Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

Community Rated vs Attained Age Rated Supplement Policies

Community Rated vs Attained Age Rated Supplement Policies

I am covered now by an Attained Age supplement (Mutual of Omaha) in the State of Michigan.  AARP/UHC has accepted me for a policy to begin 1/1/2001 at an annual savings of about $450 to the existing policy.  While UHC is called community rated the presence of the discount for younger users may make it behave more like an attained age product, maybe even higher increases initially than an attained age product.  I am looking for a comment on that.  Also, I am concerned about negative customer service ratings for UHC as the experience with MOO has been good.  Also, I have read that AAPR is easier to get into, medically, than others.  Gets to the ease of moving back at some point if needed.

I did get off to a bad start with UHC.  They accepted my application, immediately debited my first months premium almost two months before the policy was to begin in violation of when they told me the debit was to begin.  I have disputed that charge with my bank.  It's hard for me to believe this was a mistake and this action causes me concern.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

somarco or somebody else may be more able to help you with how premiums and discounts work - but I think you may have to give a bit more info.

1.  Are you changing plans as well as insurers or just changing insurers?  Purely for premium reduction? 

2.  Are you getting the (declining) discount with UHC?

3.  Are you being up-rated with UHC because of any pre-existing conditions cause I am assuming that you don't have guaranteed issue rights - Do you in Michigan cause some GI rights to switch maybe state specific?

Just want to see if this is an apples-to-apples comparison or not.

I have only "heard" that community rating is usually the lowest - but seems to me, that is gonna depend on the health and wellness of "the community" batch.  They may pull in a lot of new (usually healthier) enrollees since there is more publicizing with the AARP name (and royalties) - maybe.  Suppose to be an AARP member for one of these branded Medigap plans - but not for a Med. Adv. branded plan.

Medicare.gov - Cost of Medigap Policies 

Don't cancel your other policy until you know that you have the new policy in hand and you do want it - you should have a 30 day look see period course then you have to get your paid premiums back from the one that you decide you don't want.

Medicare.gov - Switching Medigap Policies 

It's Always Something . . . . Roseanna Roseannadanna
0 Kudos

Unlike some who post here I know how to do an apples to apples comparison.  Plan G to Plan G.  Yes my discount  starts at 36% at age 69.  The only difference in the policies is that my existing rate is for a nonsmoker and the new quote is for a smoker.  That makes the UHC look even better.  No special rules for MI that I am aware of.  No uprating that I can see but that is not an impediment to a good comparison. I am happy with the current plan except for cost and the last premium increase of 22%.  I realize that UHC with the burnoff of the discount plus loss history will have some pretty steep increases as well but $450 for me and maybe $300 for my spouse adds up.  Thanks.

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

Boy - this is one that would keep me up at night - The smoking thing adds another cost to the UHC choice.  Sorry, I don't know if they can signal this out from year to year adding even more to the community rating increase.

I assume that you got the MOO Medigap plan when you were under the Medigap Initial Enrollment period and that is why there is no added premiums for smoking.

But now you are getting hit with the smoking additional prem. with the new plan. 

Under the new plan it would be considered a health condition; thus they can add more for this.  That's the way that I understand that Medigap works in most states.

Would you (and hubby) happen to qualify for the Michigan Medigap Subsidy 

NOTE:  The program will end when the funds are gone. We expect that to happen at the end of the 2022 or early in 2023.

We will not accept new applications after January 15, 2021.

Because the program will end, we will not accept new applications or missing proof of documents after January 15, 2021. This will help to make sure you receive your subsidy for the next two years.

I wish I could help you more - Good Luck with the decision.

It's Always Something . . . . Roseanna Roseannadanna
0 Kudos

Thanks Gail.  I believe the smoking puts me in a different pool, one which will likely have higher increases over time.  Hadn't really thought of that, so thanks again.  Thanks again.

0 Kudos
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Block Champ and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP