You could save on auto insurance when you complete the AARP Safe Driving course! Use code BELLS to save 25 percent now.

Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: Changes Coming To Medicare?

Message 31 of 41

ReTiReD51 wrote:

“Our policy would begin in fiscal year 2020. It would combine Medicare Parts A and B and would have a unified deductible. For example, rather than require the $1,288 deductible for a hospital stay and a separate $166 deductible for a physician visit, the beneficiary would be charged a combined deductible.”

Also, according Ryan, all Medicare Supplemental policies will be required to have a deductible. This is because Ryan says us older folks are going to the doctor too often, and when it's not really necessary. The deductibles will ensure that we go only if we absolutely must, or if we can afford it. 

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 32 of 41

I absolutely agree with you. I will make sure I vote against any politician who votes to steal our hard-earned benefits whether it be social security or medicare. Congress made a social contract with the American people a long time ago and now when it's a bit inconvenient for their wealthy contributors they want to change the deal. I hope all seniors remember this for the 2018 mid-term elections and punish these malefactors as they deserve.

Kudos
Views
Bronze Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 33 of 41
I agree sclelan. I read a blog the other day I thought was funny yet true to this "idea" that SS is an entitlement. The blogger said, he wrote a letter to Paul Ryan that said something like this; "Dear Mr. Ryan thank you making it clear that SS, and Medicare are entitlement programs. Then I like to request a refund check of the 40+ Years I've paying into this program. I was completely confused that these were programs "I" was paying for. Thank you and I expect my refund check immediately." This humorous letter says. I'm sorry I have no grace for Republicans in Congress or Senate who seem to vote against he American people, they tried it with ACA, now they're doing it with this Tax Scam. Let's call it the Trump Scam Plan. And Trump benefits to the tune of 20Million dollars. I feel so sorry for him, don't you folks out there in reitree land???
Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 34 of 41

Paul Ryan’s plan sounds like a lot of smoke and mirrors...no surprise!!  I’m weary of the Republican-speak cover for what their agenda really is...call Medicare and Social Security “entitlements “ to shame people into feeling they’re living off public dollars when, in fact, those programs are ones working people have earned!!!  I’d prefer if an honest politician would just say, straight up, our platform is to redirect as much wealth as possible to the wealthy.  And, if our plans to do that increase the national debt, which they definitely will, we can always fix it by raiding those “entitlement “ programs.  I’m most surprised by working folks who still believe the Republicans have their best interests at heart.  Rise up, Baby Boomers!!  And don’t let them shame you for being that, too!!!

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 35 of 41
Changes Coming to Medicare Message 5 of 6
Medicare and SS are not entitlements nor are they entitlement reforms. Start with the corporations and 1% to look for major spending cuts!!!
Kudos
Views
Bronze Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 36 of 41

I am unsure why I can't "KUDO" this comment.  Could it be because the AARP is so left wing?!

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 37 of 41

Why aren't the news medias getting the story out and confronting Paul Ryan who benefited from Social Security, growing up, which is perfectly alright. But he wants kill it for others. Is this another case of "I got mine", "too bad you can't have yours" from folks who were fortunate to have Social Security benefits in times of need?

These are not "entitlements", it is a type of insurance. People paid into this, expecting benefits when needed. This double speak, which we seem to let slip by, allows these well off elected officials to get away with hurting folks. If we do not speak up and demand the media get good explainations out there this Congress will ruin it for all in need. Just thinks of the kids that need CHIPS.

Kudos
Views
Frequent Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 38 of 41

What is especially frustrating to me is that SS and Medicare are not and were not supposed to be part of the general finances and as such each is a separate tax.  These programs SHOULD not be touched, but instead fixed and they can be fixed so that they are sustainable.  Again, we've got to get people in office who are going to do this for one of the most vulnerable groups in the country. 

Kudos
Views
Frequent Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 39 of 41

Does this really surprise anyone?  The Republicans have been preaching this for years and years.  I blame the people who would not listen to reason when the majority of us told them it was a big CON.  Who's also to blame is those individuals who are seniors on SS, etc. who helped vote this jerk into office along with the rest of the RepubliCONS.  Not sure what we can do about it.  Paul Ryan forgets that he grew up on SS benefits.  I'm ready to join buses to Washington DC if need be.  Call you Senators, call your Congressmen and start telling them to treat you like a human being and then vote the Republicans out of office come next year.

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Gold Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 40 of 41
On 12/6 Ryan said in a speech: House Speaker Paul Ryan (R-Wis.) on Wednesday said House Republicans will aim to cut spending on Medicare, Medicaid and welfare programs next year as a way to trim the federal deficit.

“We’re going to have to get back next year at entitlement reform, which is how you tackle the debt and the deficit,” Ryan said during an interview on Ross Kaminsky's talk radio show.
Kudos
Views