ACA Open Enrollment Ends Dec. 15. Review Your Options Before Being Locked in for 2018. Read More

Valued Social Butterfly

Re: Advantage plan or medigap

Message 11 of 19

j59483j wrote:

I echo to talk to a local expert. The system can be very confusing to navigate. There are experts out there than can provide you all of the comparison information you need.

Check out the plan outlines here - Broken down for easy understanding... 

https://medicaresupplementstation.com/medicare-supplement-plans/

I have a question for you. Are you selling these plans to people. From your support article it would seem so. If that is true you should not be on here doing that. Everyone should be warned when we someone selling on here. Do not buy the product.

Report Inappropriate Content
Conversationalist

Message 12 of 19

I echo to talk to a local expert. The system can be very confusing to navigate. There are experts out there than can provide you all of the comparison information you need.

Check out the plan outlines here - Broken down for easy understanding... 

https://medicaresupplementstation.com/medicare-supplement-plans/

Valued Social Butterfly

Message 13 of 19

How AARP recommends that you get local help with your Medicare questions:

AARP - Assistance and Issues in Choosing A Medicare Plan

Is there anyone I can go to for personal help in choosing a Medicare plan or to resolve other issues with Medicare — even if I have to pay for assistance?

State health insurance assistance programs (SHIPs) are valuable resources for anyone who needs help with Medicare or Medicaid issues. They provide one-on-one help from trained counselors, whose assistance comes free of charge and (just as importantly) free from sales pressure. SHIP counselors can help you consider your options in Medicare; identify the Medigap, Part D or Medicare Advantage plan that best meets your needs and preferences; check whether you qualify for programs that reduce your costs in Medicare (such as Medicare Savings Programs and Extra Help); and advise on other insurance issues, such as Medicaid, long-term care insurance and making appeals.

If English is not your first language, the SHIP can arrange for an interpreter or refer you to a local organization that offers similar counseling in your own language — also at no charge.

The SHIPs, which are jointly funded by the federal and state governments, are available in every state, the District of Columbia, Guam, Puerto Rico and the U.S. Virgin Islands. The programs have different names in some places (for example, HICAP in California, SHINE in Florida, SHIBA in Idaho).

To find the main toll-free phone number of your SHIP, go to www.shiptacenter.org and select your state.

OR you can go to the Medicare Contact page for SHIP and put in your state and it will give you their local contact info.

Medicare - Contact Info and websites of Organizations for Medicare

Recognized Social Butterfly

Message 14 of 19

You’re in “good health” and “take no prescriptions” now.
What do you think your health will be in 5 or 10 years?
The cost. What can you afford?
Medicare doesn’t cover everything. How much coverage will you need?
Do your homework learn what Medicare supplements and Medicare advantage plans are?
Talk to friends, talk to impartial Medicare experts.
Learn, only you know if it is right for you.

Valued Social Butterfly

Message 15 of 19

georgef926019 wrote:

I start medicare 10/1. I am in good health I think, take mo prescriptions but still can't decide on getting Medigap Plan F for long term peace of mind or go with a low or 0 premimum Advantage plan. Anyone see any good or bad on either?

Just something for you to consider -

KAiser Family Foundation March, 2016 - Traditional Medicare . . . .Disadvantaged ?

Valued Social Butterfly

Message 16 of 19

georgef926019 wrote:

I start medicare 10/1. I am in good health I think, take mo prescriptions but still can't decide on getting Medigap Plan F for long term peace of mind or go with a low or 0 premimum Advantage plan. Anyone see any good or bad on either?

I would strongly suggest you talk to a local expert about this. They should be able to assist you once they know all the details of your desires, and what benefits you will have from all sources. One thing I will tell you is that you will not get good advice in these forms. Get to the local expert. If you do not know one contact your local AARP Office as they can tell you where to get one.

Info Seeker +

Message 17 of 19

Both my parents had Medigap Plan F. They never got a bill to pay during their multiple hospitizations before they died. I had seen things about the government wanting to do away with the series F option. They want the patient to have to pay something out of pocket to get service, so they will tend to avoid care...or can't afford care.

For a few dollars more, it was worth it for me to get plan F. You get to pick doctors and hospitals all over the U.S. Who accept Medicare. This is important for travel, cancer tx, special services, etc. With an insurance companies advantage plan your choices are LIMITED TO PROVIDERS IN YOUR AREA as a general rule. Series F plan pays your copay for Medicare and has a limited coverage for international travel also. I don't like to nickeled and dimed, so I pay up front and don't deal w a possible bill if I have medical needs.

Valued Social Butterfly

Message 18 of 19

@georgef926019 - You might want to read and follow a discussion started on this thread, also.

http://community.aarp.org/t5/Medicare-Insurance/Why-did-you-choose-a-Medicare-Advantage-Plan-over-Or...

Info Seeker

Advantage plan or medigap

Message 19 of 19