Attend AARP's Job Search in the Digital Age Online Workshop, Thursday at 7 p.m. ET. Register Now

Info Seeker

Re: Beware United Healthcare Billing

Message 11 of 13 (151 Views)

United Health Care billed me from a Symphonic plan I did not enroll in either.  Now they say I owe them $145 for the months before I finally realized they were billing me!  What can I do to report this and who to report it to?

Recognized Social Butterfly

Re: Beware United Healthcare Billing

Message 12 of 13 (1,435 Views)

seking wrote:

I had the misfortune of changing my UH plan at the end of 2015.  They changed me to a cheaper plan which is totally covered with my Medicare premium, but continued to bill me for the supplemental plan in addition to what they billed Medicare.  When I called to tell them that they are still billing m directly for the premium plan, they said that "you have to call to tell them that you have changed plans" so that they will cancel the old plan and that they "can only refund one month's premiums".  I caught this when they had billed me for two months.  These plans are all United Healthcare but they "don't have access to each other's systems."  Watch your billings carefully with UH.  I'll probably change out of UH in the next enrollment period.  This is just another version of fraud, trying to see if the elderly will catch them at billing for multiple insurances and if they do, denying refunds because, after all, it's our fault if we don't catch them at it..

You do not spell it out but it sounds like you previously had a United Healthcare Medigap plan and swithched to a United Healthcare zero-premium Medicare Advantage plan. If that is the case, it is illegal for someone that knows you have private Medigap insurance to sell you a public Medicare Advantage plan and vice versa. It is OK to facilitate a year end switch like you did though but the person you talked to at United Healthcare when you bought the new 2016 policy surely asked you what you were using in 2015, right? If so, United Healthcare is responsbile whether or not their computers talk to each other. Tell them you are reporting them to Medicare and I bet they'll send the other's month's premiums right along.

(At the beginning, you said "they changed you..." Do you mean without your permission? Did you initiate the whole process of switching plans or did they?)

Info Seeker

Beware United Healthcare Billing

Message 13 of 13 (1,456 Views)

I had the misfortune of changing my UH plan at the end of 2015.  They changed me to a cheaper plan which is totally covered with my Medicare premium, but continued to bill me for the supplemental plan in addition to what they billed Medicare.  When I called to tell them that they are still billing m directly for the premium plan, they said that "you have to call to tell them that you have changed plans" so that they will cancel the old plan and that they "can only refund one month's premiums".  I caught this when they had billed me for two months.  These plans are all United Healthcare but they "don't have access to each other's systems."  Watch your billings carefully with UH.  I'll probably change out of UH in the next enrollment period.  This is just another version of fraud, trying to see if the elderly will catch them at billing for multiple insurances and if they do, denying refunds because, after all, it's our fault if we don't catch them at it..