Caring for a loved one? Find a part-time job that fits your schedule. Search the AARP Job Board.

Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Re: Do you get your free annual wellness visit?

Message 1 of 10

Wow!  That means that if a doc does 3 per hour for an 8 hour day, Medicare pays over 25 thousand dollars!  No wonder the system is failing.  This is really a sad commentary on our government and its inability to manage such an important service.  I get all my blood work done by a private service and take it in to my PCP because I know Medicare will be charged at least 5 or 6 times the amount I pay.  Currently I can afford that but I still work and this is one of my own “boycotts” of something I have strong feelings about. I know not everyone can do this.  

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 2 of 10

My wife went for her "free" first time Annual Wellness visit. The "free" Annual Wellness visit consisted of taking her weight and B.P. by a technician. The PCP performed an approximate twenty minute "no hands on discussion", as described by Medicare. This discussion was nothing more than a review of a seven page questionaire she completed in the waiting room, a referral for a mamogram and a referral to an OB/GYN (neither which require a referral). No discussion of lifestyle, dietary habits, and such. And this was "required" by the PCP before being accepted as a patient. What really angers me is that for this twenty minute visit, which was approved by our political leaders under the current  Medicare Act, the PCP was paid $1,058.00. No wonder the Medicare program is under threat. I would have thought prior to the passage of this "coded procedure", such a flagrant abuse would have identified.

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 3 of 10

Absolutely, I also get my flu shot at the same time.

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 4 of 10

@jebgvarga

You are confusing Medicare's "annual Wellness visit" with a physical  - not the same thing at all.

Medicare.gov: Preventive visit & yearly wellness exams

That's why Medicare changed the name from "Yearly Wellness Exam" to Yearly "Wellness" VISIT

Here is the link to the Medicare site that gives a list of the preventive services - click on the ones that interest you and it is more fully described as to the who, what, when and where guidelines.

Medicare.gov - Preventive and Screening Services

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 5 of 10

Yes, I do.  At my present medical practice, my doctor makes sure it's one of my 4 regular visits for the year (I usually come in at least a couple other times during the year as well).  I'm going to be switching to a different practice in January, so not sure how that will work, but I will make sure they schedule me for that one every year.

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 6 of 10

I have to agree with the others on this thread. Even my doctor said it was "practically" a waste of time as all that is covered is a "chat" about how I am feeling, any "concerns", etc. On that basis, he would know what sorts of blood tests to order for an actual physical (which is really what a "wellness exam" is) that does extract fluid samples, etc., to analyze. It seems to me that this sort of conversation would be part of a physical anyway. 

What is the logic behind this kind of so-called wellness exam? Perhaps just to get elderly people to the doctor at all, so some real services can be scheduled for them? It defies logic.

Preventive care --REAL preventive care--should be covered. 

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 7 of 10

No.  I believe it’s just another way to rip off Medicare.  If you go off topic, there WILL be a charge, so very frequently it’s not free.  I wonder how much each “free” Medicare check-up pays to the organization (“Corporate Medicine”) the doctor works for?

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 8 of 10

Last year I went in for my annual wellness check and my doctor also ordered a mammogram and routine lab work.  The visit and mammogram was paid but not the lab work.  After calling Medicare, they state no lab work is paid with a physical.  I don't understand why preventative lab work would not be covered?

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker +
Kudos
Views

Message 9 of 10

I did this once.  It was a waste of time.  We spent more time talking about the medical worker's house than anything else.

Then when I received that month's EOB I was surprised to see how much the insurance paid for that visit.  It was too much.  It would have cost less if the insurance gave me free co-pays at my PCP every other week for the year.

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Community Manager
Kudos
Views
Replies

Do you get your free annual wellness visit?

Message 10 of 10

Did you know you get a free annual wellness visit with Medicare?  Do you take advantage of this?

Find out more here:

https://www.aarp.org/health/medicare-insurance/info-2018/medicare-free-annual-wellness-visits.html

AARPTeri
Kudos
Views
Replies