Is your 'stuff' stressing you out? TV personality Matt Paxton has tips for downsizing and decluttering in our free, two-part webinar! Register now.

Trusted Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: How do you manage your prescription meds?

Message 1 of 12

Follow up to my 3/23/ posting. I have been approved for a $10000 a year grant from one of the cancer organizations that provides financial assistance. I agree with another poster --- should not have to research this. And yes, I have AARP RX  which along with Medicare, does cover over 90% of the cost. The real issue is the ridiculous price of the med in the first place ($1000 a pill, daily).

"...Why is everyone a victim? Take personal responsibility for your life..."
Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 2 of 12

I currently get my meds through my county healthcare system. I am on about 15 different meds and pay $4 for each prescription whether it is a 30 or 90 day supply. On average I pay about $20 per month for refills. When I qualified for state medicaid, they paid UHC to provide "drug coverage". Based on drug summaries UHC sent me quarterly, they never paid for any of my meds because my coverage had a $1500 a year deductible which I "never met". With changes in the state medicaid guidelines,  I no longer was eligible, which meant no drug "coverage". UHC independently decided to "pretend" to be my supplemental drug coverage provider and started sending me bills for premiums. I called them twice to stop harassing me. Why should I pay for services they were never providing when the state  was paying them?

Kudos
Views
Community Manager
Kudos
Views

Message 3 of 12

@mantognoli 

We are sorry to learn about your concerns regarding your AARP MedicareRx Plan, insured by UnitedHealthcare. In order to better clarify and address your concerns, someone from our Member Relations team will be reaching out to you directly by email to further discuss.

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 4 of 12

I order through Canadian Pharmacy. It is a lot cheaper. Never had any problems with them. And you get to talk to a real person, that can give quotes.

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 5 of 12

As of January I switched to aarp’s recommend  rx plan UHC and I’m extremely disappointed. Previously I paid only $28.50 a month and now I pay approximately $76 today for a plan which really doesn’t offer savings. No matter what plan, you hit the donut hole sooner or later. When that occurs I immediately request a script to be sent to my Canadian pharmacy to fill the remainder of the necessary meds.

What’s alarming today I pay $511 as my portion for the Med and UHC almost $300, I can buy the same Med from Canada for $411, brand name. Generic drug I take is UHC $200 plus, Canadian pharmacy less than $50.

I’m sure my feedback my not make the public but I’m really disappointed of the actions by aarp and UHC.

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 6 of 12

I use a minimal amount of meds.  High BP, Flowmax, Cholestrol control.  The best cost I've found was Costco.  The program that AARP supports is bogus in my estimation.  You DO NOT have to be a member to get their good pricing.  If you are a member, you're cost will be even lower.  All done by mail.  How much easier could it be?

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 7 of 12

I think I'm in the minority when thinking that one should NOt have to 'research' to take advantage of our health insurance system. AND IN THIS CASE, YOU WERE PAYING FOR RX INSURANCE!!!  Not only that, then apply for a grant from the manufacturer to get needed medication.  And if the manufacturer's representative was having a bad day the day your grant application arrived...what then?  

And what of those that aren't savy enough or don't have the research tools to do this research?  This is health care in 21st Century America.  Someone need to take a deep  breath.

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 8 of 12

I have Medicare and supplemental plan and drug plan. My drug plan premium is $24/- monthly. I am on medication which costs $11,000 for 3 weeks supply. I called the drug company who connected me to a foundation which gave me grant for copay if $8000/yr. as soon as I exhausted most of grant money, I contacted drug company and they asked me to complete the financial assistance form, get it signed by doctor and have doctor fax the form. Which I did and I got a call next day that I will have free supply of drug for 2019. One has to do research and make few calls.

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 9 of 12

I have Medicare, and I purchased Medicare Part D, which is a real lfesaver for me.  I have COPD and the meds I take are really expensive.  Without Part D, there is no way I could pay for my prescriptions.

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 10 of 12

@VoyagerVicki many folks do nothing to "manage their drug costs". They buy a drug plan when first enrolled in Medicare and never change it unless the plan is discontinued or they move out of the service area.

A smart consumer will  . . .

• shop their plan every year during open enrollment
  • compare cash and discount pricing to formulary pricing
  • use preferred pharmacy's when possible
  • in some cases, buying some med's with cash at a different pharmacy will save vs using the PDP at a preferred pharmacy
  • use generics as often as possible
  • use mail order option when feasible
  • check your ANOC and consider "stocking up" before a next year price increase kicks in
  • ordering from Canada is another option

Also, @VoyagerVicki your link is broken.

Other ways of managing your costs include the following. One place to start is on the Medicare PAP page

https://www.medicare.gov/pharmaceutical-assistance-program/

Some may qualify for Extra Help

https://www.ssa.gov/benefits/medicare/prescriptionhelp/

SPAP's are another outlet

https://www.medicareinteractive.org/get-answers/cost-saving-programs-for-people-with-medicare/state-...

A patient may qualify for a clinical trial where "free" or reduced cost treatment is available

If you have original Medicare and a supplement plan, infusion therapy is often covered under Part B.

Bark less. Wag more.
Kudos
Views
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

Have a question about AARP membership or benefits? Ask it in the AARP Help Membership forum, Benefits & Discounts forum, or General forum.

multiple white question marks with center red question mark

Top Authors