanna Roseannadanna
Periodic Contributor

You are right. Housecalls is affiliated with Medicare Advantage for the very reason you say.  Last year I blocked them with RoboKiller until December when they left a message offering me and my husband $75 each for their 1/2 hour in-home 'check-up'. Why refuse $150???  I today received an email with an offer for $50 each if we accept. I'm waiting under December!!  Point is, they don't get through my screener so I never receive the calls.

Contributor

If I want a home visit I will let you know.  Really terrible idea for a high risk couple during a pandemic.  We will stick with twice yearly primary physician check up appointments or seek medical care as needed.

I get too many annoying calls already.  Reported to nomorobo.

I will not reward this unethical, inconsiderate telemarketing.

Continuation after request to stop is a violation of donotcall registry law!

$10,000 fine per occurence.

Had to tell OptumRx to knock it off, too. I don't want my meds delivered to a mailbox a block away in extreme heat or cold. 

They call me almost every day for surveys or prescription reminders or want me to change pharmacy.  I am 72 and I know how to dress myself and don't need someone to ask me if I have fallen lately or tell me what kind of shoes to wear.  And the Junk mail never stops?  Doctors listed in their book are not taking new patients.  Not a single Rheumatologist is listed.  Shissh!

I get calls almost every day to answer a survey!  I get 4, 5,6 surveys a month.  I have tried to call my navigator and he is "Never" there. I leave messages for him to return my call and it never happens.  I get junk mail every day.  They call my doctors. They want me to chsnge my pharmacy they want to remind me to fill my prescriptions.  I am sick and it never stops!

Contributor

My problem is they keep trying to wedge themselves between me and my pharmacy over the frequency of refills on my blood pressure meds. My doctor has already told me that I am doing so well that I can skip a dose once in awhile or split it. They are seeing I'm not getting refills like clockwork and are calling me weekly. Last week they got pushy; a pharmacist with United called me wanting to know what issues I was having. Long story short I wound up hanging up on her after -I felt- being talked to like a senile idiot. They then apparently called my pharmacy themselves with a refill order!  My pharmacist just will disregard the refill order. I have NEVER encountered such pushiness  from any carrier and we are NOT staying with them when the time comes. BTW my BP read this week at my doctors office was 116/62.I'd say I'm doing just fine without their nannying.

Contributor

I just received these calls from House Calls, as well, after only signing up for MedicareAdvantage through United Health Care.  When I checked the number, it comes up as spam.  They called twice, from a 443 area code and from an 866 area code.  They left a message asking me to call - not asking for me by name, not stating that it is a benefit of Advantage - nothing.  Out of curiosity, I called them.  They start asking me for specific info without first letting me know what they are about. They were quite argumentative.  I called Customer Service at United Health Care.  The first person I got was friendly but didn't seem to understand at all.  I called and got another person - understanding.  She got it - I think.  She put me on a Do Not Call list (I hope!)  I told her I did not want to be called at that number.  Given the amount of spam people get, this is not the way to go about promoting the program's services.  I told her to send info by mail or email but DO NOT CALL, especially that number.  It looks like MANY people are complaining about the same thing, so why don't they get a clue and stop calling.  I agree with all of the posts here.

Regular Contributor

I started getting these last year also but I use Google Voice so I just blocked the number they were calling from.

They still send me mail pitching the service on me under a bad spelling of my last name.
Periodic Contributor

I am new to Medicare and to my United Heathcare Supplement. I have to say that I, too, am getting sick of the courtesy calls from United Healthcare. Today's was to tell me that they will be calling in a couple of days with important health related questions. Thanks for the warning! I'll know not to pick up the phone then either. How do I get them to leave me alone?

I'm not even going to comment on the junk mail I receive from them every day. I signed up. Stop soliciting me.

Any guidance will be welcome because they are getting really annoying.

Honored Social Butterfly

@necolson wrote:

I am new to Medicare and to my United Heathcare Supplement. I have to say that I, too, am getting sick of the courtesy calls from United Healthcare. Today's was to tell me that they will be calling in a couple of days with important health related questions.. . . .

. . . . . Any guidance will be welcome because they are getting really annoying.

Just for clarity, @necolson -

You have Original Medicare with a Medicare Supplemental (MEDIGAP) Plan from UHC 

OR

You have a Medicare Advantage Plan through UHC

Your answer will depend on your request for any guidance.

