Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

How do you manage your prescription meds?

Retired Community Manager

How do you manage your prescription meds?

Do you find the high cost of prescription medications challenging? If so, what are your ways of dealing with this?

https://www.aarp.org/health/drugs-supplements/info-2019/many-trying-to-save-on-prescriptions.html

Contributor

I currently get my meds through my county healthcare system. I am on about 15 different meds and pay $4 for each prescription whether it is a 30 or 90 day supply. On average I pay about $20 per month for refills. When I qualified for state medicaid, they paid UHC to provide "drug coverage". Based on drug summaries UHC sent me quarterly, they never paid for any of my meds because my coverage had a $1500 a year deductible which I "never met". With changes in the state medicaid guidelines,  I no longer was eligible, which meant no drug "coverage". UHC independently decided to "pretend" to be my supplemental drug coverage provider and started sending me bills for premiums. I called them twice to stop harassing me. Why should I pay for services they were never providing when the state  was paying them?

Contributor

I order through Canadian Pharmacy. It is a lot cheaper. Never had any problems with them. And you get to talk to a real person, that can give quotes.

Contributor

As of January I switched to aarp’s recommend  rx plan UHC and I’m extremely disappointed. Previously I paid only $28.50 a month and now I pay approximately $76 today for a plan which really doesn’t offer savings. No matter what plan, you hit the donut hole sooner or later. When that occurs I immediately request a script to be sent to my Canadian pharmacy to fill the remainder of the necessary meds.

What’s alarming today I pay $511 as my portion for the Med and UHC almost $300, I can buy the same Med from Canada for $411, brand name. Generic drug I take is UHC $200 plus, Canadian pharmacy less than $50.

I’m sure my feedback my not make the public but I’m really disappointed of the actions by aarp and UHC.

Retired Community Manager

@mantognoli 

We are sorry to learn about your concerns regarding your AARP MedicareRx Plan, insured by UnitedHealthcare. In order to better clarify and address your concerns, someone from our Member Relations team will be reaching out to you directly by email to further discuss.

Kudos
Views

I use a minimal amount of meds.  High BP, Flowmax, Cholestrol control.  The best cost I've found was Costco.  The program that AARP supports is bogus in my estimation.  You DO NOT have to be a member to get their good pricing.  If you are a member, you're cost will be even lower.  All done by mail.  How much easier could it be?

Contributor

I have Medicare, and I purchased Medicare Part D, which is a real lfesaver for me.  I have COPD and the meds I take are really expensive.  Without Part D, there is no way I could pay for my prescriptions.

Honored Social Butterfly

I had no problem with 'basic' cholesterol and bp meds. But, I'm now taking Revlimid for bone marrow cancer --- retail price is $1000 a pill. My cost, with AARP Plan D, with the donut hole, will be about $16000 a year. I'm applying  to charitable foundations for monies. First 21 pills cost me about $3000 and put me through donut hole and catastrophic coverage. But continuing, it will be about $1100 a month for 21 pills.  

So, bottom line is that I can only manage this, without some financial assistance, only so long before this really takes a bite out of savings.

"...Why is everyone a victim? Take personal responsibility for your life..."
Honored Social Butterfly

Follow up to my 3/23/ posting. I have been approved for a $10000 a year grant from one of the cancer organizations that provides financial assistance. I agree with another poster --- should not have to research this. And yes, I have AARP RX  which along with Medicare, does cover over 90% of the cost. The real issue is the ridiculous price of the med in the first place ($1000 a pill, daily).

"...Why is everyone a victim? Take personal responsibility for your life..."
Contributor

I have Medicare and supplemental plan and drug plan. My drug plan premium is $24/- monthly. I am on medication which costs $11,000 for 3 weeks supply. I called the drug company who connected me to a foundation which gave me grant for copay if $8000/yr. as soon as I exhausted most of grant money, I contacted drug company and they asked me to complete the financial assistance form, get it signed by doctor and have doctor fax the form. Which I did and I got a call next day that I will have free supply of drug for 2019. One has to do research and make few calls.

Periodic Contributor

I think I'm in the minority when thinking that one should NOt have to 'research' to take advantage of our health insurance system. AND IN THIS CASE, YOU WERE PAYING FOR RX INSURANCE!!!  Not only that, then apply for a grant from the manufacturer to get needed medication.  And if the manufacturer's representative was having a bad day the day your grant application arrived...what then?  

And what of those that aren't savy enough or don't have the research tools to do this research?  This is health care in 21st Century America.  Someone need to take a deep  breath.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Atari Centipede® and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP