How Does Your Brain Score? Take the Staying Sharp Brain Health Assessment

Highlighted
Valued Social Butterfly

Re: Advantage plan or medigap

Message 1 of 19 (127 Views)

ReTiReD51 wrote:

“I did not give advice on a dental plan. What I did do was tell a poster that a provision in their dental policy they were complaining about was common in dental policies. That is information not advice, and they can use that info when they see a local expert for their dental coverage”…john258

Oh! I see, you give “information” to others posters and the rest of us give “advice”. It’s all clear as mud now. Thanks.

There are a lot of posters who do not give advice on a posters indv. problem, but do give information on a subject in a discussion. That way a person can not be hurt. I fit into that group. Which group are you in?

Recognized Social Butterfly

[ Edited ]
Message 2 of 19 (153 Views)

“I did not give advice on a dental plan. What I did do was tell a poster that a provision in their dental policy they were complaining about was common in dental policies. That is information not advice, and they can use that info when they see a local expert for their dental coverage”…john258

Oh! I see, you give “information” to others posters and the rest of us give “advice”. It’s all clear as mud now. Thanks.

Valued Social Butterfly

Message 3 of 19 (159 Views)

ReTiReD51 wrote:

john258 wrote:

georgef926019 wrote:

I start medicare 10/1. I am in good health I think, take mo prescriptions but still can't decide on getting Medigap Plan F for long term peace of mind or go with a low or 0 premimum Advantage plan. Anyone see any good or bad on either?

I would strongly suggest you talk to a local expert about this. They should be able to assist you once they know all the details of your desires, and what benefits you will have from all sources. One thing I will tell you is that you will not get good advice in these forms. Get to the local expert. If you do not know one contact your local AARP Office as they can tell you where to get one.

“One thing I will tell you is that you will not get good advice in these forms.”..john258

This was my advice. Tell me what I said that is not correct:

“You’re in “good health” and “take no prescriptions” now. 
What do you think your health will be in 5 or 10 years?
The cost. What can you afford?
Medicare doesn’t cover everything. How much coverage will you need?
Do your homework learn what Medicare supplements and Medicare advantage plans are?
Talk to friends, talk to impartial Medicare experts.
Learn, only you know if it is right for you.”

Why do you say my post is not good advice?

Medicare eligible people need to know the answers to these questions before they see a “local expert” because I promise you they will be asked these questions.

That’s what these forums do, hopefully they help people understand the basics of Medicare, what they need to know about themselves in order to make their decision.

What about your post where you gave someone advice about a dental plan. 

Why is your opinion ok and nobody else’s opinion is?

ReTiReD51 wrote:

john258 wrote:

georgef926019 wrote:

I start medicare 10/1. I am in good health I think, take mo prescriptions but still can't decide on getting Medigap Plan F for long term peace of mind or go with a low or 0 premimum Advantage plan. Anyone see any good or bad on either?

I would strongly suggest you talk to a local expert about this. They should be able to assist you once they know all the details of your desires, and what benefits you will have from all sources. One thing I will tell you is that you will not get good advice in these forms. Get to the local expert. If you do not know one contact your local AARP Office as they can tell you where to get one.

“One thing I will tell you is that you will not get good advice in these forms.”..john258

Do your homework learn what Medicare supplements and Medicare advantage plans are?

Medicare eligible people need to know the answers to these questions before they see a “local expert” because I promise you they will be asked these questions.

That’s what these forums do, hopefully they help people understand the basics of Medicare, what they need to know about themselves in order to make their decision.

ReTiReD51 wrote:

john258 wrote:

georgef926019 wrote:

I have always said no one should give advice in here on the medical area, or legal area other than to tell a person to see a local expert.  The local person they talk to will be able to get all the information on the problem including external influence's pertaining to it. They will also know of any local influence's on the problem. Bad advice on a problem can result in the person being badly hurt. I will use myself as an example. A poster gave me some unasked for advice on Part D of medicare. If I had followed the advice it would have cost me over $1,000 per year. I have external things that influence my Medicare and the poster did not know about them. I did not give advice on a dental plan. What I did do was tell a poster that a provision in their dental policy they were complaining about was common in dental policies. That is information not advice, and they can use that info when they see a local expert for their dental coverage. No one should give advice other than send the person to a local expert. That way they will get the help they need.

Message 4 of 19 (174 Views)

john258 wrote:

georgef926019 wrote:

Valued Social Butterfly

Message 5 of 19 (194 Views)

ReTiReD51 wrote:

j59483j wrote:

I apologize if I have upset you. We sell services in Northeast Ohio. I have no idea where the original comment(er) is located. I was simply trying to be helpful and provide our resource guide from comparison. 

