Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

Contributor

AARP Advocacy Issue

I'm getting bombarded by emails asking me to call my legislators to encourage passage of the "lower prescription drug" bill that is a part of Build Back Better.  I have no interest in encouraging 90% of Build Back Better.  I will save my advocacy efforts for a more targeted objective.

Regular Contributor

Drug companies are really struggling. Roads an bridges are in great shape. Our society is doing so well. Keep it up. At least take your shoes off. No need to ruin a good pair of shoes when you shoot your self in the foot. 

0 Kudos
Social Butterfly

I didn’t mind giving an unfunded $2 trillion dollar giveaway to billionaires in 2017.

But I draw the line at helping seniors, children, the working poor, middle class and average Americans.

0 Kudos
Bronze Conversationalist

@ReTiReD51 I am not aware of a $2 Trillion giveaway to billionaires in 2017. Are you referring to the Tax Cut and Jobs Act of 2017 signed into law on December 22, 2017? If so, the TCJA provided tax cuts and tax credits to all taxpayers not just billionaires. As you may not recall, the TCJA increased the Standard Deduction from $6,350/$12,700 single/married to $12,000/$24,000 single/married. It also reduced the tax rates 2%, 3%, or 4% for certain tax brackets. I think the majority of taxpayers who were in the 15% and 25% tax brackets pre-TCJA are now in the 12% and 22% tax brackets post-TCJA. Moreover, the TCJA initially provided Child Tax Credits of $2,000 for folks below a certain income threshold. Also, it should be noted that the Labor Participation Rate (LPR) increased from 62.7% in December 2017 to 63.0% in December 2018; and, to 63.3% in December 2019. Based on the above, one may assume the TCJA had a positive affect in creating jobs until the pandemic began in 2020. I am providing a link to the LPR stats from 2001 https://www.bls.gov/charts/employment-situation/civilian-labor-force-participation-rate.htm  Here is an example of our current status: population 325 million; eligible workforce 250 million; employed 155 million or .62 or 62%. I would estimate that 50% or more of the difference of 95 million are physically unable to work or disabled. I have rounded all numbers for simplicity. 

0 Kudos

Hello Everyone,

Please abide by the guidelines, and note that political discussion for the sake of political discussion and not answering the questions posed in the thread is forbidden.

Politics Forum sunsetting FAQ 

Thank you for your cooperation in making the AARP Community a safe and welcoming place for all.

http://community.aarp.org/t5/custom/page/page-id/Guidelines

0 Kudos
Regular Contributor

Please excuse me. You are right. I sincerely apologize. Thanks for your post. 

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

@cp7918 wrote:

. . . .  I will save my advocacy efforts for a more targeted objective.

"lower prescription drug" bill that is a part of Build Back Better. 

Me, too.  

It's Always Something . . . . Roseanna Roseannadanna
0 Kudos
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Atari Asteroids® and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP