AARP and health insurance for members under age 65????

Highlighted
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Re: AARP and health insurance for members under age 65????

Message 1 of 38

You are supposed to help me I'm willing to pay the fees help me with my knees

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 2 of 38

Why am I having such a hard time to connect to you guys at AARP I watch your commercials on TV. You why I'm having such a hard time my name is Phillip Adams my phone number is three one two two hundred iPhone 6 6-3

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 3 of 38

My husband recently retired (12/31/19) at 65 but I'm 62 and will need medical insurance,  I can sign up for COBRA but will need affordable insurance in the meanwhile.

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 4 of 38

@GeorgeB177961 wrote:

What is the process of getting medical insurance from AARP as a member?

Be 65 years old * and eligible for Medicare - then you have a choice of either of these (and a whole lot of others not branded by AARP:

• An AARP branded Medicare Advantage Plan from United Health Care - you don't have to be a member for this one -

OR

• An AARP branded MEDIGAP plan which supplements original Medicare - have to be a member for this one

If you meet the 65 years old and Medicare eligibility requirement - start your search here https://www.aarpmedicareplans.com/ 

* some insurers in some states may sell some type plans to those less than 65 IF they are on Medicare as a result of a disability which has lasted more than 24 months.

* * * * It's Always Something . . . Roseanne Roseannadanna
Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 5 of 38

What is the process of getting medical insurance from AARP as a member?

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 6 of 38

Hello,, just need alittle help. My husband has Medicare but I don't turn 65 till March 24. Does aarp united health help people like me with doctors and RX'S.  PLEASE  let me know what advice you can offer.  

SANTINA RAPER 

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Frequent Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 7 of 38

Involuntary loss of employer group health triggers an SEP. Contact healthcare dot gov for assistance.

Bark less. Wag more.
Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 8 of 38

I need some insurance cause mines was cancelled on my job and me constantly going back and for to the doctor for my knee is expensive money that I don’t have  Help me please!!!

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 9 of 38

@kcwitthaus wrote:
I have to agree. I am not self employed, but my employers provider just raised the price of some of my generic medications by over 600% after turning 60. It use to cost me $46.00 without any insurance co-pays. It all came out of my pocket. Now the prescription company says that the insurance company has dictated new, higher initial costs.

A few things that could help your situation.

1.  In October 2018, Congress passed legislation to lift the "gag" rule on pharmacist preventing them from telling you the price of your medications WITHOUT using your insurance especially if the amount is lower than your insurance cost.

You can read more about this here:

Kaiser Health News October 11, 2018 - No More Secrets: Congress Bans Pharmacist ‘Gag Orders’ On Drug...

2.  Review your medications on GoodRx.com and see if there is a place in your area where the cost of these meds are lower without using your insurance - sometimes there are even coupons that you can use at specific places.

3.  Buy them via Canada - I use Blue Sky Drugs - Rx from Canada but others here can also give recommendations of other reputable Canadian pharmacies.

At least check the prices of your meds using these sites - you maybe very surprised.  Using your insurance for them is not always the best way.  Insurance is a pooled resource - sometimes you just have to look out for #1 (yourself)

There is a lot of legislation being proposed that could lower the cost of Rx meds in the U.S. - many of these are supported in a bipartisan way.  Course many of them are geared to reducing the cost of Rx for the government in Medicare and Medicaid but it would be a beginning.  Let's just hope our Congresscritters can get together and pass all or at least some of them when the new ones begin their duty in January 2019.

* * * * It's Always Something . . . Roseanne Roseannadanna
Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 10 of 38
I have to agree. I am not self employed, but my employers provider just raised the price of some of my generic medications by over 600% after turning 60. It use to cost me $46.00 without any insurance co-pays. It all came out of my pocket. Now the prescription company says that the insurance company has dictated new, higher initial costs.
Kudos
Views
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

AARP Coronavirus Call-in Event

AARP will host a weekly, live Coronavirus Information Tele-Town Hall on Thursdays at 1 pm (ET). Learn more on AARP's Coronavirus Tele-Town Hall page and join us each week for the latest information.

Calling is toll-free. During the 90-minute live event, government experts will answer your questions and address health concerns related to COVID-19.

Top Authors