Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

Do I need to register for Medicare @ 65 if I am on Medicaid from SSI disability?

Contributor

Do I need to register for Medicare @ 65 if I am on Medicaid from SSI disability?

I have been on SSI since 1999 and was pu ton Medicaid at that time. I have never thought about it until now, but with teh deluge of mail from insurance agancies, I now need to know:

Do I "have" to register and sign up for Medicare if I am on Medicaid from SSI disability. I was put on disability but only qualified for SSI at the time because I was out of country for part of the qualifying period of credits for SSD. SO all I qualified for was SSI. But Medicaid was an automatic back then and I have been on it since.

Since my qualifying items do not change, and I am turning 65, am I required by the government to sign up for Medicare?

Please, only ""for sure" answers, as guess work will get me in deeper water than I am willing to swim in. LOL

Kudos
Views
Replies
0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

Hello - I see your question has gone un-answered for a year. Here are some helpful resources for you (better late than never).

There's a great article about it right here at AARP:

Here's another great one:

Medicaid program rules can vary a lot by program and state. It would be wise to contact your state Medicaid office. 

It would also be wise to contact a reputable insurance agency in your state. A highly experienced licensed agent often knows more about Medicare/Medicaid than a government worker, and the advice is still free.
0 Kudos

Hi, any look on your research? I am in the same boat. Social Security Disblity on Medicaid. New Medicare Program book in the mail. I am working with my pharmacy to do an evaluation on my medication requirements. Forecasting my needs for a 12 month calender year for all the medications I take now. 

I am looking for a expert through AARP that I can work with in regards to what really is going to happen when my Medicaid stops and I am on Medicare. A lot of questions, so I am not only calling the Medicare support line but hoping to get good sense of this change that is comming.

Hope you are will, please feel free to share any constructive advice that comes to mind. 

Have a fine day, a better tomorrow,

Jack Robinson

"Faith Is Everything" 

Jack Robinson
0 Kudos
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Atari Asteroids® and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP