Caring for a loved one? Find a part-time job that fits your schedule. Search the AARP Job Board.

Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: AARP MedicareComplete Plan 1 HMO out of pocket costs for hip and knee replacement

Message 1 of 2

@rwojtyna wrote:

My doctor advised me to get a left hip and knee as soon as I can.  I want to know the cost that I will pay for each total out of pocket?  I have AARP MedicareComplete Plan 1 HMO.

My annual cap is $6,800 and I live in the NYC area.  Can I get both operations in one year?

Since you have an HMO the MOST important thing is to STAY within the HMO (local) network - all providers of any and all services - because having it or any part of it done out of network will most likely mean the HMO insurer won't pay anything - all that is covered in your specific plan.

As to your total out of pocket cost (in-network) - READ YOUR PLAN or have a trusted knowledgeable person go over it with you - that might be a SHIP agent in your state, an independent Medicare insurance broker that sells the plan in your local area, or a representative of the actual insurer.  I do not believe that AARP gets into that sort of specific since they only make money from the use of their name on the Medicare policy - they are not the insurer.

You bought this Medicare Advantage policy - you need to understand it.

If you have the (medical) option, depending whether or not,  one or both of the procedures are done on either an inpatient or outpatient basis - they will be covered differently so make sure you know which - inpatient / out patient.

Having it done all in one year, is probably up to your doctor - and your body and how it heals but most likely you can.

Open enrollment starts next week ( For 2019 coverage, open enrollment will run from October 15, 2018, to December 7, 2018) - during that time Medicare eligible seniors can pick and switch Medicare Advantage plans -  so you might want to make sure this is your best pick for next year, since most likely you are planning for these surgeries in 2019.

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views
Replies

AARP MedicareComplete Plan 1 HMO out of pocket costs for hip and knee replacement

Message 2 of 2

My doctor advised me to get a left hip and knee as soon as I can.  I want to know the cost that I will pay for each total out of pocket?  I have AARP MedicareComplete Plan 1 HMO.

My annual cap is $6,800 and I live in the NYC area.  Can I get both operations in one year?

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Replies