Free Caregiving Webinar: Managing Your Loved One’s Finances - Tuesday at 7p.m. ET  Register Now

Info Seeker

Re: Dissappointed with AARP's Medicare Rx Plan D provided by United Healthcare Insurance.

Message 1 of 29 (116 Views)

This is an older thread but I just checked the 2018 premiums/etc.  for the UHC AARP Medicare Rx Plan D.   The premium for the SuperSaver is going up from 32.80 to 45.50 - and they have removed my Glaucoma drops from the formulary.    Total drug costs for me will increase significantly.  bye, bye AARP..

Info Seeker

Re: Dissappointed with AARP's Medicare Rx Plan D provided by United Healthcare Insurance.

Message 2 of 29 (1,469 Views)
I also have the same problem getting run around by all the changes this year. I was using CIGNA Health Spring. The $100 a month plan. Witch covered most of the drugs. Then they told me that this plan was not offered in 2016. So it made me mad. So i went to AARP/ United health care. The best plan they offer and come to find out. Like everyone said they moved a lot of drugs from tier 1 to tier 2 & 3..I was paying $1or $2 a piece. Now it's $15 or $45. Someone better get to the bottom of this scam and stop it. Come on AARP step up to the plate...............
Recognized Social Butterfly

[ Edited ]
Message 3 of 29 (2,092 Views)

jr62724677 wrote:

1. I neve have seen asite that was so diffcult to log on to I have had more trouble with loging on too.Why must it be so hard I am disappointed .

eMBe wrote:
I am so disheartened to discover that my Medicare Plan D Rx insurance that carry the AARP logo and is provided by United Healthcare Insurance Co., (for which AARP receive a royalty payment from United Health.), has a three star rating by Medicare. I expected better from a company that has AARP approval. 2. A three star rating is average, and I don't think that is good enough to carry the AARP logo. My experience with United Health Rx plan is  not a good one. As an example I will use their tier system. Tier 1 is where most affordable drugs are located, tier 5 being the most costly for consumers. I take an eyedrop for glaucoma that in 2010 was a tier one drug. In 2011 it was moved to tier 2. In 2012 it will be located on tier 3.  The cost to me increasing with each step upward. I searched their newly issued Abridged Formulary and found 17 tier 1 drugs in 31 pages of listed drugs!   3. Medicare informed members that there would be no drug coverage increases this year, yet United Health informed me my premium will increase by $5. per month in 2012. Also, I keep track of the benefit statements that I receive, and have noted that in the "what you paid" column the amounts are steadily increasing, and in the "paid by your provider" 4. the amount is always $0.0. That is right: nothing! They just move my prescription to a highter tier that prevents them from paying while I pay co-pay as well as a monthly premium. Why?

1. I am not sure if jr6... is making a complaint about the AARP blog or the Medicare Plan Finder where you first go to look at possilbe Part D plans. If the latter, make sure you write down your "passdate" right after you start. That way you do not have to keep entering your drug list over and over. It is still hard to use but that makes it a little easier

2. Pretty much ignore the rating system for both Part C and Part D. The way the ratings are arrived at does not take into account what we -- the users -- think

3. Pay no attention to Medicare press releases (which will start again soon) that say something like "on average" premiums for Part C or Part D did not go up. The insurers and the government play a game where new low-cost plans are introduced each year but that have high co-pays or other "features" that discourage their usage. That game lets the government and the insurers claim that on average premiums stayed the same but meanwhile the premiums for the plan you have and like keeps going up year after year (but don't pretend they shouldn't go up either; this is life)

4. The notice that the plan paid nothing for a drug on your monthly Part D notice of benefit document just means that the insurer and pharmacy (typically a preferred pharmacy to that insurer) had already agreed on a price. It does not mean you are getting a bad deal. It typically applies to generic statins and beta blockers and the like that you could also just walk in and buy for $10 for 90 days. What really matters is what happens to the $200 glaucoma drops mentioned elsewhere in string.

5. Remember if you do not like your AARP or any other Part D plan and are on Social Security Extra Help (20% of us are or qualify), you can leave that plan and join another with a few days notice effective the first of the next month. You do not have to wait for Open Enrollment. If you are on a state pharamaceutical assistance program (not all states have them but more than half the people on Medicare across the country either are on one or qualify), you can switch plans once a year in addition to during Open Enrollment.

Info Seeker

Message 4 of 29 (2,099 Views)

I neve have seen asite that was so diffcult to log on to I have had more trouble with loging on too.Why must it be so hard I am disappointed .

eMBe wrote:
I am so disheartened to discover that my Medicare Plan D Rx insurance that carry the AARP logo and is provided by United Healthcare Insurance Co., (for which AARP receive a royalty payment from United Health.), has a three star rating by Medicare. I expected better from a company that has AARP approval. A three star rating is average, and I don't think that is good enough to carry the AARP logo. My experience with United Health Rx plan is  not a good one. As an example I will use their tier system. Tier 1 is where most affordable drugs are located, tier 5 being the most costly for consumers. I take an eyedrop for glaucoma that in 2010 was a tier one drug. In 2011 it was moved to tier 2. In 2012 it will be located on tier 3.  The cost to me increasing with each step upward. I searched their newly issued Abridged Formulary and found 17 tier 1 drugs in 31 pages of listed drugs!   Medicare informed members that there would be no drug coverage increases this year, yet United Health informed me my premium will increase by $5. per month in 2012. Also, I keep track of the benefit statements that I receive, and have noted that in the "what you paid" column the amounts are steadily increasing, and in the "paid by your provider" the amount is always $0.0. That is right: nothing! They just move my prescription to a highter tier that prevents them from paying while I pay co-pay as well as a monthly premium. Why?