Periodic Contributor

In answer to your question, I have Original Medicare with a Medicare Supplement.

Honored Social Butterfly

@necolson wrote:

In answer to your question, I have Original Medicare with a Medicare Supplement.

Then the phone calls are REALLY WEIRD; they are probably trying to sell you something else or to get you to switch to their MA plan - or it could be someone fishing to get your info.

Medicare.gov - Identity theft: protect yourself 

If from UHC - The health questions may be qualifiers to what product(s) you might have some interest. MA plans give the same benefits as traditional Medicare but in a different way.  MA plans can offer additional benefits not covered by traditional Medicare - it is up to them what but it could be things like transportation to and from appointments, perhaps meal deliveries OTC medication discounts or even something more appealing like a walkin bath - it varies what they offer.

MA plans get part of their Medicare pay for rating you and your health conditions - the more conditions you have, the more Medicare pays the MA plan to take care of your healthcare needs.

But since you don't have a MA plan but instead have traditional Medicare with a Supplemental plan (which is only GAP insurance) then there is nothing I can think of that a MEDIGAP insurer needs from you as far as info on your health - Medicare actually handles your claims and sends them the Medigap insurer for their part of the payment - that is basically all the Medigap insurer does - pay their part of the claim when they get it from Medicare.  If Medicare pays/ doesn't pay - the same is true of the Medigap plan.

Just be careful that you know who you are talking to and what info is given or what info they want and why.

Periodic Contributor

Thank you!

I keep getting these calls as well but they come up as scam on my phone. So I called UHC and told them what was going on. First they said it doesn't look like one of their numbers, then they tried calling the number which came up as disconnected 5 minutes after they called me. Then they researched my account and said there are no records of  of any calls that need to be made to me from UHC for any reason. The only time it showed I was to receive a call from them was for a welcome call 1 1/2 years ago when I became a member. THIS IS A SCAM!!!!! The phone number calling me is 952-367-8000. If you receive a call from them, UHC verified it is a scam.

Periodic Contributor

I think the calls are a good idea for people who don't maintain a good, regular relationship with a primary care physician.  For those of us who do, however, it's really annoying, and there should be a way we can opt out.

Contributor

I can understand if the calls were to try to get you to switch to their plan but since I’ve been with UHC 21/2 years all those calls are harassment. Everytime I tell them they call too much they just laugh. I got a call yesterday and 2 so far today and I just told the 2nd caller today I was not about to have that same conversation that I just had yesterday. They want to go over each medication to see if I take it like I should, how do I organize them, do I need refills, do I need them to call my pharmacist and I just dont understand that call. I been taking the same medicine 15-20 years and I’m 66 and theirs calls make it seem like  I’m a totally idiot. Last year I filed a complaint against them with our State Medicaid office and it stopped for a while but when enrollment time came around it started all over again. I need to know if the other insurances companies do the same thing because I’ll switch just to get some peace.

Contributor

As a licensed agent for Medicare Advantage Insurance carriers, I work with clients that have chosen United Healthcare as their coverage.  If you have also done that you will periodically receive calls from a nurse to check with you about your health, to see how your chronic illnesses are such as diabetes or high blood pressure.  Also, once a year a housecalls provider will schedule an in home appointment to come out and do another annual assessment.  These have proven very helpful and, in some cases, have detected early colon cancer.    

So, when you get that annoying phone call asking about housecalls or for personal information make sure it's your insurance plan first. Then, if you are comfortable giving the information proceed. You do not have to participate in these programs. They are optional.

I always tell my clients that if they are happy with their current coverage,  just tell the person on the phone that or give them my number to contact. It doesn't always stop the calls. 

But, I have heard if you tell them you have "the state" plan, they will leave you alone.

Your NC Medicare Agent 

God bless!

Contributor

The calls are spam. Period. Whether you think they are beneficial or not does not matter. If people don't want to be contacted, the law says under the TCPA they need a way to opt out. 

These calls are truly only for the benefit of UHC by nosing into people's homes and private lives and finding ways to cut their benefits.

Conversationalist

@SharonB897005 what the heck is a "state" plan?

Bark less. Wag more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Atari Centipede® and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP