Refresh your driving skills and you could save on your auto insurance! Sign up for the AARP Smart Driver course.

Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

UNITED HEALTHCARE is really questionable

Message 21 of 56

I got UHC when my employer (I, as a retiree) switched to it. The only advantage is that it's a PPO, not an HMO (as the Blue Shield was).  It's a Medicare Advantage program like the one AARP offers.

The statements come often but are very reader-unfriendly and lack important information. Medicare told me that they have no records at all--because they pay UHC a monthly amount per person based on statistics, not on what medical services were actually given. So, Medicare doesn't have my medical information anymore.

It does look to me, as people have written below, that UHC is very business/profit oriented.

I try hard to avoid their phone calls.  When I said that I would not have anyone coming to my house, the woman tried a "sell" technique by offering me a Target gift card.

UHC can keep their gift cards!

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Re: I am sick of all these phone calls, UNITED HEALTHCARE

Message 22 of 56

For the love of God, stop calling me please!!

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 23 of 56

Thanks, Chris.

I was told by one of my providers just the other day that UHC is "the worst."

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 24 of 56

It feels like a telemarketing call. Sad. A way for them to get more $ from Medicare with little cost involved. 

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 25 of 56

I use to work for the housecalls program. We were yelled and screamed at all the time.   We called the same people over and over  even when they said no more calls   they didn't care they forced us to call over and over  

Uhc dont care

We were forced to get 15 to 20 appointments per day. It was like telemarketing 

We had to con members into getting it done  lie if needed

Dont do the housecalls program. It's a waste of time. They will cram it down your throat like it's the best thing in the world 

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 26 of 56
Don’t forget all the vote this way or that way in elections. Anytime I get an email asking me to vote one Way or another; or provide me with a form to send to my elected officials. I believe that is beyond the scope of AARP.

Sure, tell us the issues, and we can decide if we need to contact our local elected official. You could even say who our contacts are, BUT DO NOT put words in individual voters mouths.

Do you really think they take it serious if there are 200 letters that are exactly the same? No.
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 27 of 56

Add me to this complaint. Ever since I signed up as an AARP member a few weeks ago, I have been INUNDATED with calls from UHC and they also mention CIGNA and others. I KNOW it's from being on AARP's list. I am seriously considering cancelling my AARP membership over this b.s. I read the replies here from moderators... I am only 58 years old, I have been getting mailings from AARP since I was 45. I finally decided ok fine I will sign up. And this is what I get? Harassing phone calls at least four or five times a day. I block the number, and they call from a different one. These numbers are from all over the United States. They are not toll-free numbers. I am 58 and I'm still employed. I'm not on Medicare or Medicaid. I don't need insurance. My number is on the DO Not CALL list! For God's sake STOP calling. This is grounds for reporting to Attorneys General. This is bull. AARP you should be ashamed. Cut off your connection to UHC and tell them to stop calling new members who did NOT request information. At no time did I EVER say I wanted information on insurance. Never. I wouldn't, since I am covered through my employer until I retire. 

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 28 of 56

@EllenF159060 wrote:

It is inconvenient and they are persistent, but I am more concerned with rates being raised based on what the assessment reports back to UHC. The 'free' always seems to come with a cost.

You nor anybody else is singled out in a Medicare Advantage plan as a result of your health status.  

However if the insurer can rate you as a riskier health beneficiary - Medicare will pay the insurer MORE for servicing you.  There is a formula for this which comes from CMS based on the beneficiary's health status.

Some of these assessments are beneficial to the beneficiary.  Some insurers will include in the assessment a safety check - things around the home which could cause injury to a frail beneficiary.  

Personally, I don't see anything wrong with having the assessment - although I am not real keen on having any stranger in my home.  To me, the concerning part is what the assessment is used for after it is done.  Will they use it to communicate to your doctor?  Will they or somebody follow up on whatever they might determine to be a problem - previously known or unknown.  Or is it being used just to get Medicare to pay them more money because you are determined to be a riskier beneficiary.

* * * * It's Always Something . . . Roseanne Roseannadanna
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 29 of 56

It is inconvenient and they are persistent, but I am more concerned with rates being raised based on what the assessment reports back to UHC. The 'free' always seems to come with a cost.

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 30 of 56

@TeaS484499wrote:

Me too!  Amerigroup calls SEVERAL times a day and early in the morning when I am trying to sleep!  I block the number and they call from a different number!  I ride horses, what are they going to come tell me I’m going to trip on a rug and put a handrail in the bathtub?

It seems to be their philosophy 

Amerigroup - Whole Person Care

There is a lot more to it than just home safety issues as their website indicates.

If they are insuring you, they just want to limit their risk and make sure you are healthy, stay healthy based on what science says.

* * * * It's Always Something . . . Roseanne Roseannadanna
Kudos
Views
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

Have a question about AARP membership or benefits? Ask it in the AARP Help Membership forum, Benefits & Discounts forum, or General forum.

multiple white question marks with center red question mark

Top Authors