Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Re: AARP and health insurance for members under age 65????

Message 1 of 33

Hello,, just need alittle help. My husband has Medicare but I don't turn 65 till March 24. Does aarp united health help people like me with doctors and RX'S.  PLEASE  let me know what advice you can offer.  

SANTINA RAPER 

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Frequent Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 2 of 33

Involuntary loss of employer group health triggers an SEP. Contact healthcare dot gov for assistance.

Bark less. Wag more.
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 3 of 33

I need some insurance cause mines was cancelled on my job and me constantly going back and for to the doctor for my knee is expensive money that I don’t have  Help me please!!!

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 4 of 33

@kcwitthaus wrote:
I have to agree. I am not self employed, but my employers provider just raised the price of some of my generic medications by over 600% after turning 60. It use to cost me $46.00 without any insurance co-pays. It all came out of my pocket. Now the prescription company says that the insurance company has dictated new, higher initial costs.

A few things that could help your situation.

1.  In October 2018, Congress passed legislation to lift the "gag" rule on pharmacist preventing them from telling you the price of your medications WITHOUT using your insurance especially if the amount is lower than your insurance cost.

You can read more about this here:

Kaiser Health News October 11, 2018 - No More Secrets: Congress Bans Pharmacist ‘Gag Orders’ On Drug...

2.  Review your medications on GoodRx.com and see if there is a place in your area where the cost of these meds are lower without using your insurance - sometimes there are even coupons that you can use at specific places.

3.  Buy them via Canada - I use Blue Sky Drugs - Rx from Canada but others here can also give recommendations of other reputable Canadian pharmacies.

At least check the prices of your meds using these sites - you maybe very surprised.  Using your insurance for them is not always the best way.  Insurance is a pooled resource - sometimes you just have to look out for #1 (yourself)

There is a lot of legislation being proposed that could lower the cost of Rx meds in the U.S. - many of these are supported in a bipartisan way.  Course many of them are geared to reducing the cost of Rx for the government in Medicare and Medicaid but it would be a beginning.  Let's just hope our Congresscritters can get together and pass all or at least some of them when the new ones begin their duty in January 2019.

* * * * It's Always Something . . . Roseanne Roseannadanna
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 5 of 33
I have to agree. I am not self employed, but my employers provider just raised the price of some of my generic medications by over 600% after turning 60. It use to cost me $46.00 without any insurance co-pays. It all came out of my pocket. Now the prescription company says that the insurance company has dictated new, higher initial costs.
Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 6 of 33

I am quite aware of the costs of Medicare at present, and I sure hope AARP is getting out there to keep the benefits we have worked so hard for and paid so much over decades of work history to have!

It just seems that people in the 50 to 65 group who are self-employed should have some kind of reasonable option in this country for healthcare. I was lucky enough to be able to handle the exhorbitant costs of the past decade, and perhaps those who cannot can get better rates from Obamacare. But the company that I had signed up with first doubled their rates in one year, then decided to cancel the plan altogether, forcing me to go with Obamacare, which was even more expensive yet.

One of my prescriptions was about $90/quarter when I was working for a corporation, and when I became self-employed, suddenly the same drug costs me $425/quarter. Why don't they just consider us part of some kind of group of self-employed people so we can get a reasonable price on prescriptions?

Honestly, many poorer and smaller countries (like Vietnam, Thailand, and Rwanda) have managed to provide solid basic healthcare to their people without causing financial distress. The medical insurance industry and precription drug providers here are surely raking in the profits on the backs of sick people (and even those who are NOT sick, but still have to pay crazy rates, like me.)

Anyway, as you can see, this is a hot button for me. It feels terribly unfair, and I just wish AARP was able to do something to help people in our position.

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 7 of 33

@ellenb640249 wrote:

BTW, once I'm on Medicare, it looks like I'll be able to get EVERYTHING covered with Medicare plus a supplemental plan for less than $400/mo. That's close to a $1000/mo difference for me!

