Test Your Knowledge About Long-Term Care with AARP’s Long-Term Care Quiz

Info Seeker

Re: Dissappointed with AARP's Medicare Rx Plan D provided by United Healthcare Insurance.

Message 21 of 29 (5,150 Views)
In Response to Re: Dissappointed with AARP's Medicare Rx Plan D provided by United Healthcare Insurance.:
I just got the first blow from my decision to sign up for AARP's Medicare Rx Enhanced.  Which the enhanced version is just a bigger scam.  The first thing I did was take my prescription that I need every day, to my druggist, and still pay quite a bit, but it costs more by quite a sum.  I was then dismayed to get mail yesterday from "Aarp Insurance" that my needed drug is NOT COVERED when in Dec. I went crazy trying to figure out how to sign up with them it clearly was covered.  I did input all the drugs I know that I now need, including I just received.  The best INS. that covered them all was the above plan.  I ran this model with a Medicare Counselor, several times.  Also it clearly stated prior approval not needed.
A month later, they have trapped me for a year, I am paying them $100 a month and they notice I used my insurance, and thus sent me letter saying now they DO NOT cover this drug and I was being gifted with 31 day supply,  1x only. Also they wrote at the very least I would of had to have propr approval.  So I am so angry.   Life is ruthless and AArp is no different than any money  hungry coorporation.  But they have the largest possible demographic, the Baby Boomers.  So they are laughing all the way to thier bank accounts and we are anxious and slowly realize that we have been duped.  Question why have a Plan D?  Would it not be cheaper to pay for generics and pay when possible for newer drugs?  Now I  (and all those others that have same plan) are also paying AARPS (who now make it clear that) that it is just a paid front for United Health Ins.  Would it be cheaper to pay for GAP insurance (which I do) and pay Medicaid (which I do) and not pay for Plan D?  
Info Seeker

Re: Dissappointed with AARP's Medicare Rx Plan D provided by United Healthcare Insurance.

Message 22 of 29 (5,032 Views)
In Response to Dissappointed with AARP's Medicare Rx Plan D provided by United Healthcare Insurance.:
I am so disheartened to discover that my Medicare Plan D Rx insurance that carry the AARP logo and is provided by United Healthcare Insurance Co., (for which AARP receive a royalty payment from United Health.), has a three star rating by Medicare. I expected better from a company that has AARP approval. A three star rating is average, and I don't think that is good enough to carry the AARP logo. My experience with United Health Rx plan is  not a good one. As an example I will use their tier system. Tier 1 is where most affordable drugs are located, tier 5 being the most costly for consumers. I take an eyedrop for glaucoma that in 2010 was a tier one drug. In 2011 it was moved to tier 2. In 2012 it will be located on tier 3.  The cost to me increasing with each step upward. I searched their newly issued Abridged Formulary and found 17 tier 1 drugs in 31 pages of listed drugs!   Medicare informed members that there would be no drug coverage increases this year, yet United Health informed me my premium will increase by $5. per month in 2012. Also, I keep track of the benefit statements that I receive, and have noted that in the "what you paid" column the amounts are steadily increasing, and in the "paid by your provider" the amount is always $0.0. That is right: nothing! They just move my prescription to a highter tier that prevents them from paying while I pay co-pay as well as a monthly premium. Why? Can anyone tell me how to registera complaint with AARP, and request that they pull their logo from this not so beneficial to their members insurance provider?
Posted by eMBe

Info Seeker

Message 23 of 29 (5,032 Views)
When I compaired what the medicare site said to what an AARP rep said the drug cost were very different.The other companys prices matched very close. After talking to about 5 AARP reps I finallly got 3 To give me the same amounts.
Info Seeker

Message 24 of 29 (5,032 Views)
In Response to Re: Dissappointed with AARP's Medicare Rx Plan D provided by United Healthcare Insurance.:
Unfortunately the promises of no increase are semantics not real! AARP's approval has little real meaning so you have to look at all the other options available at your location and compare them. Medicare.gov does have a service which allows you to list your medications and then get an estimate of the cost for each insurer to compare. Karl In Response to Dissappointed with AARP's Medicare Rx Plan D provided by United Healthcare Insurance. :
Posted by krlklar

when
Info Seeker

Message 25 of 29 (5,032 Views)
I too am a new subscriber to The Part D plan with UHC and Optum Rx and am also very disappointed in my initial dealings with them.

I sent in my first two prescriptions to OptumRx and waited for the meds.  When they hadn't arrived in a reasonable time I called them and they did not have my info and couldn't input it into their system.  Whilst they worked on that I had to go to a local pharmacy and get a 30 day retail supply for both.

They finally sent me both meds, but only a 31 day supply, rather than the 90 day supplies on the prescription.  In addition the prescription bottles both noted that there were "no refills - submit new prescription" even though the originl prescription was for 1 year (3- 90 day refills)

Then they sent me two reorder forms, both dated the same day.  One form had 4 refills remaining, the other three.  One form had the same date for renewal eligibility for both meds, the other had two different eligibility dates, two months apart.  On top of that they also sent a prescription renewal form for both meds, specifying a quantity of 31 pills, rather than the normal 90.

So, either I can get the meds refilled 3 times at 90 pills on the same date, 4 times at 90 pills but two months apart, or I can't get them refilled at all without a new prescription and then only at 31 pills per refill!

