AARP Members Enjoy Exclusive Discounts on Travel, Dining and More. Join Today

Info Seeker

Re: i too am disgusted with the aarp plan d. Dissappointed with AARP's Medicare Rx Plan D provided by United Healthcare Insurance.

Message 11 of 29
In Response to Re: Dissappointed with AARP's Medicare Rx Plan D provided by United Healthcare Insurance.:
Unfortunately the promises of no increase are semantics not real! AARP's approval has little real meaning so you have to look at all the other options available at your location and compare them. Medicare.gov does have a service which allows you to list your medications and then get an estimate of the cost for each insurer to compare. Karl In Response to Dissappointed with AARP's Medicare Rx Plan D provided by United Healthcare Insurance. :
Posted by krlklar

The tier 1 drugs are available at many pharmacies with no insurance.  Anything that is not generic or even many that are have to be " authoruized"  even though they have been taken and "authorized" the previous year!!!!!  Not to mention that the amount they pay is well--disapointing to say the least.
Report Inappropriate Content
Conversationalist

Re: Dissappointed with AARP's Medicare Rx Plan D provided by United Healthcare Insurance.

Message 12 of 29
I too am disappointed with UHC plan d -  I take a drug for osteporosis - a pill that many women over 65 take -  and I take the generic brand - and it is costing me $40 a month (used to pay $10 before I went on Medicare) and the best is this month the package was different when I read it noted the laboratory that makes the generic is in India to boot . I am definitely going to do more research and change plans when I can -  can't believe the cost for a generic is  more that I was paying when i wasn't on medicare .  I complained to the pharmacist and they told me that they don't set the price that either Medicare or the Health insurance industry does. This is a disgrace they are ripping off seniors - and I am sure there are more generics out there that higher prices are being charged.

amazing that Aetna Part D has Generic Boniva in Tier 2 but AARP UHC  has it in tier 3 - big ripoff - as soon as I can will be dumping UHCare part D
Info Seeker

Re: Dissappointed with AARP's Medicare Complete Choice Plan Ii (Regional PPO) provided by United Healthcare Insurance.

Message 13 of 29
I believe that if an AARP representative called United Health's customer service department, s/he would soon discover how incompetent many of those who answer the phone are.  Unfortunately, when I got inadequate or misinformation and asked for a supervisor, my experiences were often worse.
For two months after I took the policy in January 2013, I called United frequebtly to try to re-direct reimbursement payments to me instead of the provider.  I paid for three-times-a-week physical therapy services when rendered.  I was told a wide array of differing reasons my checks didn't come to me; no one suggested a way that could be changed.  One man, a supervisor in Missouri, insisted that providers never file insurance claims and that the United website and policy made clear that patients had to file their own claims.  None of that is true.
In fact, I still don't have a clear idea of how to file a claim.  Today's second of four clerks with whom I spoke told me to write a letter, identifying myself as a member and including a receipt showing that I had paid for service and a report from  the provider with the diagnosis codes.  The fourth and final clerk with whom I spoke when I called back to get a list of in-network dentists (that list is not available online, contrary to what the website says); in fact, before we finished, he said he had sent it already.  He spoke English so badly that I could barely understand him, and I fear that he didn't get the email address right.  The list never arrived.
I want to switch away from United, and I think AARP should do its own investigation. Coplaints about United Health are easily found on the internet.
Info Seeker

Re: Dissappointed with AARP's Medicare Rx Plan D provided by United Healthcare Insurance.

Message 14 of 29
We have had an issue with United Healthcare in getting a prescription filled in a timely manner.  United Healthcare has messed up the order and not shipped it on time, so we had to have it filled at a local pharmacy.  Then United Healthcare cancelled the order because they $189 instead of $7. They said it could be filled 14 days before, however they won't release it until 7 days before it expires. I have spent so much time on the phone with them, first no call back from a supervisor, and finally talked to a supervisor who tells me that it will be taken care of and processed and shipped immediately; then find out it won't.  The whole matter is very frustrating and we have to wait and hope that we receive the prescription before all the pills are gone.We could have the prescription filled locally, but would cost us more over time and prefer to save money by using the mail order pharmacy, but it does not look like they know what they are doing.
Info Seeker

Message 15 of 29
In Response to Re: Dissappointed with AARP's Medicare Rx Plan D provided by United Healthcare Insurance.:
In Response to Dissappointed with AARP's Medicare Rx Plan D provided by United Healthcare Insurance. :
Posted by blazingflower73

I use a generic form of pain releif med called Tramadol which costs $7.00 for 90 pills. My doctor kindly prescribed time released Tramadol and it now would cost me $95.00.  The drug companies uses any edge to increase a price. This is totally unfair. Anyone know who I write to about this or who the manufacturer of generic Tramadol is.