You do have to remember that you have years and years of you and and your employer paying into Medicare Part A with payroll deductions and the employer match.

Are you also considering the Part B Medicare premiums that Medicare beneficiaries have to pay.  For most everybody for 2019, that is $ 135.50 per month.  Unless you are a higher income senior and then the price goes up based on your income of $ 85,000 per year and over.

Part B cost are shared with the government - currently 25% of the cost of the program is paid by beneficiaries in premiums and 75% is paid out of our governments General Fund.  With the huge number of baby boomers getting older and using more card, this premium can go nowhere but up.  Same will be true of any Medigap premium (Supplemental ins - Medicare GAP insurance) which increases with whatever rating method is used + medical inflation or cost of healthcare.

Then there are the Part D premiums too.

Add in a hundred or more in monthly cost for a Medigap plan.

And don't be late in signing up for Part B or Part D when eligible because then there are premium penalties assessed which go on forever.

Sure it will be cheaper hopefully but it is not in very good financial shape so who knows what may happen in the future.

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 8 of 33

@ellenb640249 wrote:

Easy to say that ACA will take care of everything. Not for me. I am in my early 60s, self-employed, and do not have any serious medical conditions (such as diabetes, cancer or cancer history, heart problems, high blood pressure, etc.) Yet I have to pay $912.07 just for my health insurance premium, plus a $5600 deductible, plus co-pays for any doctor visits. My few prescriptions are not covered at all until the deductible is met and a couple are not cheap. This is a rip-off, plain and simple, since anyone who works for a corporation or the government pays so much less. I did not want to go without insurance because at my age, something unexpected could happen. I'm just sorry that AARP cannot do anything to help people who are 50+ but less than 65. Can't wait for Medicare to kick in!

It sounds like you aren't getting a tax credit premium subsidy on your current health insurance.  That could be for a couple of reasons - either you are making over 400% of the Federal Poverty level and are income disqualified for receiving a tax credit premium subsidy under an ACA plan, which is a BIG problem with Obamacare, OR you are buying your coverage OFF the Exchange.

I just don't understand why you or anybody else thinks if AARP set up some sort of Association health insurance plan for those 50+ but less than 65 would make premiums less expensive considering that many in this category maybe disabled or just with the 3X age rating which Obamacare permits for this age

group.

It is having younger and healthier people in the mix to balance out the older and/or sicker that helps keep premiums constrained.

It is not like this subject age group of 50+ but under 65 would get Medicare Advantage rates.   

Association plans like any other private insurance needs a mix of healthier and younger to balance out the older and perhaps sicker individuals.

Open enrollment in Obamacare is now going on, why not check for another ACA plan on the Exchange to see if you can get a policy that better serves your health needs.  Healthcare.gov can give you your options or your state's own Exchange if they have one.

Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 9 of 33

BTW, once I'm on Medicare, it looks like I'll be able to get EVERYTHING covered with Medicare plus a supplemental plan for less than $400/mo. That's close to a $1000/mo difference for me!

Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 10 of 33

Easy to say that ACA will take care of everything. Not for me. I am in my early 60s, self-employed, and do not have any serious medical conditions (such as diabetes, cancer or cancer history, heart problems, high blood pressure, etc.) Yet I have to pay $912.07 just for my health insurance premium, plus a $5600 deductible, plus co-pays for any doctor visits. My few prescriptions are not covered at all until the deductible is met and a couple are not cheap. This is a rip-off, plain and simple, since anyone who works for a corporation or the government pays so much less. I did not want to go without insurance because at my age, something unexpected could happen. I'm just sorry that AARP cannot do anything to help people who are 50+ but less than 65. Can't wait for Medicare to kick in!

Kudos
Views
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

Open Enrollment: Oct 15-Dec 7, 2019 Find resources to help you decide on the best healthcare insurance plans for you during Open Enrollment season

Top Authors