ACA Open Enrollment Ends Dec. 15. Review Your Options Before Being Locked in for 2018. Read More

Valued Social Butterfly

Re: ACA Reduced payments to Doctors over Ten Years by 716 Billion

Message 1 of 2

jj4783 wrote:

The AARP information is incorrect they are sending out in emails.  They are blaming these cuts in Medicare on the Republicans.  These cuts are a part of Obamacare that reduced payments to doctors.  So our cost goes up.  The Republicans do not want to repeal and replace Obamacare so these cuts stay in effect.   Not to worry, I think the Republicans want single payer plan.  It will be the greatest tax ever made on Americans and give the Federal Government more control of our lives.  Health care will be worse like the VA and the elderly will be at the end of the line for top medical care. 

I am have no way of knowing what "AARP information" this comment refers to but I do not believe the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act (PPACA) made any cut to doctors. Most of PPACA's "cuts" (see Note) were to acute care hospitals and skilled nursing facilities. PPACA also called for cuts to per-capita payments to sponsors of Part C Medicare health plans but those "cuts" never really materialized because PPACA also allowed for "quality bonus payments" to Part C plan sponsors and the bonus payments pretty much counteracted the planned "cuts" in the base per-capita payment. Part C has become widely popular since PPACA and the fact that the cuts never really materialized may be one of the reasons (Part C had been becoming more and more popular even before PPACA so the two facts might not be related either).

Doctor payments were cut by either the 1997 or 2003 Medicare law (I can't remember which) but those cuts never happened either. Every year or so from around 2000/2005 through 2015, Congress would pass what was called a "doc fix" bill. In 2015 or so, the so-called "doc-fix" was made permanent in a law called MACRA. It calls for very small raises in doctor rates through around 2025 or so (at which time, Trustees expect Congress will again pass some kind of new "doc-fix")

If the original commenter can post the source of the "AARP information" referrred to, perhaps this comment could be amended.

NOTE: As is typical in Washington, almost every time you see the word "cut," the politician really means slowed spending growth versus previous estimates of spending growth. Real people -- as opposed to people in Washington -- usually think slowed spending growth is a good thing.

Report Inappropriate Content
Bronze Conversationalist

ACA Reduced payments to Doctors over Ten Years by 716 Billion

Message 2 of 2

The AARP information is incorrect they are sending out in emails.  They are blaming these cuts in Medicare on the Republicans.  These cuts are a part of Obamacare that reduced payments to doctors.  So our cost goes up.  The Republicans do not want to repeal and replace Obamacare so these cuts stay in effect.   Not to worry, I think the Republicans want single payer plan.  It will be the greatest tax ever made on Americans and give the Federal Government more control of our lives.  Health care will be worse like the VA and the elderly will be at the end of the line for top medical care. 

Report Inappropriate Content