Info Seeker

Message 16 of 29
In Response to Dissappointed with AARP's Medicare Rx Plan D provided by United Healthcare Insurance.:
I am so disheartened to discover that my Medicare Plan D Rx insurance that carry the AARP logo and is provided by United Healthcare Insurance Co., (for which AARP receive a royalty payment from United Health.), has a three star rating by Medicare. I expected better from a company that has AARP approval. A three star rating is average, and I don't think that is good enough to carry the AARP logo. My experience with United Health Rx plan is  not a good one. As an example I will use their tier system. Tier 1 is where most affordable drugs are located, tier 5 being the most costly for consumers. I take an eyedrop for glaucoma that in 2010 was a tier one drug. In 2011 it was moved to tier 2. In 2012 it will be located on tier 3.  The cost to me increasing with each step upward. I searched their newly issued Abridged Formulary and found 17 tier 1 drugs in 31 pages of listed drugs!   Medicare informed members that there would be no drug coverage increases this year, yet United Health informed me my premium will increase by $5. per month in 2012. Also, I keep track of the benefit statements that I receive, and have noted that in the "what you paid" column the amounts are steadily increasing, and in the "paid by your provider" the amount is always $0.0. That is right: nothing! They just move my prescription to a highter tier that prevents them from paying while I pay co-pay as well as a monthly premium. Why? Can anyone tell me how to registera complaint with AARP, and request that they pull their logo from this not so beneficial to their members insurance provider?
Posted by eMBe

Info Seeker

Message 17 of 29
Since January 1st. I have been trying to get online pricimg from OptumRX. Despite repeted phone calls and online messaging on their website, There is still no information except incorrect pricing from a local pharmacy. All I get are excuses and meaningless excuses thet they are working on it. Recent phone calls to customer to get the copay and cost of a medication led to three different prices. This is totally unacceptable.

this is the latest reply -

Thank you for contacting www.OptumRx.com. We are aware that you are experiencing technical problems, and our technicians are working to resolve the problem as quickly as possible.  The lack of service you received is unusual and not the standard of our company. We apologize for the inconvenience and we hope that you will give us another chance to serve you.

If you have any further questions, please reply to this message by clicking the Reply button above.

On the basis that at this rate the problem will not be solved this year I have a question.My question- Is this a breach of Medicare rules and does it warrant a downgrade of the service such that I can change to a different Insurance? If not can someone at AARP take immediate action to get whoverver is responsible to get external IT experts to solve the problem?
Conversationalist

Message 18 of 29
There are many people dissapointed and shocked by the lack of appropriate prescription drug coverage offered under medicare Part D.  Fortunately there is help.  While helping a lvoed one obtain her prescription drug we stumbled across a method to obtain prescription drugs at almost no cost.  Utilizing what we learned, we formed a company to help others in the same situation.  In most cases for just $45.00 per month we can obtain ALL of your prescription drugs at no additional cost.   Please visit  www.redemedllc.comor call 888-963-9605 to learn more about our prescription drug assistance program and how we can help you today!
Conversationalist

Message 19 of 29

I am just beginning AARP Medicare Rx Plan D. I understand all the gripes and problems posted above, but I am almost
certain that AARP and United Healthcare are going to rate among the best you can find, unless you have lots of money to spend and then the service is most likely not going to be any better with another group.  The state of Texas uses United Healthcare and AARP has a good name recognition and is respected by all classes of people, rich or poor.
Conversationalist

Message 20 of 29
In Response to Re: Dissappointed with AARP's Medicare Rx Plan D provided by United Healthcare Insurance. : when
Posted by jim430945

Nearly 45 million Americans are uninsured. That is over 15 percent of the population. (Americans for Healthcare).

18.5% of Florida’s population, over 3 million people, is uninsured. (Research Institute on Social Economic Policy).

Uninsured patients are at a risk of preventable illnesses.

The state of Florida has found that uninsured children are more likely to miss school. (AMSA Feb 2008)

30.5% of individuals in families with income under $25,000 per year in the state of Florida are uninsured. ( Research Institute on Social and Economic Policy)

31.3% of Hispanics and 24.4% of African Americans in the state of Florida are uninsured. ( Research Institute on Social and Economic Policy)

31.3% of part-time workers in the state of Florida are uninsured. ( Research Institute on Social and Economic Policy)

Almost every pharmaceutical and drug manufacturer has a prescription assistance program and these programs give away approximately $4 million a year in free medications. Patients must financially qualify for these programs. Paperwork, guidelines, requirements and documentation are very important, change constantly and can be confusing. RedeMed Prescription Assistance Program is here to assist patients in getting through these requirements. We have access to a current database with all updated forms from each pharmaceutical company. We can tell you immediately if your medication is on a pharmaceutical company’s prescription assistance program. RedeMed's Prescription Assistance Program lets you know what documents are necessary for a particular pharmaceutical company’s program and mails the applications and documents for you. If a particular medication is not covered under one of the programs, we will refer you to the several organizations that offer prescription discount cards or reduced cost medication.

For help and assistance with prescription medications please contact: RedeMed at 888-963-9605  www.redemedllc.com