Customer service wasn't much better.  Couldn't tell me why there was a two month difference in the refill eligibility dates, even after supposedly talking to a pharmacist, but couldn't change it.

So I'm left to conclude that despite the nice little brochure announcing that Prescription Solutions by Optum Rx is now Optum Rx and they will be providing the same great service the serivce I've gotten so far is the same great service I'll be getting in the future.  

Glad my meds are only for blood pressure and cholesterol, not something more serious!
Info Seeker

Message 26 of 29 (5,032 Views)

I AM ALSO UNHAPPY WITH MY 2013 RX PLAN. HAMANA HAD 3 MED ON TIER ONE. THE NEW PREFERED AARP PLAN MOVED ALL THREE RXS TO TIER TWO. THRU A  PHARMACY MY COPAY WILL GO FROM $6 to $15/month.

Valued Social Butterfly

Message 27 of 29 (5,032 Views)
Unfortunately the promises of no increase are semantics not real!
AARP's approval has little real meaning so you have to look at all the other options available at your location and compare them. Medicare.gov does have a service which allows you to list your medications and then get an estimate of the cost for each insurer to compare.
Karl
In Response to Dissappointed with AARP's Medicare Rx Plan D provided by United Healthcare Insurance.:
I am so disheartened to discover that my Medicare Plan D Rx insurance that carry the AARP logo and is provided by United Healthcare Insurance Co., (for which AARP receive a royalty payment from United Health.), has a three star rating by Medicare. I expected better from a company that has AARP approval. A three star rating is average, and I don't think that is good enough to carry the AARP logo. My experience with United Health Rx plan is  not a good one. As an example I will use their tier system. Tier 1 is where most affordable drugs are located, tier 5 being the most costly for consumers. I take an eyedrop for glaucoma that in 2010 was a tier one drug. In 2011 it was moved to tier 2. In 2012 it will be located on tier 3.  The cost to me increasing with each step upward. I searched their newly issued Abridged Formulary and found 17 tier 1 drugs in 31 pages of listed drugs!   Medicare informed members that there would be no drug coverage increases this year, yet United Health informed me my premium will increase by $5. per month in 2012. Also, I keep track of the benefit statements that I receive, and have noted that in the "what you paid" column the amounts are steadily increasing, and in the "paid by your provider" the amount is always $0.0. That is right: nothing! They just move my prescription to a highter tier that prevents them from paying while I pay co-pay as well as a monthly premium. Why? Can anyone tell me how to registera complaint with AARP, and request that they pull their logo from this not so beneficial to their members insurance provider?
Posted by eMBe

Info Seeker

Dissappointed with AARP's Medicare Rx Plan D provided by United Healthcare Insurance.

Message 28 of 29 (5,032 Views)
I am so disheartened to discover that my Medicare Plan D Rx insurance that carry the AARP logo and is provided by United Healthcare Insurance Co., (for which AARP receive a royalty payment from United Health.), has a three star rating by Medicare. I expected better from a company that has AARP approval. A three star rating is average, and I don't think that is good enough to carry the AARP logo. My experience with United Health Rx plan is  not a good one. As an example I will use their tier system. Tier 1 is where most affordable drugs are located, tier 5 being the most costly for consumers. I take an eyedrop for glaucoma that in 2010 was a tier one drug. In 2011 it was moved to tier 2. In 2012 it will be located on tier 3.  The cost to me increasing with each step upward. I searched their newly issued Abridged Formulary and found 17 tier 1 drugs in 31 pages of listed drugs!   Medicare informed members that there would be no drug coverage increases this year, yet United Health informed me my premium will increase by $5. per month in 2012. Also, I keep track of the benefit statements that I receive, and have noted that in the "what you paid" column the amounts are steadily increasing, and in the "paid by your provider" the amount is always $0.0. That is right: nothing! They just move my prescription to a highter tier that prevents them from paying while I pay co-pay as well as a monthly premium. Why?

Can anyone tell me how to registera complaint with AARP, and request that they pull their logo from this not so beneficial to their members insurance provider?
Info Seeker

Dissappointed with AARP's Medicare Rx Plan D provided by United Healthcare Insurance.

Message 28 of 29 (5,035 Views)
I am so disheartened to discover that my Medicare Plan D Rx insurance that carry the AARP logo and is provided by United Healthcare Insurance Co., (for which AARP receive a royalty payment from United Health.), has a three star rating by Medicare. I expected better from a company that has AARP approval. A three star rating is average, and I don't think that is good enough to carry the AARP logo. My experience with United Health Rx plan is  not a good one. As an example I will use their tier system. Tier 1 is where most affordable drugs are located, tier 5 being the most costly for consumers. I take an eyedrop for glaucoma that in 2010 was a tier one drug. In 2011 it was moved to tier 2. In 2012 it will be located on tier 3.  The cost to me increasing with each step upward. I searched their newly issued Abridged Formulary and found 17 tier 1 drugs in 31 pages of listed drugs!   Medicare informed members that there would be no drug coverage increases this year, yet United Health informed me my premium will increase by $5. per month in 2012. Also, I keep track of the benefit statements that I receive, and have noted that in the "what you paid" column the amounts are steadily increasing, and in the "paid by your provider" the amount is always $0.0. That is right: nothing! They just move my prescription to a highter tier that prevents them from paying while I pay co-pay as well as a monthly premium. Why?

Can anyone tell me how to registera complaint with AARP, and request that they pull their logo from this not so beneficial to their members insurance provider?