“We welcome contributors willing to share knowledge and experience in a particular area or field. Conversely, feel free to ask questions, since chances are very good that someone in the community can answer you”…. AARP guidelines.

You did nothing wrong. You shared what you know.

99.999% of the readers understand these forums and the various posts are suggestions and 99.999% of the readers will further investigate/do a little homework before they take action on a post suggestion.

Just follow the posts of anyone who takes exception to your posted suggestion and notice all the posted suggestions that they give on these threads.  They are not practicing what they preach when they question you or anyone else who shares what they know.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Well the person does sell services and did not put that in the post. Now were they looking for business or not? If they were the person with the problem was warned by my post to watch out. You would have them placed in the hands of anyone no matter how good or bad they were. If the business that posted stated that they were a business and were licensed to advise people all over the country and told the poster they were a business fine. If not they could have said here is how we would work with a person in our area but check with the person locally for your area. You just can not contain yourself from giving advice no matter  how much damage it might do. How sad. AARP should put a stop to this advice giving as in the long run AARP will be hurt.

[ Edited ]
Message 6 of 19 (213 Views)

j59483j wrote:

I apologize if I have upset you. We sell services in Northeast Ohio. I have no idea where the original comment(er) is located. I was simply trying to be helpful and provide our resource guide from comparison. 

“We welcome contributors willing to share knowledge and experience in a particular area or field. Conversely, feel free to ask questions, since chances are very good that someone in the community can answer you”…. AARP guidelines.

You did nothing wrong. You shared what you know.

99.999% of the readers understand these forums and the various posts are suggestions and 99.999% of the readers will further investigate/do a little homework before they take action on a post suggestion.

Just follow the posts of anyone who takes exception to your posted suggestion and notice all the posted suggestions that they give on these threads.  They are not practicing what they preach when they question you or anyone else who shares what they know.

Conversationalist

Message 7 of 19 (256 Views)

Hi Gail, yes you are absolutely correct.  I was simply trying to be helpful and provide the resource that we have. 

I have no idea where the original commenter is located and I am not trying to use the platform for anything but to be a helpful resource for both questions / answers (for myself and possibly others if they deem it helpful).

Thanks for your understanding. 

Conversationalist

Message 8 of 19 (258 Views)

Valued Social Butterfly

Message 9 of 19 (395 Views)

GailL1 wrote:

john258 wrote:

j59483j wrote:

I echo to talk to a local expert. The system can be very confusing to navigate. There are experts out there than can provide you all of the comparison information you need.

Check out the plan outlines here - Broken down for easy understanding... 

https://medicaresupplementstation.com/medicare-supplement-plans/

I have a question for you. Are you selling these plans to people. From your support article it would seem so. If that is true you should not be on here doing that. Everyone should be warned when we someone selling on here. Do not buy the product.

Since the original poster did not give his state, And these plans, both Medicare Advantage and Medicare Supplemental plans (Medigap) are sold in state specific areas, it would have to be the luck of the draw for this particular agencies ad to be anything other than an educational or understanding guide.  Course the government website for Medicare (Medicare.gov) has basically the same info on it.

I did NOT think that the poster you are responding to was soliciting but if you ever notice someone who is doing so blatantly, AARP wants to know about it so they can handle the matter themselves.  Report them using the "Inappropriate Content" button at the bottom of each post.  A box emerges for you to state why it is "Inappropriate Content".

Did that when I posted to them.

Valued Social Butterfly

Message 10 of 19 (415 Views)

john258 wrote:

j59483j wrote:

I echo to talk to a local expert. The system can be very confusing to navigate. There are experts out there than can provide you all of the comparison information you need.

Check out the plan outlines here - Broken down for easy understanding... 

https://medicaresupplementstation.com/medicare-supplement-plans/

I have a question for you. Are you selling these plans to people. From your support article it would seem so. If that is true you should not be on here doing that. Everyone should be warned when we someone selling on here. Do not buy the product.

Since the original poster did not give his state, And these plans, both Medicare Advantage and Medicare Supplemental plans (Medigap) are sold in state specific areas, it would have to be the luck of the draw for this particular agencies ad to be anything other than an educational or understanding guide.  Course the government website for Medicare (Medicare.gov) has basically the same info on it.

I did NOT think that the poster you are responding to was soliciting but if you ever notice someone who is doing so blatantly, AARP wants to know about it so they can handle the matter themselves.  Report them using the "Inappropriate Content" button at the bottom of each post.  A box emerges for you to state why it is "Inappropriate Content".