Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

Changing AARP / UHC Supplemental (Medigap) Plans with No Underwriting

Honored Social Butterfly

Changing AARP / UHC Supplemental (Medigap) Plans with No Underwriting

I understand from reading a few posters here that UHC allows people to switch their AARP /UHC supplemental plans without underwriting.  Is this correct?

I am asking because a friend of mine was trying to switch her mother from an old Plan I (this is an old plan, not offered since 2010) to a Plan N and they told her that IF the plan was not "modern" then there would be underwriting.

So I am just mentioning this here to see if anybody has had any experience with this because I know several others who are considering switching their AARP/UHC Plan F after 2020 if rates start to go up somewhat drastically or if they just want to change.  BUT IF this is the case about the underwriting, they may want to consider earlier.

?????????????????

It's Always Something . . . . Roseanna Roseannadanna
0 Kudos
Contributor

Okay. I just changed from AARP Plan F to G. Not a problem as long as you are within 3 years of your original signup at 65. No underwritting. Now if you are older, I think that the same AARP rules apply as if you are signing up for a new plan: answering health questions for those within 6 years of 65 to determine rates, and for those more than 6 years from 65 full underwritting with higher rates almost certain making change likely prohibitive for most.

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

@JohnL900627 wrote:

Okay. I just changed from AARP Plan F to G. Not a problem as long as you are within 3 years of your original signup at 65. No underwritting. Now if you are older, I think that the same AARP rules apply as if you are signing up for a new plan: answering health questions for those within 6 years of 65 to determine rates, and for those more than 6 years from 65 full underwritting with higher rates almost certain making change likely prohibitive for most.

Everybody needs to understand the rules of coverage of Medigap (Medicare Supplemental) plans.  It is GAP insurance, nothing more, nothing less - the beneficiary picks and pays for the amount of GAP coverage they want based on their alphabet plan choice.

Medigap coverage is an OPTIONAL coverage - it is NOT mandated by CMS (Medicare).  It is PRIVATE insurance coverage - gap coverage.  

CMS (Medicare) makes the rules as to the various plan coverage. They also make the rules as to when guaranteed issue is applicable or not.  They set down a few ways which the insurance companies can rate (assign premiums).  Community-rated, Age-rated, and Attained Age.  Unless your state limited these manors of rating to a particular type, then an insurance can use their choice to come up with your premiums - And Yes, there is a big difference between them in premium cost.  

Since this PRIVATE insurance, a state can make further rules.  Example is the "birthday rule" in California as to when a beneficiary can change plans. There are other state rules - state specific.

Pay attention and know how all these things work when you are selecting a Medigap plan.  Especially when you are comparing one insurer to anothe for the same Medigap plan.  

And bear in mind, that the ONLY thing that you are assured of with a Medigap coverage is the amount of the GAP coverage you are getting with the plan selected. 

There are NO other benefits that have to be covered - any that might be offered is purely a marketing enhancement and can be taken away with the bat of an eye.

It is up to the insurance company to underwrite or not when changing insurers or even changing to a more lucrative plan.  Not the broker, the insurance company because the insurance company has the final say.

Do not cancel your old policy until you have the new one - signed, sealed and delivered and you know your coverage and premium.  Do this even if yu have to pay premiums on both policies for a month because that is the only way you can get the old one back if there is any problem.  I have already posted the Medicare rule about this 30 day look-see period.

i just don't want anybody here to get screwed by not understanding the rules.

Federal and State rules.

It's Always Something . . . . Roseanna Roseannadanna
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Atari Centipede® and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP