Refresh your driving skills with the AARP Smart Driver online course! Use promo code THANKS to save 25 percent.

Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Re: I am sick of all these phone calls, UNITED HEALTHCARE

Message 11 of 59

Removed reply to avoid possible retaliation.

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Frequent Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 12 of 59

@mc4039 UHC keeps calling me about these home visits. 

You probably have a managed care plan, HMO or PPO, but not original Medicare and a Medigap plan. In other words, an Advantage plan.

The home visit is to make sure you are doing what you need to maintain your health . . . and protect THEIR wallet.

It is only when you get sick(er) that THEY have to pony up serious money to  pay your claims.

Original Medicare allows you and your doctor to make decisions about your health care. No house calls. No follow up phone calls. They assume you are an adult and can take care of yourself.

Bark less. Wag more.
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 13 of 59

The calls are coming from UNited Health Care

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 14 of 59

What's up with these "House Calls" program? I have a great relationship with my primary doctor, I make all of my visits, have all of my tests run on time, yet UHC keeps calling me about these home visits. I find it to be a gross invasion of privacy. I believe there is an ulterior motive and someone needs to start looking into this from a legal standpoint. I don't appreciate UHC trying to wedge itself between me and my Doctor. I already canceled my car insurance and house insurance that I had through AARP/Hartford and went back to State Farm. Perhaps I need to do the same with UHC. Also, I am tired of getting all of these renewal letters from AARP when I have over two years left on my membership. What’s up with that?

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Kudos
Views

Message 15 of 59

@BarbMHill  since your situation is "definitely" calls originating from UHC your complaint needs to be direct to them and do it in writing. It may not solve your problem but it can't hurt.

Try directing your complaint to the UHC customer service department.

https://www.uhc.com/contact-us/for-members

Complaining to the FTC may not work since businesses are permitted to contact customers where a relationship exists. That being said, I can't imagine a business continuing to call once the customer told them they wanted to opt out of ANY solicitation. 

Charities and political organizations are also exempt from the FTC Do Not Call rules.

Here are some guidelines on how to deal with unwanted calls. This applies to "cold" calls absent a business relationship.

https://www.ftc.gov/tips-advice/business-center/guidance/complying-telemarketing-sales-rule

https://www.ftc.gov/tips-advice/business-center/guidance/complying-telemarketing-sales-rule

Bark less. Wag more.
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 16 of 59

Thank you for your reply. It is DEFINITELY  UHC.  They do leave a message to call them back. 

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 17 of 59

Thank you for your reply. It is DEFINITELY  UHC.  They do leave a message to call them back. You can not block the number because it is not always the same. The program is called “House Call’s”.  

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 18 of 59

I have not gone through all 5 pages of comments and replies, but it is entirely possible the calls are not from UHC or AARP representatives. Seniors are BOMBARDED with calls routinely, especially during open enrollment. The caller CLAIMS to be with a carrier or marketing group (such as AARP).

They may also claim to be with Medicare.

You will also get mail and email from individuals soliciting your business. They can and will make all kinds of claims to get you to switch plans or buy a product they claim is "free" if you are on Medicare.

You can put a call block on your phone where numbers not whitelisted will be rejected. That will stop the robocalls but you will also miss calls you would like to receive.

Consider doing what many of us do. Don't answer any phone number you don't recognize. Let it go to voice mail.

Most of those callers will not leave a voice mail message.

You can also do what my wife does. Pick up the phone but say nothing. Robocalls will generally disconnect after 20 seconds or so of dead air.

Bark less. Wag more.
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 19 of 59

Exactly as pclarkaz says below: United makes more money by sending a (perhaps qualified) medical person to check you out, looking for conditions you might have that put you into a higher risk category for Medicare, meaning Medicare has to pay United more to cover you. Results? Profit for United! It stinks. May not be illegal (that is, if United tells Medicare the truth, and frankly how would WE know?) but it's not motivated by any other than $$ concerns.  Here's an article that may help: 

https://publicintegrity.org/health/home-is-where-the-money-is-for-medicare-advantage-plans/

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 20 of 59

Got one of these this morning.  Pressure tactics!  Sounded like he was from somewhere on the Indian Subcontinent.  Finally had to tell him that I did not want anyone like him to visit my house.  Don't do this folks..... "Scam" came to mind.

Kudos
Views