Drug Tiers on AARP Medicare Rx Plan-Consumer Alert

Contributor
Kudos
Views

Re: Drug Tiers on AARP Medicare Rx Plan-Consumer Alert

Message 1 of 4

why are the tier 3 drugs so hi for Seniors when your doctor srips them for you you have to pay thge deductible before you can get them WHY>////????

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Re: Drug Tiers on AARP Medicare Rx Plan-Consumer Alert

Message 2 of 4

Publix offers many drugs now for $7.50 for a 90 day supply.  I have transferred my Tier 2 drugs to them.  I also use Good Rx to get good prices at Harvey's.

My Tier 2 drugs were $9.00 last year and are $18.00 this year at Walgreens.  Also, one of my prescriptions went from $3. to $43.00 this year!

I will not be using the Walgreens plan next year.  The only prescriptions I get there now are the Tier 1 drugs, which are free.

By the way, Publix also gives several drugs free, and many antibiotics as well.  I love Publix.  If they offered a Plan D, I would get it!

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 3 of 4
Hello all,
Just signed up with AARP Medicare Drug Plan and went to fill my first prescription, which is for levothyroxine (thyroid). This drug sells for $10 for 90 days at Wal-Mart, Sams and Costco. Walgreens charged me $15. AARP Medicare Rx plan paid 17 cents. I then looked carefully at the formulary list they sent. Only a dozen drugs were Tier 1, which is preferred generic. Rest of the generics are Tier 2, meaning much higher copay. This is a ripoff and quite unfair; you'd get over 400 generic drugs for $10 for 90 days at Wal-Mart. There are numerous medicines on the formulary being charged Tier 2, which are on Wal-Mart's $10 list. 

I will just have to be a smart shopper from now on, and ASK FOR PRICE FIRST! By the way, on Blue Cross, levothyroxine is a Tier 1 drug. Also I plan to write to customer service. If they don't move this drug to Tier 1, I will write to my Congressmen and see if they can do anything. As I see it, any drug on Wal-Mart's $10 for 90 day list should be Tier 1. Oh, I could have paid $10 by using mail order, but the point in question is the TIER. Besides, I like Costco, and I'll get it there in future paying cash. 

Oh by the way I complained about the awful phone system at the drug plan customer service in another post, and they seem to have fixed the problem which is so reassuring, that they are listening. Hope UHC will continue to value and respect their customers and listen to us. 
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views
Replies

Message 3 of 4
Hello all,
Just signed up with AARP Medicare Drug Plan and went to fill my first prescription, which is for levothyroxine (thyroid). This drug sells for $10 for 90 days at Wal-Mart, Sams and Costco. Walgreens charged me $15. AARP Medicare Rx plan paid 17 cents. I then looked carefully at the formulary list they sent. Only a dozen drugs were Tier 1, which is preferred generic. Rest of the generics are Tier 2, meaning much higher copay. This is a ripoff and quite unfair; you'd get over 400 generic drugs for $10 for 90 days at Wal-Mart. There are numerous medicines on the formulary being charged Tier 2, which are on Wal-Mart's $10 list. 

I will just have to be a smart shopper from now on, and ASK FOR PRICE FIRST! By the way, on Blue Cross, levothyroxine is a Tier 1 drug. Also I plan to write to customer service. If they don't move this drug to Tier 1, I will write to my Congressmen and see if they can do anything. As I see it, any drug on Wal-Mart's $10 for 90 day list should be Tier 1. Oh, I could have paid $10 by using mail order, but the point in question is the TIER. Besides, I like Costco, and I'll get it there in future paying cash. 

Oh by the way I complained about the awful phone system at the drug plan customer service in another post, and they seem to have fixed the problem which is so reassuring, that they are listening. Hope UHC will continue to value and respect their customers and listen to us. 
Kudos
Views
Replies