Take the AARP Smart Driver course and you could save on auto insurance! Sign up today.

Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: Changing AARP / UHC Supplemental (Medigap) Plans with No Underwriting

Message 1 of 20

@MichaelO968701 I thought there were non-solicitation rules for posting on this forum.

Guess I was mistaken.

Bark less. Wag more.
Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 2 of 20

If you are looking to change the Medicare plan to cover the medical expenses for your health problem then The Health exchange Agency is the best option. I heard about it, the company guides you with the whole process of changing or taking the other health insurance plan. There are different health insurance plans available like Mutual of Omaha health insurance, Medigap plan G, Mutual of Omaha medicare and more. Take which one suits your reqirement.

Kudos
Views
Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 3 of 20

@JohnL900627 wrote:

In my experience, which dates some 25 years from managing my parents as well as my own affairs, AARP/UHC has somewhat more expensive premiums, but they prevail in popularity because they pay right up to the end without all the arm wrestling and hoops that many of the other providers present with claims.

Bottom line: Don't just assume that all plan G plans for example are the same just because it looks that way on paper. Look at the satisfaction and complaint rankings that most states tabulate for providers within their states.

As mentioned in another reply, there is "NO ARM WRESTLING" when dealing with a Medigap carrier. They pay claims and pay on a timely basis. There is no second adjudication process. None.

Consumer complaints about Medigap almost always regard renewal rate increases. Not claims. Not provider acceptance.

Most of those complaints could have been avoided if the consumer had done proper research on something OTHER THAN a consumer forum. 

It is rare when consumers have something GOOD to say about a carrier but COMPLAINTS roll in like thunder

Bark less. Wag more.
Kudos
Views
Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 4 of 20

Providers have up to 12 months to file a claim with Medicare.

Patient see's provider.

Provider files with original Medicare.

Medicare adjudicates the claim and either approves or denies.

If approved, the claim is transmitted electronically via crossover to (most) Medigap carriers. Since the claim is pre-approved, there is no second guessing. No hassle. They pay their portion, usually in 5 business days or less once received from Medicare.

People who claim their doctor will not accept their Medigap plan, or say a particular supplement carrier does not pay claims, are most likely referring to an Advantage plan.

If Medicare denies the claim is never sent to the supplement carrier so nothing is paid by them either. The patient owes nothing unless they signed an Advance Beneficiary Notification form.

Quite often choosing a Medigap carrier is based on name recognition more than anything else. Rate stability over the long haul is a better criteria than picking a carrier because you know their name.

Bark less. Wag more.
Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 5 of 20

@JohnL900627 wrote:

For readers: Here is an interesting market share breakdown of the top medicare supplement insurance providers:

1. UnitedHealth Care — 34%
  2. Mutual of Omaha — 10%
  3. HSCS — 5%
  4. Anthem — 5%
  5. Aetna — 4%
  6. CNO Financial — 3%
  7. Cigna — 2%
  8. Humana Group — 2%
  9. BCBS of MA — 2%
  10. BCBS of MI Group — 1%
  11. Others — 32% (Comprises 4.06 million enrollees)

In my experience, which dates some 25 years from managing my parents as well as my own affairs, AARP/UHC has somewhat more expensive premiums, but they prevail in popularity because they pay right up to the end without all the arm wrestling and hoops that many of the other providers present with claims.

Bottom line: Don't just assume that all plan G plans for example are the same just because it looks that way on paper. Look at the satisfaction and complaint rankings that most states tabulate for providers within their states.

Where did you get your data and how resent is it?

Your above statement is confusing - what a specific Medigap plan is suppose to pay is set in stone - there isn't a lot of leeway with the design - IF Medicare pays, they are suppose to pick up their part.

That is a far cry from the actual caliber of an insurance company - as we can see from all the different ones working in any field of insurance.

I find it hard to research on a mobile device, which I am on now, but I am pretty sure that CMS only gives Medigap plan insurers a specific amount of time to pay once Medicare pays and forwards the remaining claim to them.

Yes, everybody that is considering any sort of an Insurace product should make sure that the insurer is and stays on solid financial ground and works as agreed.

* * * * It's Always Something . . . Roseanne Roseannadanna
Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 6 of 20

For readers: Here is an interesting market share breakdown of the top medicare supplement insurance providers:

1. UnitedHealth Care — 34%
  2. Mutual of Omaha — 10%
  3. HSCS — 5%
  4. Anthem — 5%
  5. Aetna — 4%
  6. CNO Financial — 3%
  7. Cigna — 2%
  8. Humana Group — 2%
  9. BCBS of MA — 2%
  10. BCBS of MI Group — 1%
  11. Others — 32% (Comprises 4.06 million enrollees)

Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 7 of 20

Great clarification, Thanks. I might add for other readers that joining AARP is not at all expensive and has many other benefits.

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 8 of 20

@JohnL900627 wrote:

I live in Missouri and it is Not a community rated state?

The respected resource link below may clear up some of the confusion on MediGap Plans:

www.kff.org/medicare/issue-brief/medigap-enrollment-and-consumer-protections-vary-across-states/

The AARP/United Heathcare Medigap plans are issued as GROUP coverage in most every state - that the reason why they are (most) all community rated.

In your state of Missouri - UHC issues NO individual Medigap plans - they all have to be the AARP/UHC brand and thus membership in AARP is required to participate in this group.

Ths is the Mo. Guide dated 09/2018.

https://insurance.mo.gov/seniors/documents/MedigapRateGuide_000.pdf

The KFF link which you provided also states this when talking about the rating methods:

The remaining 38 states and the District of Columbia do not require premiums to be community rated; therefore, Medigap premiums in these states may be subject to issue-age and attained-age rating systems, depending on state regulation. Medigap insurers are permitted to offer community rated policies in these states, but most do not.

* * * * It's Always Something . . . Roseanne Roseannadanna
Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 9 of 20

Unlike most Medigap insurers, who set premiums based on your current age (attained-age rating) or your age when you first buy the policy (issue-age), AARP/UnitedHealthcare uses community rating in most states except very few like Florida.

Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 10 of 20

I live in Missouri and it is Not a community rated state?

The respected resource link below may clear up some of the confusion on MediGap Plans:

www.kff.org/medicare/issue-brief/medigap-enrollment-and-consumer-protections-vary-across-states/

Kudos
Views
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

Have you taken a memorable trip to a destination others should know about? Post a Trip Report

city skyline captured on tablet