ACA Open Enrollment Ends Dec. 15. Review Your Options Before Being Locked in for 2018. Read More

Highlighted
Info Seeker

Re: Can I get AARP discounts at the YMCA?

Message 1 of 16

I am on Medicare & AARP/United Healthcare Plan 2. Both the basic plan and plan 2 give an individual free membership to the YMCA/YWCA. Does not include spouse or family. Plus you actually need to be using it. Why pay for it if you are not taking advantage of the opportunity!

-Pat

Report Inappropriate Content
Valued Social Butterfly

Message 2 of 16

Indianrock wrote:

I definitely wouldn't choose my medigap plan based on the Silver Sneakers benefit, but it was still a disappointment since I thought the reason it was offered was because it saved the insurance company money  ( healthier clients making fewer claims )

As I hope you know that all Medigap plans distinguished by the alphabet letter,

havento have the same benefits as defined by Medicare.  So a plan A offered by insurance company #1 is exactly the same in standard benefit design as Insurance company # 2.

So to charge more or to get your business an insurance company may offer some other things which would entice you to do business with them and not the other guy.

Medicare Advantage plans compete with other Medicare Advantage plans in their benefit design which can include a lot of things - their only over all charge is that they have to cover everything that Traditinal Medicare covers but just in a different way.

Medigap plans are only supplemental plans - traditional Medicare makes the rules as to what is covered.  Gym and fitness is not covered and even physical therapy has a dollar limit unless it is justified for more therapy.

Beginning soon there is an effort by Medicare to help those who might have a tendency for diabetes type 2 - the program will cover some weight reduction type fitness.

Medicare Advantage plans are more in the policy design of promoting something which might save them health care money.  That is why all those seniors down in Boca just love their Medicare Advantage HMO - 

Medicare Comes with White Glove Treatment - KHN 11/2013

Yes, you do need to pick your option based on yourself.

Gold Conversationalist

Message 3 of 16

I definitely wouldn't choose my medigap plan based on the Silver Sneakers benefit, but it was still a disappointment since I thought the reason it was offered was because it saved the insurance company money  ( healthier clients making fewer claims )

Randy
Valued Social Butterfly

Message 4 of 16

According to Tivity Health, the actual owner of the Silver Sneakers program, these are some of the Insurance plans that either had or have the benefit - some of these are Medicare Advantage plans.  

However, before getting insurance with this as your main reason, make sure this benefit is within the policy which you are purchasing. 

NOTE that a Medicare Advantage plan is renewed each year so this extra benefit could be cancelled after any given year.

As differentiated from a Medigap plan ( Medicare Supplemental plan ) which you buy until you cancel - this benefit has to be specified in the plan which you are purchasing for you to be grandfathered into this benefit.

SilverSneakers ( from Tivity Health ) Medicare Health Plan Providers

Valued Social Butterfly

Message 5 of 16

Indianrock wrote:

United Health Care just confirmed they do not offer Silver Sneakers in Washington state, or at least in my area.   I'll have to think it over and decide if it's worth looking into different insurance next year.

It seems just from what I am reading here that the Silver Sneakers added benefit which was once offered via the AARP UHC Supplemental plans is no longer offered - anywhere, in any state.

Those who purchased an AARP UHC Supplemental plan when the additional benefit was offered still have it available because they are grandfathered to that plan and its specifics at the time.

Silver Sneakers is a product from Tivity Health - you might contact them and see what, if any, Medicare plans now being sold contain the additional benefit.

However, if you are considering changing from one Medigap carrier to another Medigap carrier - make sure you know your states rules on pre existing conditon coverage, if that makes a difference to you - some states have a waiting period for coverage.  Also some states may permit use of medical underwriting if purchasing a Medigap policy outside of the open enrollment or special enrollment period.

Valued Social Butterfly

Message 6 of 16

sh505 wrote:

Yes, I believe its the supplemental insurance. Not very expensive. Many programs sponsor Silver Sneakers. I am an instructor for this program at our Y. You can check any insurance also to see if they will honor them. Our list is growing every day. https://tools.silversneakers.com/Eligibility/CheckEligibility This link may assist some. Also the link to the AARP insurance that offers Silver Sneakers. https://www.aarpmedicaresupplement.com/medicare-insurance/medicare-information-guide  Hope that helps? Thank you!

Your 2nd link had been removed 

https://www.aarpmedicaresupplement.com/medicare-insurance/medicare-information-guide%C2%A0

It gives a 404 Page Not Found.

Are you sure that the folks that are currently receiving this AARP UHC Supplemental plan Silver Sneakers program additional benefit aren't the ones that have been grandfathered in because of when the purchased their policy?

It does not appear that it is offered anymore with newly purchased AARP UHC Supplemental plans.

Gold Conversationalist

Message 7 of 16

United Health Care just confirmed they do not offer Silver Sneakers in Washington state, or at least in my area.   I'll have to think it over and decide if it's worth looking into different insurance next year.

Randy
Valued Social Butterfly

Message 8 of 16

ekekek wrote:

United Healthcare Supplemental (Plan F) does not offer the Silver Sneaker free membership at the YMCA in New York...there are other states that you can take advantage of this...not sure what the criteria is by state, but after numerous calls, I was told that it is not offered in NY.  

SilverSneakers is a product offered by Tivity Health.  Any insurance group plan can purchase it from them and offer it to their members.

According to this 

AARP SilverSneakers Program and Gym Location Details

the program is offered on selected plans.

From this link - which bears the AARP and the Medicare Supplement Plans by UHC emblem, it says:

As an insured member covered under an AARP® Medicare Supplement plan, you now have access to Tivity Health SilverSneakers® Fitness program at no additional cost to you. Designed for all levels and abilities, SilverSneakers provides access to fitness equipment, group exercise classes and more at 13,000+ locations nationwide." 

There have been a whole lots of post on this subject of availability of the SilverSneakers program. It seems very confusing and really should not be that way.

An AARP UHC Supplement plan is a AARP UHC Supplement plan - I am pretty sure that is on a national basis.  It would be an added benefit to all AARP UHC Supplemental plan since the actual required coverage of each of the plans is governed by Medicare.

Seems to me that AARP should explain this 

AARP United Healthcare Supplemental Health plans should explain this

If this benefit is not offered everywhere under this AARP UHC Supplemental plans - then somebodyn needs to CHANGE their advertising.

CHECK YOUR ELIGIBILITY IF YOU HAVE AN AARP- United Healthcare Medicare SUPPLEMENTAL plan at this link:

https://tools.silversneakers.com/Eligibility/CheckEligibility

It is not my fight since I don't have it.

Info Seeker

Message 9 of 16

United Healthcare Supplemental (Plan F) does not offer the Silver Sneaker free membership at the YMCA in New York...there are other states that you can take advantage of this...not sure what the criteria is by state, but after numerous calls, I was told that it is not offered in NY.  

Gold Conversationalist

Message 10 of 16

Our YMCA as many silver sneaker users, who get a free membership via their medigap policy.  I'm planning to do that and just signed up for a United Health Care AARP policy.  But, it looks like Silver Sneakers doesn't recognize you until the day the insurance becomes active.

https://tools.silversneakers.com/Eligibility/CheckEligibility

Randy