AARP Members Enjoy Exclusive Discounts on Travel, Dining and More. Join Today

Valued Social Butterfly

Re: AARP and United Health Care

Message 1 of 6

SassiLady wrote:

Well at least you gave me a laugh this morning. I already checked out SHIP Sunday afternoon. Wow! not..  ONE meeting scheduled for Bay County Florida and it is on Tuesday morning, 10:30-12:30 in Panama City. This is not very efficient. Thanks but no thanks as I have a previouss doctor visit scheduled that morning and can't cancel it.

When is government ever efficient ??????

Report Inappropriate Content
Trusted Social Butterfly

Message 2 of 6

Well at least you gave me a laugh this morning. I already checked out SHIP Sunday afternoon. Wow! not..  ONE meeting scheduled for Bay County Florida and it is on Tuesday morning, 10:30-12:30 in Panama City. This is not very efficient. Thanks but no thanks as I have a previouss doctor visit scheduled that morning and can't cancel it.

Valued Social Butterfly

Message 3 of 6

SassiLady wrote:

You replied to asiaexec30 and I would like to add a few things regarding UHC's Medicare Advantage Plan w/part D.

The plan for this year, 2017, had them moving some drugs from tier 2 to tier 3 doubled the cost. They lowered the deductible for tier 3 by $20. NOW, I don't know what they are doing regarding moving drugs to a higher tier this year but they are upping the deductible on tier 3 from $230 to $395. That is a $165 jump in price. This needs to be looked into, also the copay for tier 2 is $47 for a 30 day supply and it jumps up to $100 in tier 3.

Add these woes to the fact that you never know from one day to the next if your doctor is still going to be in network or not.

Another woe is that as we get older it becomes more difficult for us to wade through all the information necessary to make any changes to our health care plans.

I know drug cost are getting higher.    If we did it another way like Medicare negotiating drug prices the selection would have to be toned down extensively for the best bargaining power.

Changes to the plan are the reason why there is a yearly open enrollment period so you can better access your needs and cost.

If a plan changes too much during the contract period and these changes affect you adversely, you can apply to Medicare for a Special circumstance Special Enrollment Period.  It is decided on a case by case basis in this instance.

Medicare.gov - Special Circumstances (Special Enrollment Period)

Many of us who are or who have been caregivers do this best choice plan selection for those to whom we render care.

You can elect another person to do it for you or can get help from several different organizations - SHIP or whatever it is called in your state,

Medicare.gov -'Contacts - State Health Insurance Assistance Programs and others

If you live in senior housing, sometimes there are social workers which help those who need help in selecting their plan.

Trusted Social Butterfly

Message 4 of 6

You replied to asiaexec30 and I would like to add a few things regarding UHC's Medicare Advantage Plan w/part D.

The plan for this year, 2017, had them moving some drugs from tier 2 to tier 3 doubled the cost. They lowered the deductible for tier 3 by $20. NOW, I don't know what they are doing regarding moving drugs to a higher tier this year but they are upping the deductible on tier 3 from $230 to $395. That is a $165 jump in price. This needs to be looked into, also the copay for tier 2 is $47 for a 30 day supply and it jumps up to $100 in tier 3.

Add these woes to the fact that you never know from one day to the next if your doctor is still going to be in network or not.

Another woe is that as we get older it becomes more difficult for us to wade through all the information necessary to make any changes to our health care plans.

Highlighted
Valued Social Butterfly

Message 5 of 6

You have picked a good time to shop and consider your options. 

Open enrollment starts on October 15 and runs to December 7, 2017. 

If your Medicare Med D plan is a free-standing one, you can shop it by your zip code and the medications you are taking to determine which is the best plan for your needs.

If it is combined within a Medicare Advantage plan, you will have to shop the whole plan to another, again basing your choice on what is available in your area that will give you the best overall coverage, including a prescription drug plan.

Here is some info from the Medicare.gov site which will help you find a new plan of either type

Medicare.gov - Medicare Plan Finder

Just follow it along and it will give you some options for your area.

Info Seeker

AARP and United Health Care

Message 6 of 6

I have had an ongoing battle with United Health Care regarding Novolog Flexpen, insulin.

They only have one brand from which to select and this is a very serious drug for people with type 2 diabetas .We are required to use Novolog Flexpen and I have written several letters to United telling them that the pen does not function properly and I would like to use Humalog KwikPen.

The letters they sent me were pathetic . . . . Very poorly written, telling me how they are doing so much for their subscribers by keeping the cost of medications down, blah, blah, blah.

Never once addressing my topic of a poorly functioning mechanical pen.  

I told them about how I took to much insulin a couple of times, waking in the middle of the night with my blood sugar in the 40 range . . . . .  a little lower and I may not have wakened.

Now the facts are: !) my monthly premium have almost doubled in the last three years and raising another 15% 2018.   2) They changed their scale so that if your prescription is a 31 day supply, your copay is for a two month supply.  3) Another drug that I take is Armour Thyroid, which they no longer accept, costing me over $400 for a 90 day supply, in lieu of $120  copay.

How is this helping the senior consumer?  

Now to make matters worse . . . AARP, our senior advocate, has done nothing to support my concerns and they were copied on all of the correspondence.  Of course they are making a lot of money from United Health . . . . so screw their members!

I am not signing up for United Health for 2018 and I am leaving AARP as soon as my membership runs out and making sure everyone I know does the same.