Refresh your driving skills and you could save on your auto insurance! Sign up for the AARP Smart Driver course.

Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Re: AARP not really for seniors

Message 1 of 7

You are absolutely correct in the fact that AARP is corrupted. AARP is fraud saying it is not for profit charging members membership fees. My church has no membership fee it is truly not for profit . Church will ask for donations ,fund raiser,and bake sales. AARP is bought off by high dollar multi billion dollar insurance companies that infact prey on the elderly. Those companies charge over average rates and offer few if no service at all ( scam) AARP volunteers at library tax help steal your information ,and even sell your tax return information to third party companies. I have the AARP booklet provided at those locations (library) that proves it. AARP has gotten rich off taking advantage of the elderly ,not protecting them. They should pay taxes or go to jail for tax evasion. AARP is a total scam of unsuspecting elderly. This is not the same AARP from twenty years ago. Run from AARP fast ...no benefits at all. You can get restaurant discounts everywhere and you don't need a Membership with AARP to get them.

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 2 of 7

Do silver slippers have anything to do with AARP

Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 3 of 7
AARP is a Spam and Junk Mail Monster. This is not the original company. This version [last 10-15yrs] is a Corporate Sponsor mainly for all types of Insurance Companies and prey upon the Elderly and their pocketbooks; it is Shameless.
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 4 of 7

I have never used any of AARPs discounts since none of them could compete with the services I have used for at least over 20 years each, some such as State Farm for over 40 years. However, I am still extremely disappointed in AARP for their lack of regard for the seniors they are supposed to be championing. When I realized that they are supporting all the insanity surrounding opiates and their supposed cause of all things suicide/overdose related, I realized that they no longer cared that many of the users of prescription opiates are older people with chronic pain disorders such as myself, with CRPS. They don't care that the only way we can function with even a semblance of a life is with these meds to help the pain. Nor do they care that it isn't the older pain management patients that are overdosing, but the young people buying these off the streets. We are also the least likely candidates to escalate to heroin usage. We manage our meds carefully so we can go about a normal day. If we abused them we wouldn't be able to function well. If AARP cared at all they would be refuting these self serving studies and bringing the hardships these have caused to seniors to the fore. They would be making an effort to make the CDC and the public recognize that they are hurting true pain patients and not really putting a dent in the street drug distribution.

The bottom line is, AARP has taken on the party line that the govt and corporations have fed them to maintain their advertisements and corporate donations. They stopped caring about the older, often disabled, population and because of that they have lost my respect. 

Kudos
Views
Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 5 of 7

I'm a 'young' senior with a lifetime AARP membership. Because of our unique domicile (attached wrap-around, two-story commercial grade greenhouse), The Hartford refused to insure our home. This after weeks of promises and back and forth. And so their auto insurance rates could not compete with State Farm through which we've insured both the property and vehicles for years, and through which we receive a number of 'loyalty' discounts'. (I regularly seek quotes from other companies; our insurance rose $50 this year with no changes to our status: time to gather quotes again.) So I don't know what's the what with regards to The Hartford except to say that my dealings with them left a sour taste in my mouth and it will take something like a gilded promise of nearly free full coverage for me to deal with them again. Smiley Happy

That being said, my AARP membership has gifted me with learning opportunities, access to vast knowledge, discounts on travel and merchandise, an auto insurance discount (after taking the Driver Safety course), free date nights (Movies for Grownups), a rewards credit card that pays me between $300-$400 a year to use it like a checking account ... other benefits that my brain on one cup of coffee is refusing to produce. Smiley Happy

I second the 'research other discounts' idea, for I, too, receive better discounts from other sources on things like cell service, outdoor equipment, food, and routine purchases.

All FWIW. Smiley Happy

"The key to success is to keep growing in all areas of life - mental, emotional, spiritual, as well as physical." Julius Erving
Kudos
Views
Super Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 6 of 7

I joined AARP on 50th bday over 15 yrs ago. I bought lifetime membership (not available on site; need to call), and have since gifted same to Mom and sibs when they turned 50.

We have never had any issues ever. Auto insurance rates cut in half, travel discounts always honored. At my age I can honestly write more than satisfied with The Hartford.

Unfortunately my driving status has changed in 50 years; I have aged, I had a ticket, I had different vehicles, I lived in different states. That is not on The Hartford; that's my situation, not theirs.

The other discounts, can't dispute or disprove. I only know I don't rely on AARP only for best pricing.

Always research alternative discounts.

I am dedicated GoogleFi wireless customer (from launch 2+ years ago); no service issues and I know I could not have less expensive service with any other provider (I check quarterly).

That being said, good luck at the new org. Keep us posted.

#VegasStrong

Phil Harris, actor and showman, to John Fogerty of CCR: “If I’d known I’d live this long, I’d have taken better care of myself.”
Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Info Seeker +
Kudos
Views
Replies

AARP not really for seniors

Message 7 of 7

I have been an AARP member on and off for almost thirty years.  I just noticed that that my ID card stated that I have been a member since 2007.  I found out several years ago that I had two accounts with AARP and was paying for both memberships.  I guess I got confused because they start dunning you for renewal of your membership a year in advance.  Lately AARP hasn't been much help the services that I use most.  AARP recomends UnitedHealthCare which I used for several years until the cost of their membership raised over $50 a month.  I am now with HealthNet and saved over $2000 the first year.  Hartford Auto Insurance raised their rate by 43%  for basic liability on a 25 year old auto.  My driving statis hasn't changed in 50 years and Hartford would not give a reason for the change.  Consumer Cellular has been a thorn in my side for the last two years for reasons to numerous here but now I have service with Great Call and filed a complaint with the FCC.  AARP recommended all of these and failed to backup any complaints.  I think that one may be better served by AMAC at http://amac.us "The Association of Mature American Citizens".  I am going to give them a try because they don't seem to have the complaints that AARP has.  Keep on enjoying life because it is not long enough.  Thank you.

CrankyOne
Tags (3)
Kudos
Views
Replies
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

Have a question about AARP membership or benefits? Ask it in the AARP Help Membership forum, Benefits & Discounts forum, or General forum.

multiple white question marks with center red question mark

Top Authors