Can anyone tell me how to registera complaint with AARP, and request that they pull their logo from this not so beneficial to their members insurance provider?

Valued Social Butterfly

Message 5 of 29 (3,409 Views)
as someone who is presently navigating thru all the options prior to going on Medicare June 1st my observation about the AARP-endorsement of U.H.C. is this: This insur. company is the one that offered the most $$$ (monthly royalties) to AARP. It is not that U.H.C. is a superior company offering superior products or service; nope, they just had deeper pockets and that is why the hookup with AARP. If anyone here has any evidence to the contrary, I would love to hear it. (As for the AARP-United Health Care Plan D coverages offered in my area of Maryland it didn't take me long to take a quick pass on both. WellCare offered almost identical plans (as far as formulary and Tier 1, 2 & 3 co-payments) with -0- annual deductible and a monthly premium $20 less than AARP-United Health Care Rx.
Info Seeker

Message 6 of 29 (3,428 Views)
We found the United Healthcare program endorsed by AARP to be a total waste of premium and a scam. We paid in $1800.00 for our plan myself and spouse. They paid back on my wife .65 cents over a 10 month time, she paid $450.00 out of pocket. On my coverage they paid $5.00 I paid $500.00 out of pocket.. 

They manipulated the tier of drugs covered and even removed my medications from the formulary right after we signed up. 

Then after we canceled the program they called and wrote makeing threats to turn us in for collection for the unearned premiums.

Never will I buy another United Healthcare product nor a AARP endorsed medical program.

We paid out $2750.00 in premium and deductables and received a benifit of $5.65 - I also had to go without some of my medications for 6 months because they removed them from the formulary.

Conversationalist

The loss ratio calculation

Message 7 of 29 (3,428 Views)
While I understand how the insurance companies calculate premiums per area, that doesn't make it right. Just another example of insurance company greed! United health care is one company with one national headquarter location that services the whole U.S. Premiums should not be calculated based on where one lives, just like car insurance based on where you live. There has to be a better mor fair way to do this.....united health is making millions in profits.
Silver Conversationalist

Message 8 of 29 (3,428 Views)
In Response to Re: Dissappointed with AARP's Medicare Rx Plan D provided by United Healthcare Insurance.:
I too am very disappointed with OptumRX. I have been quoted 3 different prices for the same order and have talked to several people each day, they usually call me, about this proplem. I am in the donut hole and understand I have to pay a lot more but quoted prices of $767, and one thousand plus and $1276 for the same order. I am not only thinking of changing the Insurance but I have lost all confidence in AARP and  may drop my membership after 21 years. The Optum company has the worst systems I have ever experienced and my advice for the many good people that work there is to start looking for a job with a real company. The order was received on the 21 of September and this is the 26 with no resolution in site. My other option is Canada. They will supply the name brand drug instead of the generic for a price lower than the lowest quote from Optium. Will have to get a new prescription.I have been out of the drug for a week.United Healthcare was rated a #2 in Consumers Reports for NJ with 5 being the best and 3 being average.

If anyone that is near a COSTCO RX. Get a a quote there before giving up. Has anyone not noticed the formmulary shrinking. Do not stand for it. Ask for a tier exception. Your Doctor needs to fill the forms. By the rules of medicare they must do this BUT you must ask for it, A generic drug carispoodal aka Soma. They want 46 bucks for this now, COSTCO PRICE 14.00 BUCKS. They are doing this with other common drugs too.
Info Seeker

Message 9 of 29 (3,428 Views)
I too am very disappointed with OptumRX. I have been quoted 3 different prices for the same order and have talked to several people each day, they usually call me, about this proplem. I am in the donut hole and understand I have to pay a lot more but quoted prices of $767, and one thousand plus and $1276 for the same order. I am not only thinking of changing the Insurance but I have lost all confidence in AARP and  may drop my membership after 21 years. The Optum company has the worst systems I have ever experienced and my advice for the many good people that work there is to start looking for a job with a real company. The order was received on the 21 of September and this is the 26 with no resolution in site. My other option is Canada. They will supply the name brand drug instead of the generic for a price lower than the lowest quote from Optium. Will have to get a new prescription.I have been out of the drug for a week.United Healthcare was rated a #2 in Consumers Reports for NJ with 5 being the best and 3 being average.
Info Seeker

Message 10 of 29 (3,870 Views)
I have had nothing but disappointment with the AARP United Healthcare Drug plan AND their entire health plan.  I can assure you I will not be selecting this company next year.  They made me wait for an anticoagulant that I needed until the doctor appealed the pre-authorization because she called it in on a Friday afternoon and they counted the weekend in the 72 hour approval.  They'd rather I died from a blood clot.  Their online OptimRx is terrible. The doctor cannot electronically submit a prescription (did someone forget to tell them it was 2013?) 

Their website is difficult to navigate (and I'm a computer power user) and their Customer Service knows nothing about 'features' that are mentioned on the site.

I cannot open my personal health record because it tells me that there is a systems error. I'm now on hold with their web tech support and I've been on hold for 25 minutes.  I intend to write a full complaint to this company and to let Medicare know how awful they are.

Bottom line, do yourself a big favor and DO NOT join this plaln